Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Guy who LARPs running for Congress

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-26862462

Jake Rush, a Florida Republican who is planning to run for congress, has been outed as LARPer.

After images of him dressed as a vampire were circulated, he released a photo of himself and his wife dressed as superheroes.

It remains to be seen what the general public will think of all this.

• Like 6

Good for him, and his wife.

Now if we could just get people to vote on someone's actual political stance, rather than their hobbies or pedigree....

~v

• Like 8

NEEEERRRRRRRRDDDD!!

He has my respect.  I don't think the public will mind. At least he has a nice safe and fun hobby as opposed to...I don't know...spending tax dollars on women and drugs? 

• Like 8

Good for him, and his wife.

Now if we could just get people to vote on someone's actual political stance, rather than their hobbies or pedigree....

~v

This. A thousand times, this!!!!

• Like 4

Since I got forced out of active duty army, (curse you congress!!!) I joined a national guard unit and last year at the annual training at Fort Drum, NY all the big wigs were making fun of LARPers.  While I just sat quietly in my corner and thought about my tiny dolls and buildings.  Its a running joke now where they say someone is  a LARPer.

• Like 3

Since I got forced out of active duty army, (curse you congress!!!) I joined a national guard unit and last year at the annual training at Fort Drum, NY all the big wigs were making fun of LARPers.  While I just sat quietly in my corner and thought about my tiny dolls and buildings.  Its a running joke now where they say someone is  a LARPer.

Isn't LARPing really what OPFOR does at NTC/JRTC/JMRC?  

:upside:

• Like 5

Isn't LARPing really what OPFOR does at NTC/JRTC/JMRC?  

:upside:

And they get the really cool toys, too.

In my opinion even a public figure's personal life should stay personal.  Unless a person's off-the-clock activities endanger or hurt others, I have no real problem with what someone chooses to do with their free time.  What I care about when it comes to elected officials is whether or not they get things done and make life better for those they serve, not that they dress up like an elf.

• Like 7

They made a big fuss about a state senator from Maine who played WoW a few years back, but she won her election. Hopefully, this will turn into so much hot air too.

(Of course, I don't know much about either person, so I can't say if they should, or should not, be elected, in general.)

Edited by klarg1

You sure they weren't talking about LRRPers? :lol:

One hopes that the attempts by the mainstream media to put us geeks back into our shells fail horribly, and help to make things like this not only unremarkable, but ignorable.

I will decide who I vote for based on policy, not on hobby (unless the hobby is something like collecting victims), but I would be more likely to support this candidate based upon the strength of charter I believe he displayed when he was "outed". He did not apologize, or issue a retraction, or try to defend himself (which might have made him look weak or not committed) but rather said, yeah, that's a bad pic. This superhero one is really cool, please use it!  He is not afraid or ashamed of his geek side, and I applaud that.