Sign in to follow this  
Owlmabbitt

Mouseling Wizard

Part of 03529 sculpted by Gene Van Horne. Constructive criticism and suggestions welcomed.

I've been postponing starting this mouseling because of the difficulty of tight spaces. I've become more adept at using a long brush with a tiny amount of paint on the tip to reach hard-to-reach places without smearing what is already done, but it was still a trial that took a number of fixings.

My image of this mouseling was the wizard Radogast from the books of Lord of the Rings (not that shown in the Hobbit movies, much as I love Sylvester McCoy) but couldn't really fit a forest and cute creatures on his base. We are left with soil (reaper muddy brown with Citadel sepia and earth shades), grass (Army Painter battlefields wilderness tuft 4mm) and autumn leaves (Secret Weapon Fallen Leaves Fall colors). I felt the 'staff' was much too thick for him to carry, and that it must be a way-marker. (Does anyone else make up little back stories for their characters?)

post-12772-0-02968200-1396603547_thumb.jpgpost-12772-0-79398900-1396603551_thumb.jpg

Radogast is very much looking out from under his hat, so I've included a shot of him tipped back to see his face more clearly.

post-12772-0-90911100-1396603554_thumb.jpgpost-12772-0-31309200-1396603558_thumb.jpgpost-12772-0-64995900-1396603561_thumb.jpg

This is photographed using a home-made light box and my nice macro lens. It did take a while to get the balance of light and f number correct. Apologies that its not all in focus.

• Like 9

This is a really nicely done figure, with good harmonies of color and impressive shading and color variations. I like how you painted the eyes, quite small so that the rest of the socket looks a bit like the hollows or bags of age.

You might wish to consider a little more shading on the face to help bring out the expression. But honestly, it looks great as it is.

• Like 1

Thank you Pingo. The mouseling faces are difficult to shade, as I also try to make the fur somewhat mixed in colour the way real mouse fur is. I agree more shading would help.

He looks awesome! I've been tempted to pick up a few mouselings myself, but honestly, I have way more than necessary to paint right now. Also great job on the pics! I haven't been able to master SLR manual settings, but they do look much better than pics with my phone. I love that you used the original version, as we know how much liberty Hollywood takes with original material. Kudos to this great piece!

• Like 1

(I love Sylvester McCoy too but I do not care for anything Peter Jackson embellished Tolkien's oeuvre with. No, not one single Hollywoodifiedclichétritetropeification.)

• Like 3

Nice! Now I need to try doing one in green... done two now in blues.

• Like 1

Also great job on the pics! I haven't been able to master SLR manual settings, but they do look much better than pics with my phone. I love that you used the original version, as we know how much liberty Hollywood takes with original material. Kudos to this great piece!

Thank you. For my SLR I set aperture priority (Av) at 6.3, ISO at 800 and let it fix the rest. There are 3 diffused desk lights shining on the box. Tolkein is the master.

• Like 2