03468: Barbarian Hero.....aka just a touch of melons

Welp, for most of yesterday and some of this morning my wife convinced me to work on the 03468: Barbarian Hero.  I went a different direction then some by giving him gray skin and red eyes to look like my Pathfinder Half-Orc Barbarian named Runt Skullcrusher.  At first I didn't really like the direction it was going, but then it started to fall into place enough for me to like it.  I was hesitant to post anything up since I'm a newb (this is my third miniature I've ever painted) but the wife has reassured me that you guys are nice and such so I figured what the hell, why not.  So I figured I'd post it here in the WIP's since I can always fix things. I know my camera sucks to all holy hell and I don't have any fancy light boxes, so I did the best with what I have:

It's hard to see the red eyes in this one because his brow is so damn big it casts its own shadow....

WP_20140404_036_zps53186f01.jpg?t=139662

Gotta hit that from the back (of course)...

WP_20140404_038_zpsd407cc43.jpg

Once more...cha-cha real smooth...

WP_20140404_039_zps5bafa16c.jpg

My phone makes the colors look bleh but I'm happy with it in person.  Feel free to leave me any comments and suggestions.

P.S. Yelling out newb is also acceptable as I am, in fact, one.

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 15

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job!  I can totally see Elder Scrolls, I was like ack stupid Skyrim bad guys are chasing me!

I hate when you paint something cool but you can't see it.  Like "Ha ha it took me an hour to do these eyes"  but you can only see them if the mini is lying down!

• Like 1

Nice job!  I can totally see Elder Scrolls, I was like ack stupid Skyrim bad guys are chasing me!

I hate when you paint something cool but you can't see it.  Like "Ha ha it took me an hour to do these eyes"  but you can only see them if the mini is lying down!

I took like 14 pictures to try and get the eyes man...

I didn't post the one that showed the eyes cause it was almost under his nose. And I didn't want to be known as "the miniature selfie" guy.

• Like 2

That's definitely a great mini for #3. Good concept, nice color choices and I can see some attention to brush control and putting highlights where they belong. Nice job!

I'm also partial to barbarians (5 of the 35 or so minis I've painted), Tre Manor's sculpts (I'm painting his Svetlana right now) and grey dudes. So yeah. Awesome.

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to more.

• Like 1

Creative take on the figure. He makes a good half-orc.  I like the subdued color palette you used. Gives him a no-nonsense look. 

A piece of white paper behind your figure will help even a noob with a crap camera. It will reflect light and give you more contrast in your photo. Also it gives the camera something to color correct by. Then if you pick up one of the free photo editing software packages, YOU have a baseline for your own editing, as you know that background is white. 

• Like 1

He definitely looks like he hails from Morrowind, although it'd be scary to see a Dunmer that size. At any rate, he looks great! What shade of red did you use for the eyes? Did you under paint the eyes with white prior to painting them red? I'm just wondering if a lighter or brighter red would help them pop more like you'd like them to. I feel your pain with camera work... I have an entire thread devoted to it! LOL!  Ottlight with background and Who's Using What I still haven't found the perfect solution... LOL!

For editing, I hit the "I Feel Luck" button in Picasa. I do have access to Photoshop, but for me Picasa is just a click away. It's free too!

Edited by Kharsin
  • Like 1

His eyes are bright red...you can see it in person but no matter what, his dang brow causes a shadow lol.

Did you under paint the eyes with white prior to painting them red? I'm just wondering if a lighter or brighter red would help them pop more like you'd like them to. 

The red he used is an old Reaper Pro paint: Bright Red. 

• Like 1

His eyes are bright red...you can see it in person but no matter what, his dang brow causes a shadow lol. It's both hilarious and maddeningly frustrating at the same time.

Haha, there's only so much you can do. He looks great at any rate!