Sign in to follow this  
azizcansaythis

paints and other items that i need?

so, i started playing dragon age tabletop rpg for 3 weeks now w/ my friends we all new to it.

is there specifics on what kind of paints/coating do i have to use on the material pewter? any help will do, ty adv. 

this is the miniature that i am going to buy.

http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/male-high-elf-warrior.html

• Like 1

There is a lot of good information about this on the internet (including around on this forum). One good page is the brushthralls intro page.

I'd definitely recommend a hobby blade (xacto) to clean off mold lines and a good primer. Acrylic paints are the norm for painting miniatures, but they won't stick to pewter without a primer coat. As for the actual paints, you can use craft paints, but hobby grade acrylics like the ones sold by Reaper, Vallejo, and others will give you better results.

Good luck with the mini, be sure to post back when you have some paint on so we can have a look!

Edited by The Inner Geek
  • Like 1

first of all welcome. You have found your way to an excellent resource hub for all things miniatures, with an abundance of knowledge second to known, and eagerly shared. There aren't any trolls in these parts, but best watch out for goblins. Also, there is a very healthy amount of friendly banter in and amongst the forum members that tends to pop up in almost any and every sort of topic and discussion. Do not be alarmed, the strange feeling of disconnection from reality is only temporary.

• Like 3

There is a lot of good information about this on the internet (including around on this forum). One good page is the brushthralls intro page.

I'd definitely recommend a hobby blade (xacto) to clean off mold lines and a good primer. Acrylic paints are the norm for painting miniatures, but they won't stick to pewter without a primer coat. As for the actual paints, you can use craft paints, but hobby grade acrylics like the ones sold by Reaper, Vallejo, and others will give you better results.

Good luck with the mini, be sure to post back when you have some paint on so we can have a look!

-----------------------------

thanks for the big help! im thinking to buy the P3, Vallejo model color or Reaper which i dont know yet. for washing any recommends for colors/brands to get the bright lively look? 

It really depends on what colours etc you are after.  Any of the brands can give you a bright lively look - its just dependent on which colours you use.

This forum is biased towards Reaper paints... but the others work well too (though Reaper are my favourite, but I already talked about bias)!

The easiest way is to get an inspiration picture and show us what you mean by "bright lively" because I can think of about 5 different ways to interpret that. 

Just a quick heads up just to make sure you're aware - Dark Sword miniatures are very well done, but are typically issued in pieces that require assembly.  The elf swordsmen you linked likely doesn't have his arms attached and will require pinning/gluing in order to assemble.  This isn't a problem necessarily - as you said you were new to painting, I just wanted to negate the surprise of realizing you had an 'extra step' required.

Pinning (as opposed to only gluing) is preferable, though can be tricky with miniatures with very small/thin parts.  There are a lot of pinning guides around and it is a common question on the forums; hit us up if you need any tips!

Just a quick heads up just to make sure you're aware - Dark Sword miniatures are very well done, but are typically issued in pieces that require assembly.  The elf swordsmen you linked likely doesn't have his arms attached and will require pinning/gluing in order to assemble.  This isn't a problem necessarily - as you said you were new to painting, I just wanted to negate the surprise of realizing you had an 'extra step' required.

Pinning (as opposed to only gluing) is preferable, though can be tricky with miniatures with very small/thin parts.  There are a lot of pinning guides around and it is a common question on the forums; hit us up if you need any tips!

I don't know how universally applicable this is, but I can confirm at least one like that from my own experience. I have a Dark Sword mermaid warrior. She is exquisite, but yep, her tiny, thin, delicate little arms needed pinning.

Thankfully I have a pin vise with a ridiculously small bit and a coil of hair-thin wire. Even so, it was not a fun job.

I only have one darksword mini.  She's beautiful, but I haven't had the courage to touch her yet.  Tiny thin limbs and the mini came in three pieces.

I'm currently painting the 'Female Ranger with Bow' for my wife to use in a Pathfinder game.

http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/female-ranger-with-bow.html

She's a beautiful miniature - but, same thing.  Arms needed pinning.  I've seen this enough with Dark Sword miniatures that I think it's pretty consistent across their line.

On a side note - that's a crazy paint job in that link I shared.  That eye shadow!  These are very fine/minute details and are seriously tricky.  I'm just happy that I have crude eyebrows on the one I'm painting.  

nice painting, it'll be a challenge for me to paint the face. http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/male-high-elf-warrior.html

can anybody tell me what specific brown color is the chest armor/forearm area? the only 2 colors im thinkin is this 

1. http://privateerpress.com/content/bloodstone

and

2. http://privateerpress.com/content/bloodtracker-brown

for some reason 2. doesnt link to the site.

Edited by azizcansaythis

Well, to me it looks like the chest on that elf shades up from tan to off white. Both the colours you linked would likely be too dark to achieve that effect. If you want that kind of look, look up techniques for non-metalic metal - gold.

And if you don't mind a little advice... if this is the first mini you've ever painted, you might want to pick something a bit less detailed and tiny. Maybe pick up some bones mooks for a few bucks and try your hand at that. The look of that elf and the model itself are fairly difficult techniques, and I wouldn't want you to get discouraged because you jumped off the high dive before you learned to swim. So to speak. :blush:

ETA: My favorite paint brands so far are Reaper and Vallejo. I've tried P3 and GW, and a couple others I can't remember, P3 is good, but I much prefer dropper bottles, and GW's paints are... inconsistant. They don't thin as well as others. Plus they're stupid expensive (luckilly all my GW paints were given to me). I've found Reaper and Vallejo to be the best for thinning and glazes. Vallejo also have some lovely metalics (I don't go in for NMM).

Oh, and if you decide you'd rather do metallics than NMM, pick up P3's blighted gold. It's a beautiful colour for shading your golds. And it isn't green like in the computer pictures.

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 3