Auberon's Learning to Paint w/ Bones

Auberon

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, you did a great job on Barnabus Frost!  I also have been testing out pretty much the same thing as you, namely how to shade and highlight different colors.  Ironically I found red to be easy because it was so translucent so it was just repetitive.  Blue was a very different experience!

You can always use a small amount of brush on satin or gloss sealer (varnish) to give those metallic bits a nice shine.  Nice job mounting that mockingbeast on a stone base, though...  I noticed that ours tends to fall over a lot. 

Khael looks great, in my opinion.  I especially love the wood grain on his staff. 

Yeah, I thought that the mockingbeast looked unstable on its own.  Plastic bases are cheap enough that I thought it a fair trade to avoid it rolling around on the table.

Anyway, after searching through my bones I discovered my next sacrifice willing participant in the quest to learn how to paint different colors.  Unlike the ranger where I just used white, black, green, and mixed them as needed, I decided to try the triad, or in this case pentad, approach to shading and highlighting.  So in my first attempt to paint yellow, I present Trista, Paladin of the Sun.

post-13211-0-12963600-1398042078.jpgpost-13211-0-56714000-1398042099.jpgpost-13211-0-94444500-1398042079.jpg

Or maybe Trista, Goddess of Oranges. ^_^  I have discovered that when I basecoat and then shade down, I have a tendency to not reapply my original basecoat over a large enough area.  It becomes more of a very large first highlight.  If I would have used my intended first highlight as the base color, I think I would have ended up closer to the shade of yellow that I was originally picturing in my head when I started.  But, if I ever need this particular color in the future, I now have a good idea of how to paint it.

One pretty obvious problem that I ran into with this figure was the attached shield.  I ended up having to cut it off and then glue it back on once I finished painting her shield arm.  I do like the actual figure though, and may end up picking up another to do a "proper" job on down the line.

• Like 18

One thingood I'll do if my shades get out of hand (which they are want to do on a continual basis) is make a glaze using a drop of paint, a drop of Vallejo glazing medium, then a drop or two of water depending on how strong of a glaze I want to make. It really helps bring things back into alignment without undoing what you've done. It's better to be too thin rather than too thick, or you will have to redo highlights... ugh! She looks good though! I've seen quite a few of these monochromatic jobs, but haven't tried one myself... yet...

I've had no problem prying the component parts off of Bones when I put my mind to it.  Not sure if they used sub-standard glue or what, though to be fair I haven't tried breaking apart the ones that I've re-glued.  It's pretty much always easier to just disassemble as much as possible from the start. 

Out of curiosity, what colors did you use on that golden girl?

Holy cow, this is incredible stuff! Your skintones put mine to shame; they're practically glowing with life, and your monotone pieces are beautiful color studies without losing a single detail in the mix. That weathering on Goldar's copper axe is just gorgeous as well. (Any chance you could give us a recipe for that? Maybe his skin, too...) How long did you say you've been painting???

My one suggestion would be to try lining your eyes. Makes them stand out much better, both on the table and in photos, and prevents the beady look that some of yours have going. Otherwise though, I have no criticisms to make.