Performing for Giants Diorama

Mierot

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looking good so far! Sorry to hear about the giantess =(

Thanks. She is proving to be a good lesson in patience and double/triple-checking during the prep phase. I just want to jump into painting, so I tend to focus on and find just the major mold lines before grabbing a brush.

• Like 3

It has been nearly a month...and not a lot of progress.  :down:

Yephima survived her Simple Green dunk, and now sports a new set of base coats. I changed direction a bit, going for a caramel-brown for her hair, rather than a blonde. The blonde was fighting with her face too much. I also removed her from her base so that I could better attach her to the big base. I experienced only one nicked figure while doing so!

post-5366-0-54517500-1402700658_thumb.jpg

I used greenstuff to fill in the gaps created by the shrinking clay on the base. There was at least a half inch shrinkage on each side. The clay also started to curl, so it got glued down again. The crack now spans the width of the clay part, but it does help stabilize it. I do not think I'll use that clay this thin again.

post-5366-0-13348700-1402700764.jpg

I also added a platform for the bards, which will probably also contain a tree to help with framing. I'm thinking tree bench might be added as well (maybe). The rest of the MDF is now covered in my ground mix of various sized ballast and rocks.

It is decision time: NMM or TMM for Yephima's armor. My NMM attempts are singular in number (wasn't too bad, but wasn't good). I am more comfortable with TMM, but have been fighting with my metallic paints as of late. Since I still have nearly six months left, I could take some time and practice NMM on other figures first...

• Like 11

I like painting faces since it is a major focal point of the figure. The major skin tones are in place, with plenty of glazing left to do.

post-5366-0-88625800-1402709308.jpg

The skin is based around the bronzed skin triad, with the addition of chestnut brown for the deepest shadows. So far the darkest facial shadow is a 1:1 mix of chestnut brown and bronzed shadow. I'm sure I'll go deeper. The highest highlight is bronzed highlight. I might will need to add in some white to help with the contrast.

• Like 14

The dark hair seems to work better with the skin tone.

Definitely. I felt the difference as soon as I put the first layer down. The skin base coat had that bronze glow to it.

The skin tone on her face is fantastic.

Thanks! Working with a large figure has definitely made it easier to control the placement of the paint. Her head is the size of a 28mm mini's torso!

Edited by Mierot

Just saw this thread! I love the concept and it looks like it's all coming along nicely! Can't wait to see how this one turns out. I'm considering entering the contest too, but with the speed I'm moving at lately, it may not happen. LOL! My speed problems aside, this really is a great piece!  ^_^

• Like 2

Your work is fantastic! The building is very cool. Did you paint on the stones? It's hard to tell if they're 3d :lol: I think they might benefit from painting the mortar a lighter colour though.

I love the bronze skin you have going on there. Here I was trying to decide if I would paint my Kord the Destroyer with tan skin or bronze skin. I think I'll go bronze ^_^

• Like 1

Your work is fantastic! The building is very cool. Did you paint on the stones? It's hard to tell if they're 3d :lol: I think they might benefit from painting the mortar a lighter colour though.

I love the bronze skin you have going on there. Here I was trying to decide if I would paint my Kord the Destroyer with tan skin or bronze skin. I think I'll go bronze ^_^

Thanks! The stones on the building are individual bits of cardboard glued onto the wall. It creates a nice 3D-ish effect. I keep putting of painting it, though I really need to get started. I plan on using some basic grays, browns, and blacks to keep it subdued and in the background.

• Like 2

Time to resurrect this project or else it will not get finished by the end of the year. I must keep my promise to myself. Since there is only a little over two months left, I am going to reduce the scope of the base significantly. It is simply too big.

First up, though, is to finish painting Yephima. If I am unable to finish the base, I can at least enter her in the contest.

• Like 2