[SPLIT] Outrider Hobby Concerns

Argentee

I stopped by the booth to see what he had.  I did not broach the subject of the late orders as I was not one of those affected.  The product that he did have on hand looked to be of good quality but he was out of the the styles that I was interested in.  He did offer to ship it within a week of the con ending, but based on the discussions on this thread I demurred.

Somewhere else someone (Sanael?) reported that they talked to Outrider Brian at length and was cautiously optimistic.  If I find the post again I'll link it here.

Edited to fix transposed letters in Sanael's name.  Oops.

Edited by Dilvish the Deliverer
  • Like 1

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did see him, and I placed an order with him.

He absolutely owned the fact that communication has been somewhat lacking, and he did offer some explanation as to why which I will let him disseminate as he wishes. Suffice to say, he was apologetic about the situation, both mine specifically and his customers' in general.

What is more important (to me, anyway) than looking at his past performance, is looking toward his future performance. He was very specific about that, and set me at ease. He has what are essentially two interns (an interested friend and OutriderBryan's son) who are keeping him on top of it, and he's set a hard delivery deadline for orders placed at the con.

I placed a small order for two custom trays and expect to have tracking numbers by the 15th of May. I do plan on sending him an email at the one-week mark. If all goes well, there are a few other trays I need, so we will eventually see how he does once out of the Reapercon rush.

I will put in another plug for his products; we purchased another pistolcase tools insert and a few more acrylic flight bases from him, and those products are great (made all the better because he had them there and there were no worries about delivery).

Long story short, I grilled him a bit about past problems, and he gave me planned solutions. He did so in a cheerful way (he wasn't angry or bitter that I was calling him out on his failings), and I have a cautious faith in his ability to deliver. Bryan was great just to chat with-he's the right kind of goofball-and his product is quite good.

I'll post to the forums once the 15th rolls around.

• Like 5

We talked to him for quite awhile. I was tempted to purchase his brush stand but as we were talking, i accidentally bumped the table and it tipped over. I asked him if he had any customers mention this fault in it and he said he wasn't sure. My desk chair has the habit of whacking my desk and it's bad enough when it rains miniatures, I can't have it raining Brushes too.

He pushed the sale of his big Reaper bag pretty hard and though it's nice, it's still severely out of our price range and needs at the moment. He came off very professional and polite but considering his reputation I'm a bit cautious from purchasing from him online. I do like the trays he had to offer though.

I like the Games and Gears brush stand anyways. @[email protected] It seems far sturdier. 

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 3

Somewhere else someone (Saneal?) reported that they talked to Outrider Brian at length and was cautiously optimistic. If I find the post again I'll link it here.

"cautiously optimistic" is exactly the right term. Like I said, I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

• Like 6

I was there with Sanael and went easy because I felt bad for the guy. I give him credit for having the cajones to come to the con after a string of poor business transactions and be willing to face some of those on the customer side face to face.

I also wish the best for him.

I missed his brush stand, but if the G&G one is 'sturdier' I'm staying away. My G&G stand rocks more than an old lady on the front porch in a hurricane.

• Like 7

We talked to him for quite awhile. I was tempted to purchase his brush stand but as we were talking, i accidentally bumped the table and it tipped over. I asked him if he had any customers mention this fault in it and he said he wasn't sure. My desk chair has the habit of whacking my desk and it's bad enough when it rains miniatures, I can't have it raining Brushes too.

He pushed the sale of his big Reaper bag pretty hard and though it's nice, it's still severely out of our price range and needs at the moment. He came off very professional and polite but considering his reputation I'm a bit cautious from purchasing from him online. I do like the trays he had to offer though.

I like the Games and Gears brush stand anyways. @[email protected] It seems far sturdier.

Hmm. I don't much care for brush stands, so that's the one thing on his table I didn't really pick up and look at. It did look tall enough to risk tipping back easily. It seemed pretty durable, though.

The paint stand he had prototyped on the table was pretty swank. If I needed a small paint rack, I'd be considering his.

As an owner of the big bag, I love it. It's big enough to fill one side with trays and the other half with something not-mini-related, so we used it as practical luggage for this trip. It is an awkward size to carry on your hip for very long, but that's the nature of bags with a "this end up" caveat, and it shouldn't have to go farther than the next game table most of the time. There is ample storage space for books, dice, etc. And it is sturdily constructed (though I may replace the plastic strap-clips with metal D-rings if I have to carry it, full, through an airport again). It's worth the price if the price is in your budget, but I would ask him to do a custom tray load-out for your needs (the default loadout does not play well with Privateer Press games).

Edited to correct autocorrect.

Edited by Sanael
  • Like 2

If by "theirs" you mean Outrider's and not G&G's, the brush stand and paint rack were both laser cut MDF. I didn't do much with it, but I did see someone pick it up by a support and drop it on the table (butterfinger, not on purpose) from about eighteen inches. It remained intact.

Again, I can't vouch for its balance.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback guys. That Games & Gears brush stand looks awesome! I wish Outrider had enough good recent online sales success stories to earn another shot. They still seam to have lots of customers waiting for their stuff from last year. I'm sure he will try to fulfill the convention orders quickly but I wish he would show the same determination to honor the customers who placed orders before the con as well. I'd love to get 4 more trays but after seeing the rough, hard & low quality foam he sent me I'd be worried about putting metal figures in it. Bones should be ok though.

Speaking of the foam, are the trays he sold at the convention made of soft smooth foam? The stuff he sent me is so firm and rough. 

• Like 2

I believe he had two types of foam, one firmer than the other. None of the foam I own from him is what I would call "rough," nor have I thought any of it would be a danger to my minis. I'll let you know once I have new trays in hand what they look like.

• Like 1

How long ago was the last time you emailed him? He did tell me that his email service had given him problems in the past few months, so you may have better luck now if you try again.

I would also suggest, despite whatever desires you have toward the opposite, that anyone attempting to contact him be respectful, or at least polite...clear and firm, but polite. Flies and honey, and so forth; I don't believe this is a business that responds constructively to anger or threats.

• Like 5

I would also suggest, despite whatever desires you have toward the opposite, that anyone attempting to contact him be respectful, or at least polite...clear and firm, but polite. Flies and honey, and so forth; I don't believe this is a business that responds constructively to anger or threats.

Absolutely. And send friendly reminders every now and again (I did about once a week).
  • Like 1