• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She is a LOVELY statue; AND while the water effect may have been a pain (it always is) the result are TERRIFIC. GREAT WORK!

Thanks, Malefactus. It's really humbling to hear this from you, as your Last Hurrah has been big inspiration to me. I love the surrealism, humor and attention to detail you put into your work.

Just awesome Dan!

It looks so dead,is that the look you were trying to give? 

I am missing a few subtle washes of green on the water (only where it touches the sides of the fountain) and some leaves, to give it a little life.

• Like 2

Thats for the advice, Willen. I'm going to try to add some color today. I also feel I should point out that the statue is not my sculpture, but it's Sophie from A Reaper Christmas Carol (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/01422/latest/01422). I actually have duplicates of that set, and she's much larger than the heroic scale minis that my game group uses.

• Like 1

So I made some quick changes to try to bring it to life. I added a thin green wash along the edge of the water and up onto the statue where her dress meets the water. It didn't come through well in the pictures, but it comes through in person. 

Then I put a light green-brown wash on the patches of dirt - to try to make them stand out a little more agains the tile.

Then I quickly sculpted up a couple of bottles using copper wire and green stuff - they got a quick coat of green paint mixed with metallic medium. 

finally I added a patch of moss on one edge of the fountain wall.

I think it really helped and it was really very little work. I've been working on terrain all morning, so I already had everything out.

post-12934-0-58758800-1397413208_thumb.jpgpost-12934-0-04005900-1397413211_thumb.jpgpost-12934-0-93370400-1397413212_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Yep, looks a bit more alive now.

That mini does make a pretty nice fountain.

What did you use for the base and the fountain tile?

The fountain tile is patterned styrene sheet - they are 0.25" squares. I believe this particular sheet was from evergreen, but other companies make them as well.

My local hobby store (mostly RC stuff, but they've got a pretty good model train section) has racks of the stuff from evergreen, plastruct and JTT - in all sorts of different patterns. It's a great way to add some detail to terrain or bases without a huge sculpting effort.

In this case I had a 6" x 12" sheet, and cut off a 6"x6" sheet for "base" (I used a fancy paper cutter I have for bookbinding, but it cuts easily with a hobby knife and a straight edge). I then cut a few long 1-tile wide pieces and glued them to three sides of some .25"x.25" square styrene rods I had in my bits box. These rods were then glued to the base. Then, because I was sloppy, I filled in the gaps with some modeling paste.

I really hate giving a nice sculpt like this the "statue treatment" but I've got a growing backlog of items to paint, and at least this way she'll make it to the table. 

• Like 1

That water is looking excellent now!

And the other accents are great as well. The bottles look like they could use more shading but if they've been painted in metalics, perhaps it is just the shine throwing me off.

• Like 1

Willen- the bottles could use more than some shading, the scale is off, and they are too asymmetric for my tastes. I would rather scrap them and start over than try to clean them up. However, I think I'm going to put this project on hold for a bit. I'm out of town this week and when I get home I should have received some new mins in the mail which will pull my attention away from this town square at least for now.

That said, I really appreciate the feedback provided here. It's so helpful to me to get a fresh pair of eyes on my work.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kuroneko
      I'm not sure that this is right place to post this, but I need to pick the brains of people with more terrain experience than myself. To be honest, that's pretty much everyone on the forum, but there you go! 

I've been experimenting with different water effects on bases because I'm planning a somewhat finicky deep pond effect on a particularly awesome mini coming in the Bones 5 Kickstarter. It's been an interesting journey/struggle/experience but this one particular one has flummoxed me because it manifested a full three weeks after the material had set. Here's a couple of pics. It was crystal clear before.

You can see the cloudiness, it appeared overnight on the base. It seems to follow the line of the second layer of the material. Has anyone else had a reaction like this? It was Secret Weapon Water Effects. 
    • By KingMob
      http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2017/07/mv-challenge-2017.html?m=1

Peace and blessings,  brothers and sisters. The crew at Massive Voodoo have let loose their call for their 2017 Challenge.

The crew at Massive Voodoo set out challenges to their viewers in order to push our abilities past our comfort zone. This year they have two (2) Challenges for us!

1. Create a base using water effects.

2. Paint a Disney Infinity character.

There are limitations in this challenge - like on the basing Challenge: the goal is to create a base with a water effect, not to focus on a figure. They said we can use a small animal to accent the base, and Reaper has some awesome Familiars we can use. Also, Infinity Challenge is one figure, not multiple, which allows us to focus doing our best on one figure. Full details can be found by clicking on the link. 

I heard that little voice too: "I cannot win this! Why should I even try?" 
      Well shut the front door little-voice-in-my-head! 

I know I have much to learn and improve in my own Art, which is why this is a Challenge. We cannot lose: we win just by pushing past our comfort zone and learning more about our beloved hobby. :D

I said it before and I will keep repeating it: I believe in you. I see the awesome work you all do, and you believe in me too. That love helps me believe in myself and makes me want to work harder to push past my own limits.

Plus we get to paint a character from the Disney franchise - which includes Marvel and Star Wars! I didn't even consider painting these as well as playing with them! ( Don't judge too harshly. Elsa kicks butt.)

For a full list of characters available, check 'em out here:

http://www.portalcharacters.com/disney-infinity/figures.asp

You can find them individually and inexpensively on eBay. 

Now, if you will excuse me: I have some Reaper Familiars to peruse. :D

May your efforts be rewarded and blessed!

• By SamuraiJack
      Found this while combing through a blog today.. 

https://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.com/2016/05/making-waves.html
    • By knarthex
      Hey all!
      My DDS 2 came in the mail today, and I pulled out the tower to look at it. Boy does that stuff feel weird to an guy who has pretty much only done metal, with some resin here and there!

So, what kind of Glue does one use to assemble the tower????
      I read Wren's post that super glue was best, but this material makes me wonder...
      Is this most people's experience?

Also, do most folks base the whole this as a piece, or leave them separate?

Thanks in advance!

8)
      George
    • By Pingo
      So I've been given some hard plastic models, styrene, I think. They come in grey hard plastic and mostly on rectangular sprues anyway.

One is Malifaux's "Whiskey Golem" (or, as my husband said, a wooden steampunk robot), one is Perry Miniatures "Medieval Cottage 1300-1700," and one is a set of Pegasus Hobbies "Gothic City Building Small Set #1."

The Gothic Building set snaps together but the makers recommend glue for some delicate parts. The other two must be glued.

Can I ask what glues people recommend for this sort of model? I gather there is some sort of special plastic solvent glue for plastic models, but I haven't really played around with it. My children used superglue on their Games Workshop plastic armies because, apart from that one incident of setting the cotton opera glove on fire, they could safely use it.

What I have at the moment are several types of superglue and epoxy.

Looking at the cottage, I am concerned about whether the model will hold together. It's basically just flat walls glued together at the edges. The structural engineer in me itches to put interior corner reinforcement and braces inside. Is this overkill? Will the proper glue help its integrity?

I also note that two of the kits contain nothing in the way of assembly diagrams or instuctions. Should I take this as a given in hard plastic models and treat them as a sort of IQ test?
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)