I just thought of using Mounties in a Western Campaign. But found out that they where founded in 1920 by the merger of the Royal Northwest Mounted Police and the Dominion Police.

So I was happy to see a painting of a NWMP Rider wearing the same (or similiar) RCMP uniform!  :bday:

672px-Single-Handed%2C_Charles_Marion_Ru

But as the name of the NWMP tells, they are mainly working in the north-west. Not even nearly the US.

So I was looking for uniforms of the Dominion Police which roles would even better fit to find a reason why they are working so far from home.

But I could find nothing about them. I know that here are some canadians in the forum. :-) I hope some of them could provide me little more informations about the DP Uniforms.

Some updates about some collected informations in this Thread:

More about people from the NWMP/RCMP like Sam Steele or Colonel James Macleod you can find here:

Here is a list of commissioners on wiki and a List of some Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers.

If you know some special anecdotes about officers, please post them. Some notable comments are already in this thread, if you know more or even have ancestors of the early periods of the mounties, please tell more.

Here are few links of minis mentioned later in this thread:

Mounties from the companies Tiger Miniatures (NWMP era) and Pulp Figures (RCMP era).

Riel Rebellion Minis (NWMP) from RAFM

Reaper's Dirk Goodspeed RCMP

About the uniforms:

It looks like the mounties didn't like the pillbox at all and put them aways whenever it was possible. So on most Skirmish missions it should be no problem during the NWMP era if they wear Stetsons.

For example the Pulp Figures would have the Lee Enfield rifles used in the 20th century (this would not stop me to use them as NWMP)

If you have more minis which can be used for NWMP or RCMP, please post links of them! :;):

I know there are some british officers minis not meant to be mounties, but still possible to use them for it. If someone has links...

A post of a movie and series list you can find >>here<<.

This is only a very small summary, please read the complete thread. For me it is growing to be one of my favorite threads. I like the Mounties.

Edited by Teskal

I believe this was the official uniform:

Dominion-Tank-Police.jpg

Heh, it is fun sometimes where google takes you. The real uniforms look to be a cross between a military uniform and a turn of the 20th century police uniform, without any of the distinctly Canadian flair of the Mounties.

picture2.gif

For a western campaign, I'd think it would make more sense for the NWMP to be found in the western US rather than the Dominion police. Remember, the dominion forces only operated from the Maritimes to Ontario. The northern aspect was just in relation to eastern Canada, they operated all the way to the southern borders of the country. Besides, the iconic uniform would be half the fun of using them in the first place.

• Like 2

Thanks.

I found Mounties from Tiger Miniatures and Pulp Figures. With them I should have 14 Mounties and 3 mounted Mounties.

But why can't Tiger Miniatures make it possible to tell, where I can get the horses for the Mounties?

MP 06: Two Mounties on Horsback in Classic Uniform [ The mounties not the horses]

They have 2 Harness Horses in their program, but no foto to show if they are the correct ones, grrrrr.

But I'm not sure if I get the Tiger Miniatures, because I heard the detail quality is not really good.

Edited by Teskal

I got a really fast answer from Tiger Miniatures. They mounted ones should come with horses. So I will order them. I hope a so fast support answer is a good sign. :-)

I think the comment '[ The mounties not the horses]' is about that the horses are not wearing the classic uniform. :-)

Edited by Teskal

You may find this useful:

http://www.rafm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAF&Category_Code=RR

RAFM has a whole line of NWMP and related contemporary miniatures in 25/28mm. 

Edit: these are Riel Rebellion era, so 1885 and would represent the common western canadian presence of the time, as it relates to railroad expansion, etc.  It's handy to think of the NWMP as "North/West Mounted Police" instead of "Northwest Mounted Police".  They got around a bit. 

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 2

You may find this useful:

http://www.rafm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAF&Category_Code=RR

RAFM has a whole line of NWMP and related contemporary miniatures in 25/28mm. 

Edit: these are Riel Rebellion era, so 1885 and would represent the common western canadian presence of the time, as it relates to railroad expansion, etc.  It's handy to think of the NWMP as "North/West Mounted Police" instead of "Northwest Mounted Police".  They got around a bit. 

They are cool. So they are Army and Police?

So many different hats... Not the typical one I know.

Just found some painted versions of the RAFM Minis

Edited by Teskal

Probably a mix, whatever could be gathered up to put down the rebellion. 

I'd say it might be close enough to fudge your history a little, depending on your needs and the era of a western campaign.  Certainly the NWMP had presence as far south as the US border, since they met with Sitting Bull when he crossed over from the US side.  Ongoing western expansion in both countries, a push to create transcontinental railroads, and tension/conflict with various tribes would provide plenty of reason for fictional crossovers and wanderings.  Especially if you're not super particular about exact dates, but more going for "feels right".  If you, say, took 1865-1885 as your setting era - even though that spans a 20 year gap you could probably get away with it. 

Edited by buglips*the*goblin

I just read in wiki that the Stetson was adopted officially 1904. But was worn already earlier during patrols and in camp. So it should be no problem.

Playing Western Skirmishes is squeezing the eyes fixed against history, anyway. More interesting in the moment is to read about the history parts. 

Buglips already covered it but I just wanted to mention that at that time the Northwest of Canada was anything west of Ontario. My great grandfather was in the second wave that came west and served all his time on the US/Canada border. He was directly involved with the Lakota while Sitting Bull was camped here and even married one of them. The NWMP wasn't really an army but in today's terms could be considered paramilitary. Lots of the same training and equipment but used differently. A lot of the policemen served as soldiers at various times too. They didn't really want to fight but they could. They had the balls for it. Read up on Sam Steele for a great example. You couldn't hardly make up a story like his life and have people think it was believable.

It could make an interesting period to play around with. NWMP, Canadian and British soldiers, US army, american bootleggers, trappers and traders, various northern plains indians and metis. No real large scale battles but lots of room for skirmish style games. Depending on time period cowboys could be thrown in. The indians were mostly gone and on reservations when ranchers moved in but only by a few years. Fudge a few dates and facts and a lot of the wild west post US Civil War could be used. Famous bandits and horse thieves hid out on the border in the badlands here. They jumped the border to the opposite side of whoever was looking for them at the time. The outlaw trail stretched from Saskatchewan (here for me) to Mexico. The Nez Perce were stopped just a bit south of the border while trying to get into Canada. The Lakota Sioux camped out along a good sized stretch of the border after the Little Bighorn Battle. The US army camped just south of the border waiting for them to cross back. The Riel Rebellion and earlier Red River Rebellion with native and metis fighting Canadian troops. You could have it spill over into US territory and get to use US troops. Or have the US troops cross the border after the indians and getting mixed up with canadian troops and police.

I'm not an expert on the uniforms but most of the early photos I've seen were with pith helmets and pillbox hats. I've always wondered who thought the pillboxes were a good idea. I've rarely seen headwear I thought was more useless. The Pulp Miniatures are nice but they have Lee Enfield rifles that would have been used in the 20th century, not 19th.

What rules would you use for this? I don't know if I'd ever game it but it's a fascinating bit of history and very close for my family. My ancestors were cowboys, indians, NWMP, US infantry fighting the indians and even a sherrif. If there were any robbers or bandits they hid the evidence good enough that we don't know about it now. ^_^ Kind of interested to see how your campaign would play out.

• Like 5

Oh, thank you very much.

The Rules we will use are Warhammer Historical: Legend of the Old West. I didn't read them, I couldn't get the original books anymore. :-(

But I heard they are really good.

I would never recognized the Lee Enfield rifles. But there is a good chance my friend will recognize them...

Those little pillbox hats were considered vey military and smart.

There's a portrait painting in my head. I can see it clearly but can't remember the artist or subject, except I think he's English aristocracy. It's, oh, probably between 1880 and 1900 and he's lounging with his extraordinarily long legs stretched out and one hand either resting his head or holding a cigarette and he's in a spiffy uniform with all sorts of added doodad frills and a silly little pillbox hat.

They weren't meant to be especially protective, just smart and fashionable.

EDIT: Now I'm wondering if old-fashioned bellboys in those little uniforms with all the gold braid and the pillbox hats were meant to invoke these uniforms, rather than the way we see it which is these uniforms make the wearers look like bellboys.

Edited by Pingo

I think that is the reason why the Stetson was the favored hat even before it was officially introduced. Or the reason why it was introduced was that many mounties where wearing them anyway. 1897 a NWMP contingent at Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee was wearing already the Stetson, 7 years before the officially introduction.

I think a skirmish troop out of reach of a town or higher commanding officers would not even remove the pillbox out of the backpack. If the troop leader does not interfere.

More information about NWMP uniforms. Ok, no backpack, they left it in the wagons if possible. :-)