BEAUTIFUL brushwork, base, & palette! The eyes are OUTSTANDING...GREAT WORK!

The supporting cast are LOVELY miniatures in their own right.

• Like 1

It's the Eye of the Beholder-colored beholder!   Great color on that aberrant creature and I was wondering about that sculpt myself, knowing it's resin, I'll pass for now.

I very much like the mini-scene with the three adventurers.  All that's left of the fourth and fifth are a statue and a pile of dust, right?

Edited by Darkmeer
  • Like 1

Great job! I love the work on the eyes, and that skin is wretchedly brown, which is a great thing! I may need to get one of these just to practice eyes! Kudos!

• Like 1

Thanks everybody!

I didn't take a pic, but he also came with an completely clear stand/base. very useful for being the ground of any scenario.

I think I had a thing for doodling eyes when I was younger and I just needed to figure out a way to put it to paint instead of ink or pencil. I very excitedly leaped out of my chair when I was done. You can probably mess up anything BUT the eye when painting a beholder. lol

It's the Eye of the Beholder-colored beholder!   Great color on that aberrant creature and I was wondering about that sculpt myself, knowing it's resin, I'll pass for now.

I very much like the mini-scene with the three adventurers.  All that's left of the fourth and fifth are a statue and a pile of dust, right?

lol - Yeah, I was thinking around the same thing when I set that scene up. I think their only option at this point is a combination of defensive spells and running away.

The Beholder came in a set with a wizard and a Mind Flayer that I am not really interested in painting. Nice models, but they are resin which I am not fond of either. Spring Mini exchange! 

• Like 1

Haha, JDizzO the necromancer!  I am jealous of your beholder.  Not sure what there is to touch up though.  It looks great!  For some reason I always think of Baulder's Gate Dark Alliance when I see a beholder.

• Like 1

Very nicely done - especially in light of the difficulties you had building the figure.  I did the GF9 Umber Hulk up for a client a months back, so I TOTALLY feel your pain.  I was ready to test fly it across the room several times.

The Egg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      I can't begin to tell you how excited i am that my parents found these in the basement in some supplies i had stored.  These are Ral Partha models from 1988 to 1991. I bought them with my allowance back when i was like 9 or 10 and am thrilled to see these again.  I remember being so afraid to paint them because i didn't want to mess them up, that i never ever tried.  

These are primed and need to be stripped. These are early pewter-white metal.  They even had packaging that read "now lead free". 

What I'm wanting to do is savor the joy of painting them, now that I'm way more capable.  However...i need to get this crappy primer off of them.  These are 30+ years old and I'm blown away they look as good as they do.  

Anyone have a solution that can strip this down to the metal? 

• By Rigel
      In the country of the blind, the saying goes, the one-eyed man is king. Certainly when venturing into the obscure unknown of space, the monocular Illyrians are as good as any human, despite a completely different evolution. Their quick regeneration and centrally-located brain-analogue allow them to survive injuries a human could not, while their alien metabolism means resource competition between human and Illyrian is minimal. 

Here is one brave planetary explorer on a rugged rocky ringed planet. It appears extensively cratered, but the presence of atmosphere and weather should have worn the features down...

Well, that answers that! 

Distant evolutionary cousins, perhaps? Or just convergence? 

These native life forms are unused to creatures with eyestalks like theirs that can move about freely on the surface! 

The eye-worms are unused eyestalks from a Wizkids Beholder--they come with a set each of Eyebeam Eyes and Regular Eyes. Waste not!
      They were inspired by this pulpy artwork--not mine, all credit to the original artist.

• By Firestar
      My first Wyvern. :)
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Hi everyone.  Got a couple more demons for you today.  This is a pair of Bones Fly Demons for use as Chasme in D&D.  These guys could also serve double duty as Giant Flies for Rangers of Shadow Deep.

More Below the Spoiler:

Feel free to check out more of my demons and devils in my Blood War project HERE.

If anyone has any leads on other interesting giant fly minis please share them, as I've been finding it difficult to find good models for RoSD.

Also, how do you paint insect wings?  They're such a unique feature in the animal kingdom and I'd love to see how you go about it?
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Hi all!  With the year nearly at its end, this seemed like a great time to share a comparison project to reflect on this past year's growth.

A little over a year ago a painted up my first Beholder, and last month I painted another.  I was particularly proud of the first so it's interesting to see a side-by-side a year apart.

More Below the Spoiler:

It's always fun to compare two similar models that have been painted with time in between.  I'm always impressed by how much I can grow in this hobby in such a short amount of time.  I only painted my first skeleton a little over two years ago.  My confidence in layering has improved and it is now my go-to method of painting.  Drybrushing and Washes are now reserved for specific effects and textures.  My speed has increased, and I feel more comfortable adding freehanded details.

I'm proud of the growth I've had this past year and look forward to the improvements next year brings.  And these guys will be looking forward as well.  And backwards.  And sideways.  Always watching.

How have you improved this year?
  • Who's Online   19 Members, 1 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)