Sign in to follow this  
VonIsHere

paint brushes for beginners.

hello people, i dont know, about anything when it comes to art stuff for miniatures. i lived in seattle, if that helps or not.

1. what kind of paint brushes do you guys use to paint your miniatures? (i dont mind of the cost of the paint brushes.)

2. after you painted the miniature, do you guys washed the whole of your miniature to get the shadow depth or some parts of it? 

3. what kind of washed paints do you guys recommend for beginners? any tips/tricks will do.

• Like 1

1. I could sit here and toot a horn for my Winsor and Newton Series 7 Kolinskys but if you're just starting out, I'd say buy some Cheapos so that you can make sure this is something you'll love before you throw down 20$ on a brush.  I started out with cheap craft brushes, I still have them and use them sometimes but my experience with them made me greatly appreciate my Winsors, probably better than if I started out with the winsors only.

2. I honestly don't use washes often. When it comes to shadows....how to explain...lets say on a skirt, I want the shadows to be brown, so I'll paint the entire skirt brown and then layer my lighting from there. (I did this to yephima awhile ago) When I DO use Washes its on things like armor or making better chromatic changes or my horrible attempts at glazing. I've never had to use a flesh wash to make shadows on skin. Again, I'm no expert and most people paint some things differently so this is just one way, probably the most complicated way, to get things done. 

3. I just use the reaper paint, add a bit more water to it and voila I have a wash. Some people use inks, I have almost a rainbow set of inks and I have only ever used black. I have Red, Green, Orange but nope, I only use black.

1. Yes, I love my Winsor and Newton Series 7 brushes, although I can't seem to get any more! I also use Raphael 8404's, depending on what I'm doing... At least I think they're 8404's. What I started with were the brushes that came with the Reaper Learn To Paint Kits. I still use those brushes from time to time, although they suffer a lot of abuse. I also have the cheap craft brushes that I use when I really need to abuse something, like dry brushing sand covered bases and such.

2. I don't think I've ever washed an entire miniature. I've washed portions from time to time, and I've also used MissMelons way of building up from shadow. What I've been doing lately is using glazes, specifically made from Vallejo glazing medium. It helps cut down dealing with tide marks and such that come from just using water, although the technique for glazing is different then that of a wash. If I do need to take a large area down a notch or two, I will use a wash.

3. Yes, I too just add water to Reaper paints. The key is to not to overload your brush. If you do, the wash runs every which way but loose, then leaves the aforementioned tide marks. If it does go nuts, quickly rinse your brush, brush off the excess rinse water from the brush, then put the tip where you want to absorb the overflow water. Some people use a separate brush for this, but as a wash is really diluted paint, I don't feel I'm losing anything by rinsing out the brush. Of course, I'm not trying to clean the thing, but get the excess paint out and use capillary action to draw back up the excess. I'm not entirely sure how to use inks, so I don't use them very often. In fact, I don't remember the last time I did use one. I think Games Workshop sells some pre diluted washes, but i'm not sure as I only have experience with Reaper MSP, Vallejo, and Scale 75 paints. Most people just make their own. For me, it's a drop of Reaper MSP, followed by 12-14 drops DISTILLED water, just in case. I'll dilute it to whatever point I'm trying to use it for. I hope that helps some!

Sick (edit: STICK around! Ah, autocorrect...) around and ask more questions! This is an excellent forum to learn things in!

-K

Edited by Kharsin
  • Like 2

hello people, i dont know, about anything when it comes to art stuff for miniatures. i lived in seattle, if that helps or not.

1. what kind of paint brushes do you guys use to paint your miniatures? (i dont mind of the cost of the paint brushes.)

2. after you painted the miniature, do you guys washed the whole of your miniature to get the shadow depth or some parts of it? 

3. what kind of washed paints do you guys recommend for beginners? any tips/tricks will do.

I was in Seattle just last week! Lovely city ;)

Now, to the questions:

1.- I use, as most good (or aspiring to be good), Kolinsky hair watercolor brushes. They are expensive, but the snap, paint release and ability to retain a fine point is unmatched. Most common brands worldwide are Winsor & Newton (their Series 7 brushes), DaVinci (their Maestro Series), Raphael (their 8404 or 8408 series). Other brands make nice brushes (Rosemary, Escoda, for example) but those three are the Ferraris and McLarens of our painting world.

2.- Washes are just a part of painting. A technique. So it is used by some. I do abuse of thin paints, so I am practically always doing "washes", perhaps even my basecoats could be considered washes for some.

3.- There are no "kinds" of washed paints, I don't get the question. Any paint thin enough to allow some of the previous color to shine through, applied to a controlled area, can be a wash. Any paint, any good miniature brand will do. It is a technique you need to try to settle for a thickness, a transparency that works for your style. Tips? Practice, and then practice more. You won't know how to control a technique unless you start practicing it, and then keep at whatever is fun and works for you.

• Like 3

for a starter brush, I strongly recommend Winsor and Newton's Cotman line of brushes. They are a synthetic, but quite close to the kolinsky sable brushes in behaviour, though they wear out faster. They are however a third the price and should last you through your first several figures until you decide if this is indeed a hobby you want to spend a good deal of time and money on.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forums.

If you do a search for Kolinsky and brush, you will be amazed. :;):

Washing is one way to add shadows to your figures, and a good way to start.  But you can also use lining, layering, glazing, wet blending, and probably other ways I'm forgetting.

Here's a video on making your own washes.  I use washes sometimes and make my own as needed, but the recipe is similar to this one.

As for more general advice:

Youtube has videos on painting methods like washes, drybrushing, etc.

I refer you to The Craft section of the Reaper website.  The two shopping list articles are a good start in there:

http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/32 and

http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/37

Check out the WIP and Show Off forums for advice on painting.  Here are a couple inspirational ones:

Buglips' Bones Thread and

helping noobs -> good karma   (by Pixel)

Also the pinned Tutorials Database thread has plenty of links to help out beginners and more advanced painters. 

• Like 4

Well speaking from the cheap end and as a fellow washingtonian.

I started with the plain old reaper brushes.  My experience with them is two thumbs down.  From there I went on to the Army Painter and let me tell you as cheap brushes go they are pretty good I especially like the handles they have on their wargaming line.  So far Ive had them for 6 months and kept them in fair shape.  They are starting to fray alittle.   

I have been looking into trying the more expendsive ones but getting them or finding a place that has any in stock has been a challenge.  I dont know of any brick and mortar stores in our area as I do most of my shopping (miniature wise) online.

As far as your other two questions I think Game Workshop has the best variety of premade washes..but I dont know how good they are.

What Ive always used is simply watered down paint.  Though now Im starting to get into mixing alittle bit with flow improver and other mediums.  Still in the learning stages with that.

Most of the stuff Serenity posted is solid stuff and there are tons more videos on youtube that help explain how to paint certain things what kind of paint they use and different techniques like layering, washes, glazing, drybrushing, wetblending. and I think when starting out you have to try each technique and see which you find is easier for you.  Me personally layering is tough for me but wetblending comes easier.  but lately Ive been using a combination of both depending on what area of the miniature Im painting. You best bet is to buy some cheapy goblins and practice.  Or reapers learn to paint kits I hear are pretty good...but Ive never tried them.

• Like 1

for a starter brush, I strongly recommend Winsor and Newton's Cotman line of brushes. They are a synthetic, but quite close to the kolinsky sable brushes in behaviour, though they wear out faster. They are however a third the price and should last you through your first several figures until you decide if this is indeed a hobby you want to spend a good deal of time and money on.

I tried out some of the W&N cotman brushes. They were nice, only problem is they do wear out FAST. Seemed like the tip of my brush was already starting to hook after the first time I used it. Still usable for a lot of things, just not for detail work anymore.

For quality brushes, I have to recommend Rosemary and Co. I have bought a number of brushes from her and every one seemed to be great. Also they are a lot cheaper then the ones you get from W&N.

The series 7 I got was one of the "defective" ones, would split after a short while of painting, but still very useful for base coating, but mostly I just use my R&C brushes now and the S7 just sits in my brush cup.

Oh and about washes, I also use the Ink washes that the earlier vid shows how to make. Also normally I add some of the base color to the wash so it doesn't mute the color as much and just paint areas not the whole figure. Thought I have been thinking about trying to prime the fig in white and use a wash over the whole thing to bring out the details (right now I prime black and then dry brush to do it).

• Like 1

As far as washes go, it really depends on what you want to do with your minis.

If you're just painting, then I'd probably not use washes and instead focus on learning to create depth through layering. Admittedly I use pre-made washes a lot because I'm lazy and impatient, but you do become very reliant on them and it really limits how far you can progress skill-wise.

If you're painting just to get some decent looking minis to use in games, washes will really speed up the process. You could even look into getting some Army Painter Quickshade dips

• Like 1

i forgot to mention to say, what primer do you guys use before basing your miniatures and spray sealer at the end?

if i am correct for spray primer i should use this right?   http://www.krylon.com/products/colormaster-primer/  

but i dont know, for what kind of spray sealer to use.

Edited by azizcansaythis

i forgot to mention to say, what primer do you guys use before basing your miniatures and spray sealer at the end?

if i am correct for spray primer i should use this right?   http://www.krylon.com/products/colormaster-primer/  

Since I am painting Bones minis mostly, I have had bad luck with spray primers on it (it never fully dried and was always tacky to the touch) so now I use Vallejo surface primer that I spray through my air brush.

To seal, I also use my airbrush and liquitex varnish. First I spray a couple layers of gloss then after a layer of Matte.

Since I am painting Bones minis mostly, I have had bad luck with spray primers on it (it never fully dried and was always tacky to the touch) so now I use Vallejo surface primer that I spray through my air brush.

To seal, I also use my airbrush and liquitex varnish. First I spray a couple layers of gloss then after a layer of Matte.

i see, i probably buy seal sprayer, i dont want to buy air brush yet obviously since im a beginner. if i dont mind asking, how many steps process is it for spray sealer?

I tried out some of the W&N cotman brushes. They were nice, only problem is they do wear out FAST. Seemed like the tip of my brush was already starting to hook after the first time I used it. Still usable for a lot of things, just not for detail work anymore.

For quality brushes, I have to recommend Rosemary and Co. I have bought a number of brushes from her and every one seemed to be great. Also they are a lot cheaper then the ones you get from W&N.

The series 7 I got was one of the "defective" ones, would split after a short while of painting, but still very useful for base coating, but mostly I just use my R&C brushes now and the S7 just sits in my brush cup.

for brushes its either R&C or Raphael 8404 or 8408 and for R&C, i dont know which series im gonna get. if i dont mind asking, which series did you get for brushes for your miniatures?

Edited by azizcansaythis

I just use the Reaper brush on primer, thinned a bit with distilled water. Some like a spray on primer, but it's always humid in Louisiana so there aren't many days when I'd be able to use a spray on primer. The few time I did I used an old can of Citadel Skull White. Some people use Krylon, others use Army Painter, etc. My suggestion is to start cheap and experiment and see what works for you.

As for sealers, I'm in the same boat in that I use brush on more than spray, again due to humidity. With that, I have used K rayon gloss followed by matt, but now I use Reaper brush on sealer for the first coat or two, again thinned a bit with water, followed by a coat of Testor's dullcoat spray. This has kind of become my go to finish as the brush on gives a good protective coat, and the Testor's gives a great finish. Yes, I'll spray Testor's inside if the day is muggy... this, of course, makes my bride extremely happy. Lol!

For reference, in my WIP, the first few minis are Krylon sealed with gloss and matte, then starting at Phoebe the Bladesinger, are brush on and Testor's. The latter I believe look better than the former.

• Like 1

@ azizcansaythis : As to your primer question.  If I can paint bones I will paint bones over metal.  In which case primer is not needed. 

With that said as you know since we live in seatlle Spy primer is pretty much not an option most of the year.  So I use reaper's brush on primer both black and white mostly black .  You may want to consider this unless you have an place indoors with ventilation that you can use spray.  Spray is faster but personaly I think brush on is more percise and less set up and less dry time.

When I first started though Kyrlon was pretty much it for me.  Never even heard of GW or any other paints at the time.

As for sealers I use vallejo brush on varnish.  (gloss, Matte mostly sometimes satin but not often)   Again for the same reason as its always too humid and cold in western washington.  Also I am a gamer so I use gloss alot because it gives better protection.  Then I matte varnish over it to get rid of the sheen....(except in cases I want the sheen...like blood or really shiny armor that kind of thing,  Doesnt look good on fire though....just fyi)

• Like 1