Sign in to follow this  
VonIsHere

paint brushes for beginners.

I'd imagine Seattle is much like Southwest Louisiana, only much cooler and with larger trees…. I feel your pain with sprays! I swear we have miniature gills to live in these places….

I'd imagine Seattle is much like Southwest Louisiana, only much cooler and with larger trees…. I feel your pain with sprays! I swear we have miniature gills to live in these places….

well it hovers in the 40s-60s range most of the year and then we have a couple months where its below freezing and maybe 1 month where its 90+  When its hot here sometimes its humid sometimes its dry. 

It can also be a bright sunny day...and rain....seattle is weird like that.  Then of course eastern washington is a desert....almost.

for a starter brush, I strongly recommend Winsor and Newton's Cotman line of brushes. They are a synthetic, but quite close to the kolinsky sable brushes in behaviour, though they wear out faster. They are however a third the price and should last you through your first several figures until you decide if this is indeed a hobby you want to spend a good deal of time and money on.

I prefer Winsor and Newton's Sceptre brushes to their Cotman brushes for general-purpose acceptable-quality beginner workhorse brushes. Sceptres cost a touch more (Dick Blick sells a pointed round size 2 Sceptre brush for $3.95 as opposed to a Cotman size 2 for $3.21), but they are still well in the category of budget brush.

I find rounds size 2 to be the most useful (That's only for these brushes, btw. There is no standard measure of brush sizes across manufacturers and lines), and I prefer the short-handled series 101 Sceptre pointed rounds to the long-handled series 404 Sceptre rounds. The only difference between them is the handle length, as far as I can tell.

I have been reserving my W&N series 7s for only the finest and most precise details, since those brushes are currently unavailable in the United States and can't easily be replaced. My Sceptre brushes handle much of the ordinary work.

• Like 1

for brushes its either R&C or Raphael 8404 or 8408 and for R&C, i dont know which series im gonna get. if i dont mind asking, which series did you get for brushes for your miniatures?

I use Series 33 for most of my work. Though I also got a couple Series 99 red sable for working with metallics because they are suppose to be hard on brushes and dont want to ruin a good brush on them.

I shall have to look at a sceptre or two in the future. I can get S7 brushes easily enough, but I wouldn't mind having a couple of budget brushes to travel with

I find rounds size 2 to be the most useful (That's only for these brushes, btw. There is no standard measure of brush sizes across manufacturers and lines), and I prefer the short-handled series 101 Sceptre pointed rounds to the long-handled series 404 Sceptre rounds. The only difference between them is the handle length, as far as I can tell.

I have found that the R&C brushes are smaller then the Series 7. So if you want an R&C that is the same size at the S7 #2 youll need to get a #3.

I found some Series 7's today on Amazon! I Ordered a OO, and a OOO. I'm going to have to try some of these other brands people are recommending though….

for brushes its either R&C or Raphael 8404 or 8408 and for R&C, i dont know which series im gonna get. if i dont mind asking, which series did you get for brushes for your miniatures?

I use Series 33 for most of my work. Though I also got a couple Series 99 red sable for working with metallics because they are suppose to be hard on brushes and dont want to ruin a good brush on them.

hard time choosing series 92, 93 or 323. 

series 92.  http://www.rosemaryandco.com/micro-red-sable

series 93. http://www.rosemaryandco.com/pure-sable-spotters

series 323. http://www.rosemaryandco.com/pure-kolinsky-spotters

As a fellow Seattle forum dweller (and still a painting noob), I'll add a few notes.

I like brush on primer a lot. Spray is certainly faster, but it doesn't always get an even coverage. In addition, I usually catch new details on the mini as i brush on the primer.

I haven't had much problem with spraying on varnishes at the end of a project. I keep all the materials indoors, and only step out to the patio to quickly spray a mini then jump back inside. I've done this on freezing days, and not had problems yet. If it's a pretty volatile spray, I'll keep the mini(s) in the bathroom with the fan going to keep the fumes down. I also don't spray on days when it's pouring out either.

If you're looking for the better quality synthetic brushes, try looking at Michaels in Lynnwood or Tukwilla. For sable brushes, you could try the Dick Blick or Daniel Smith art supply shops in the SODO area. I have not been to either myself yet, but they're on the list for when I get home again.

Just to chime in, I was unimpressed by the Michaels' in Tukwilla (I think, is that in a place with a LOT of stores, with a sport shop next door?). However, close to it (in front of a Ross) was a HobbyTown USA that carried Vallejo Game Color and Vallejo Model Air, as well as GW paints and extras; plus a lot of evergreen and plastruct materials. Also Woodland scenics ;)

The Dick Blick at SODO was really nice, but the brushes section was scarce, very scarce. I got FW inks there, however, and they have a lot of Golden high-flow acrylics and fluid acrylics if you are to experiment. Also, Master's Brush Soap and a lot of other nifty things for acrylics... 

Just to chime in, I was unimpressed by the Michaels' in Tukwilla (I think, is that in a place with a LOT of stores, with a sport shop next door?). However, close to it (in front of a Ross) was a HobbyTown USA that carried Vallejo Game Color and Vallejo Model Air, as well as GW paints and extras; plus a lot of evergreen and plastruct materials. Also Woodland scenics ;)

The Dick Blick at SODO was really nice, but the brushes section was scarce, very scarce. I got FW inks there, however, and they have a lot of Golden high-flow acrylics and fluid acrylics if you are to experiment. Also, Master's Brush Soap and a lot of other nifty things for acrylics... 

You are correct thats where it is...

Last time I went to Hobby town which was like 10 years ago they didnt have anything but train and model stuff (no paint) So they have changed over the years it seems.

Yep, the VGC and VMA racks were well stocked. If you want to pick a few to try them out, you should do it. They even had the Vallejo Washes line, in little and big pots (I was waaaaay over budget so I couldn't pick any), and Model Scenic Realistic Water in a big bottle. 

They had some other brands of paints, mainly for airbrushing tanks, planes and RC cars... some airbrushing supplies as well. I liked the place, even if small and cluttered.

If some of you want to try the Matte Varnish, or the Glaze Medium or Thinner, go check if they have some. I picked up an extra bottle of acrylic thinner because that thing is just magic for the Scale75 paints ;)

Minis-wise, only GW, sorry.

Oh wow they even have GW mini's! lol  When I had gone there years ago I went in looking for minis and they had none.  Since they didnt have anything I felt no need to return.  Now I will have to check it out. 

Though I am set for paint..I may want to go for some washes...just to sample.

• Like 1