Sign in to follow this  
Mutilatedlips

Razorwing Griffon - Circle of Orboros - PP

Painted this one up fairly quick and thought I would post. Fun model to paint. No issues which was nice. He comes close to the color scheme of my Everblight army, but enough stands out to keep him from getting mixed up. Hope you enjoy.

Razor1.jpg

Razor2.jpg

Razor3.jpg

• Like 20

next step is explaining how you rivet metal blades to feathers.....

Seriously though, that looks great.  Love the scheme, and you've really brought him to life.

• Like 1

Great work with the wings.  They're excellent (along with the rest of the mini). 

Answering ShadowRaven's question about riveting the blades to the wings:  With magic double-sided sticky tape +1.

• Like 3

This model is one of the big reasons I don't go for the Circle minis...this guy makes no sense to me at all, from a physiological standpoint or a mythological one.

But Legion's beasts make perfect sense. Go figure.

Anyway, since you didn't sculpt this guy, let's talk about paint...

The wings you gave this guy are awesome, I love the iridescent quality to them. I also really like the texture you gave his body, it's nicely done.

I'd like to see some more interesting work on the beak and on the blades. The metal has a really nice color to it, with the purplish glaze, but overall it looks pretty flat in the photos. Pulling the shadows down on the facets will help this; just push the contrast a bit. The beak, I think, could have a bit of texture, or a bit of color (but probably not both, on this model). There's a part of me that would go for color, just to draw the eye a bit more to the face. Right now the green plating on his forehead is more interesting than his eyes or nose/mouth.

Of course, the green armor plates are pretty great, so maybe that's ok. His armor is very nice.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody!

I can't disagree with anybody's statements. He is a weird model, that is for sure.

Would I have purchased him for any other reason other than he is a 5 point warbeast with some cool abilities that my wife desperately wanted in her Orboros army? ...not really.

Is he much cooler to me once I painted him...yes, he is now one of the few, the proud, the painted.

This model is one of the big reasons I don't go for the Circle minis...this guy makes no sense to me at all, from a physiological standpoint or a mythological one.

But Legion's beasts make perfect sense. Go figure.

Anyway, since you didn't sculpt this guy, let's talk about paint...

The wings you gave this guy are awesome, I love the iridescent quality to them. I also really like the texture you gave his body, it's nicely done.

I'd like to see some more interesting work on the beak and on the blades. The metal has a really nice color to it, with the purplish glaze, but overall it looks pretty flat in the photos. Pulling the shadows down on the facets will help this; just push the contrast a bit. The beak, I think, could have a bit of texture, or a bit of color (but probably not both, on this model). There's a part of me that would go for color, just to draw the eye a bit more to the face. Right now the green plating on his forehead is more interesting than his eyes or nose/mouth.

Of course, the green armor plates are pretty great, so maybe that's ok. His armor is very nice.

Maybe some yellow with the beak? I tried a couple of other things, but each time just the base color and a brown wash looked best to me. As for the eyes...he has little itty bitty teeny tiny eyes lol, I honestly was trying to figure out if he had eyes at all after I primed him.

The blades have 3 shades of reaper metal paint on them and P3 armor wash.   I've compared mine to several other paint jobs online and I'm not seeing much of a difference on the blades. I don't like making excuses but I think it is a lack of detail on the model itself, maybe because it is a resin model? The only thing I can think of is to use the wash full force instead of adding a drop of flow improver. I really didn't see the need for spending too much time on this model though.

The legs were the same deal, I could not leave them just a flat color and they looked so boring with no fur or feathers sculpted on them.

I'm certainly not going to say you should go back and repaint a piece you feel is finished; most of my suggestions are for things to look for on future models.

Yellow on the beak, something in the unsaturated range like Reaper's palomino gold, would likely do the trick. Something that will brighten it without pulling out of the earthy tones on the rest of the model.

For the wing-blades, I really like the colors you have; the trick is to adjust the "sparkliness" of the metallic paint...where you would normally paint shadows, just use your wash to build up opacity so the metal doesn't shine there. Using the wash full-force, or with just a bit of thinning, should do the thing.

Anyhoo...he really does look good as-is. The colors are great, and as I said, I love what you did on the skin. Your wife has a great looking beast to fill those five points!

• Like 1

Your suggestions are always good, I appreciate them and I always anticipate you stopping by to give me some advice. I do try to keep them in mind the next time I paint something.

I'm certainly not going to say you should go back and repaint a piece you feel is finished; most of my suggestions are for things to look for on future models.

Yellow on the beak, something in the unsaturated range like Reaper's palomino gold, would likely do the trick. Something that will brighten it without pulling out of the earthy tones on the rest of the model.

For the wing-blades, I really like the colors you have; the trick is to adjust the "sparkliness" of the metallic paint...where you would normally paint shadows, just use your wash to build up opacity so the metal doesn't shine there. Using the wash full-force, or with just a bit of thinning, should do the thing.

Anyhoo...he really does look good as-is. The colors are great, and as I said, I love what you did on the skin. Your wife has a great looking beast to fill those five points!

Looks awesome any chance you could share what paints you used for the wings? Really liking what you did with them

Thanks! Hard to remember....I know the dark blue is Breonne blue, the lighter inner blue on his back may have been ice Blue. I washed with blue liner just to see what would happen and I think I drybrushed with ghost white.