Sign in to follow this  
AnneO'Leary

Edna, the Crazy Cat Lady and Baron Simone LeCroix

I love your work on Edna. She looks like she's under some gross fluorescent lighting in a nursing home or something, with that sickly green pall. Very evocative! Your work on LeCroix is good too, but the base is a little overwhelming. The subdued palette looks great, but you should have stuck with it on the base, rather than going with those bright, eye-catching colors and patterns.

• Like 2

Edna looks great, and I love the kitty by her feet. Her face has a starkness to it fitting your goal. The Baron himself is well done. He has a nice crisp look to him. I agree with Slendertroll on the base colors as they drew my eye more than the figure. Perhaps the background is too close to the Baron's primary colors, thus drawing the base out?

• Like 1

The Baron looks fantastic. I'm not a big fan of the colorful base. Too stark versus his muted palette, though I'm guessing that was the idea. Edna's background washes her out a bit, so it's hard to make out the work you've done on her face. The clothing details are superb, though.

Edited by JeffyBaby
  • Like 1

Did anyone else see the title to this thread and think "Man, that marriage is NEVER gonna last."

Everything else I have to say is +1 to previous comments:

Edna is awesome, the skin tone and color pallet are perfect.

Baron's base is too bright, but I love love LOVE the concept you went for. 

• Like 1

The paint job on both is amazing. I quite like the base of edna, but I agree with those who found the baron's base a tad too busy for the rest of the figure. It's a great base all the same, and I look forward to seeing more like it from you

• Like 1

I was thinking, and maybe you could try a sort of red-brown glaze over the base? It'll unify and tie it together with the rest of the mini, and mute it some without getting rid of those great bold patterns.

• Like 3

I love your work on Edna. She looks like she's under some gross fluorescent lighting in a nursing home or something, with that sickly green pall. Very evocative! Your work on LeCroix is good too, but the base is a little overwhelming. The subdued palette looks great, but you should have stuck with it on the base, rather than going with those bright, eye-catching colors and patterns.

You're right about the base and I like your idea of glazing it down so it is muted. I was just thinking, I should contrast it with the figure, but I went WAY too far!  Thank you for your critique and for your suggestion.

The Baron looks fantastic. I'm not a big fan of the colorful base. Too stark versus his muted palette, though I'm guessing that was the idea. Edna's background washes her out a bit, so it's hard to make out the work you've done on her face. The clothing details are superb, though.

Edna's face is too stark. I went back over her and tried to deepen the shadows, but I didn't deepen them enough. Using skin tones other than just normal flesh is new to me and it's going to take time for me to get it down correctly.. Thank you for your critique. I appreciate it.

Did anyone else see the title to this thread and think "Man, that marriage is NEVER gonna last."

Everything else I have to say is +1 to previous comments:

Edna is awesome, the skin tone and color pallet are perfect.

Baron's base is too bright, but I love love LOVE the concept you went for. 

Yeah, the title does look kind of funny. I thought for a minute for a funny way to play that off, but I couldn't come up with a title clever enough.

• Like 1

I love your work on these two figures! It helps me to see where I need to go with my highlighting. Edna looks splendidly angry with life, the universe, and everything! LeCroix, to me at least, looks awesome! His base screams dude up to no good at Mardi Gras. He reminds me of the voodoo scene in The Princess and the Frog. To me it adds to his character, but I can see how others feel that it overwhelms the color palette on LeCroix himself. For me though, it works well! Great job on both of them, and this reminds me that I have a pound of Sculpey I need to start using  ^_^

• Like 1

Anne;

These two pieces are incredible.

I have to admit that I howled when I saw the title, and then saw Edna; the Cat Lady.

Your description cracked me up, and your choice of those muted colors is brilliant !

They look so well painted.

You did a great Job with these; can't wait to see more !!!!

• Like 1

Hi Anne;

Love both miniature figures...excellent work from you as usual! I really love the way you captured your depiction of the cat lady.

Paul

• Like 1