Sign in to follow this  
scorpio616

Free* round metal bases for big miniatures. (most 3"- 4")

Next time you are opening up a can of food, or when buying canned goods, measure the lid, There is a good chance it will be 3" or 4" across. To get that lid ready to be a base for a big miniature, you'll probably just need a hand held can opener.

post-12161-0-71489100-1397679463_thumb.jpg

post-12161-0-43056500-1397679465_thumb.jpg

Then wash the can lid and file down any left over burs of metal if there are any,

You'll have a nice durable metal base for your big minis. Magnet ready too in case you want to be able to swap bases for various rulesets.

post-12161-0-48999400-1397679464.jpg

This does not generally work with pull ring type cans, so you might have to change your brands if you get the fancy cans.

Edited by scorpio616
  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Darcstaar
      My second project for Fealron marked off a few firsts: First magnetization, first mounted cavalry, first Pugh sculpt.

Here you can see the 2mm magnets inserted strategically.

This is how he sits mounted.  But, I wanted to keep it removable, thus the magnets.  I confirmed it would stay in place upside-down!

A sharpened paper clip acting as the scaffold for the horn.  I also sharpened the lance tip.  It comes cylindrical out of the blister.

Green putty to make the horn and cover/reinforce the magnets.

White brush on primer, Black on the base.  
      I tried a little experiment with the base coat to give the bone a more orange look:  1:1 Ruddy Flesh:Desert Stone.  It may become my go-to for bone work.
    • By odinsgrandson
      The Faceless is a neat game with some really interesting miniatures.
      The player token is a compass, and all of the miniatures have magnets in them to manipulate what direction the compass points. When the players move, they have to follow the compass direction.
      It is a really neat game, and most of the minis are little double sided dioramas (they have one side that’s a poor child about to be abducted by a monster, and the other side is the creepy little chimera that he turns them into).
      Anyway, here are the minis I painted:

• By Metalchaos
      Good Friday everyone,

With the forthcoming release of the Bones version of Viridius the Great Dragon on December 17, it is a pleasure for me to unveil today my work on a pewter version of this winged giant. Here it is, 10021 Viridius protector of the Woodspike forest sculpted by talented Jason Wiebe. As you can see, there was enough space behind its frilled head to add horns. So, I made a set of giant goat-like horns and a set of stag antlers. The horns and antlers have a metal armature “finishing nail” and they are held in place by magnets that I glued in holes I drilled in the dragon skull. Please, see my Viridius WIP for more details.

It was a long-term project, I started working on it in June last summer. I hope you will like it and that my work will be a source of inspiration for some of you. I used Army Painter Goblin Green primer, Games Workshop inks, Reaper MSP acrylic paint and traditional brushes, no airbrush. I used real rock on the base and natural roots for the trees. The synthetic grass is mainly from Woodland Scenics.

• By Metalchaos
      Hi everyone, it's been some time. I recently completed the individual base for the Fox Critters I painted lately. I stuck a magnet under each model and in each base socket. This way, each model and base are interchangeable. I will now build a large diorama base on which there will also be magnet encrusted socket to hold and display all the models together. As suggested by @Boaz , I used flat magnetic tape, it was easy to cut to the shape and size I needed. I used Reaper's 40mm round base and filled them with green stuff that I carved like grass. I then added natural stones and painted birch tree seeds shell and dry roots for the trees and dead gnarled branches. These 28mm pewter models were all sculpted by Dave Summers for Dark Sword Miniatures.

• By Morgenes
      Hey all,
      First time posting.  I was wondering what minis you all use for ancient dragons.  I was looking at the Pathfinder deep ancient red dragon and it's never less than 500 on eBay.  So I figured I'd check out unpainted ones from reaper.  Which dragon do you think would work as an ancient red dragon in size?
      Thanks
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 1 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)