Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Games and Gears Ichiban Studio pro series... April 25th

I don't think I will be chancing my money with them. My first set literally fell apart. My replacements aren't exactly WN7s. I use them for base coating...sometimes.

• Like 1

Ooh I'm sure these one will be just as good or better then W&N S7s and much cheaper, considering with those your just paying for a name.  [/sarcasm off]

I remember seeing their first kickstarter, and since I was thinking about getting into the hobby at that time.  I really wanted to get them, but I didn't have any money to space since I was saving up for a move.  I did read the posts on this forum about it and they sounded like they were going to be amazing... That is until they started arriving and, at least on this forum, were mostly defective.  Just made me glad I didn't have the money to get in on that kickstarter.

Edited by Duze

Ooh I'm sure these one will be just as good or better then W&N S7s and much cheaper, considering with those your just paying for a name.  

I remember seeing their first kickstarter, and since I was thinking about getting into the hobby at that time.  I really wanted to get them, but I didn't have any money to space since I was saving up for a move.  I did read the posts on this forum about it and they sounded like they were going to be amazing... That is until they started arriving and, at least on this forum, were mostly defective.  Just made me glad I didn't have the money to get in on that kickstarter.

W&N S7 are great (at least going via the three I have).  The first KS brushes of Games & Gears were rubbish.  Base coating only... maybe so low as sealer coating only.

Another gimmicky-looking paintbrush idea.  Not that I would consider backing this for a second, but aren't there problems with importing sable hair into the US at the moment due to an inability on the part of manufacturers to prove that the animals weren't endangered? 

If I was running this, then proving up front that I had the CITES documentation completed allowing me to get past US customs would be top priority.

Another gimmicky-looking paintbrush idea.  Not that I would consider backing this for a second, but aren't there problems with importing sable hair into the US at the moment due to an inability on the part of manufacturers to prove that the animals weren't endangered? 

If I was running this, then proving up front that I had the CITES documentation completed allowing me to get past US customs would be top priority.

As far as I know the US Department of Fish and Wildlife has not stopped a shipment of Kolinsky Sable brushes into the US when ordered by individual buyers. Wholesale purchases definitely have to have the proper documentation, so far only Raphael has done this. They maybe sliding by because these are going to individuals or the customs forms are vague enough to get around it. I don't think it even came up during their first brush KS, although the regulations were in effect at that time.

Edited by Heisler

The US bureaucrats have decided that the EU bureaucrats' documentation is inadequate and have started a little bureaucratic dominance display / trade war.

• Like 1

I'm not getting in on this one. The gimmick of a double ended brush and all the fun of watching a kickstarter project with goals was fun; I got caught up and bought a couple sets of crappy brushes. The order I received had several brushes straight out of the package that were obviously made terribly. this was not a shipping accident or a brush that wouldn't hold it's shape. These things were made by someone who either had no clue what they were doing, or just did not care. the GnG folks did a great song and dance about how they'd ship me a new full set of brushes right away. Over a month later, I still had no tracking number. Another couple weeks to respond to that email, they finally did ship me a new full set of brushes. The set that arrived still had a few of the brushes of the same poor quality. If a customer goes to the trouble of making a return on an item, the replacement should be verified by someone as being good quality. Sadly, this did not happen. At this point I wrote them off and will not waste my time or money with them again.

• Not just bad brushes, but some were outright failures in craftsmanship.
  • Very slow to correct the mistake, though they talked a good game.
  • When replacements were shipped, they sent the same poor quality items without verifying workmanship.
  • Like 4

I went in with several painters I was deployed with and we bought a pretty large allotment of these to split up. They were terrible to the point that I am now pretty much set for glue, varnish and dry brushing... As much as I respect Ichiban studio's work, once bitten twice shy I say...

• Like 1

No way I'm getting into this. The brushes from the first KS were wretched. They won't hold a point and they fall apart. I've cut mine and use them as stipple brushes. 

• Like 2

This has launched at some point and funded fairly quickly:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/554355176/games-and-gears-ichiban-studios-pro-line-brush

30 BPS for four brushes.

I was watching the  11 minute video and the brush handles look significantly thicker than the average brush handle to me, which seems like a negative: awkward to painful over long periods. Plus that lip where the brush cover closes up over the handle. 

But at 5:20 our narrator Hugo claims that the thicker handle is a specific feature that would make it more comfortable for him to paint for a long period of time. 

I don't get it.  Is a thicker handle more comfortable?  I'm dubious.

I have bigger hands so maybe a thicker handle would be an asset. hmmm

These brushes are strangely sexy though. They sorta remind me of my girlfriend's makeup brushes- maybe I'll take a better look at the brushes next time she drags me to Sephora lol.

I have bigger hands so maybe a thicker handle would be an asset. hmmm

These brushes are strangely sexy though. They sorta remind me of my girlfriend's makeup brushes- maybe I'll take a better look at the brushes next time she drags me to Sephora lol.

Eh, don't bother. Cosmetics brushes are loosely regulated and the regulations are completely unenforced. There are a bzillion claims for hair and quality and not one of them is actually tested and counterfeits are rife.

• Like 2

I don't get it.  Is a thicker handle more comfortable?  I'm dubious.

Personally I prefer a thicker handle, your hand isn't quite as tightly pinched to hold it. A minor difference but increasingly more noticable if you are painting over a long session.

I had some really nice triangle handled brushes for a while which were especially comfortable for long sessions but I can't remember the manufacturer now.

EDIT: A quick look througn my old brushs pot and I've still got a couple triangular ones which were Revell and Hobbygames but it was neither of those. Black handled and much thicker. For some reason Warzone is coming to mind in relation to them, did Target Games have their own brush range?

Edited by Nocturne

I recently bought three s7 brushes...so not remotely interested in this, based off that and their bad reviews from last run. I'd gladly review for free, but until I've had the chance to test one, not dropping my money on something of questionable quality

• Like 1