Flamehawke's Projects

I'm experimenting with things. I decided I might as well show what I am doing. I am documenting some of my stuff step by step to see how it works for me. Currently I do a mix of projects for myself and for my roommate. Since she bugs me constantly about how her minis are coming I am documenting hers a lot more than mine.

I am starting this with Finari, Female Paladin by Werner Klocke (Bones). I am aiming for a darkish painting of her for my roommate who prefers the darker look

I started with using my black ink to get everywhere I could, but I did miss a few spots. 

a0211392-f1b5-4c6e-abe2-5f232af42f40_zps

I just added Shadowed Steel to obvious armor and where I wanted it. 

Finari2copy_zpsb75fdb5d.jpg

Finari1copy_zps11cf320d.jpg

Sorry about the sizes. Still working out making Photobucket and Photoshop work for me

Edited by Flamehawke
  • Like 9

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is partly trial and error. My current class for my Graphic Arts degree is on Photoshop. So I am learning a great deal. I just have to absorb it all and just learned about a tool for the Mac to record the classes. I am looking forward to the next step of this project after I take care of a few things for assignments.

Edited by Flamehawke
  • Like 1

Feel free. Just keep in mind I am still learning and about 90% of it is me digging for information on what I want to do. Like currently working on mastering making my images look sharper so things can be seen better.

Anyways. I was feeling bored before I recalled I should listen to my classes and perhaps do my assignments for this week.

So here is Finari again. I did the cloth in Fresh Blood.

Finari_zps9fb546d4.jpg

I might have not selected the best spot for the picture and gone a touch overboard in removing the background. I have others, but this looked the best out of them. Just when I think I know photo bucket a bit better it misbehaves on me

Edited by Flamehawke
  • Like 6

I'll be adjusting them. Its mostly resizing in Photobucket and I am working out the size for them better. Alright. Hopefully that will fix size issues. I admit I am still not great at taking photos, but part of the point of this is so my friend will stop bugging me about where I am on her mini. if it goes well I may start documenting every step for all my minis. At least it has me slowing down to consider how to do things more.

Edited by Flamehawke

I wanted to do another step before I went to bed. I added Ruby Red to a few sections and discovered a spot that needs some shadowed steel. I'll likely do that when I go to do the next step. Which I think will be the Antique Gold. It is metallics heavy on this one, but I felt it would fit for now.

FinariRuby2_zps80b0734b.jpg

FinariRuby1_zpsfbdea4e8.jpg

I hope the sizes look okay this time.

• Like 11

Alright. I got a couple of steps down and it looks like I will be finishing her up to the quality my roommate likes and it is coming out better than previous. I am trying to push my skills a lot more, though they are used in tabletop games I see no reason they cannot also be painted up to look nice as well.

This is the Antique Gold. Some bits are harder for me to paint/see to paint as my magnifying glass is already in Omaha ahead of my move to there in June.

Finari3_zpseadeb545.jpgFinari1_zpsc2062e76.jpg

This is done with Fair Skin in order to keep the look I was aiming for

Finari1_zpse9a4a717.jpgFinari2_zps37e3bf77.jpg

Actually. Upon reflection this might get completed tonight as I am fairly bored and want to move onto my next project I am super excited about, the Frost Wyrm!

• Like 7

I tried to post earlier and the internet decided to hate me. I finished Finari to the level my roommate just wants her now rather than allow further touch-ups. So I have pictures of how she looks as she is finished far as painting and my roommate is concerned.

Finari4_zps15476b13.jpg

Finari3_zps4773cae2.jpg

Finari2_zpse59787d0.jpg

Finari1_zps0c657c25.jpg

So as note before reminding that she basically all base coat this is the way my roommate prefers her minis. My group is not fond of shadows or highlights and avoids them heavily. So it is also a skill I am about to embark on learning with my Frost Wyrm to an extent. Once they see how it can enhance the miniature they will be all for it. That is how they were in regards to inks until Used ink on my purple worm to give it a dirtier color.

• Like 11

Double post, but I wanted a clean one for this. I am about to start on my bones Frost Wyrm. I am thinking of doing a layer to sit under everything and paint on top of that. I was thinking of making it a dark blue with Ghost white over the top of it. I want to paint it Remorhaz style and want to try to impart a fire and ice type feel to it. This will require me to work on doing shadows and highlights I know.

So here is the thing. Any recommendations for getting shadows and highlights on a mini? Is there a way to do it simply for a novice to shadows and highlights?

I heard a simple technique for figuring out highlights a few days ago. It works best with armor but I think it can be used on anything. Simply take clear water and apply it to the area you wish to paint. Don't be afraid to drench it if need be. Then use the ambient light (or a lamp for forced perspective) to ascertain where the light hits it the most and least. Then simply wipe off the water and do your best to remember/replicate what you saw.

I'm just regurgitating what I saw on a YouTube video and by no means do I know what I'm talking about O.O

• Like 3

Double post, but I wanted a clean one for this. I am about to start on my bones Frost Wyrm. I am thinking of doing a layer to sit under everything and paint on top of that. I was thinking of making it a dark blue with Ghost white over the top of it. I want to paint it Remorhaz style and want to try to impart a fire and ice type feel to it. This will require me to work on doing shadows and highlights I know.

So here is the thing. Any recommendations for getting shadows and highlights on a mini? Is there a way to do it simply for a novice to shadows and highlights?

the quickest and easiest way to shade a mini,....is dip it (army painter makes what is known as dip which is basically auto shade. ) I dont use it personally even though Ive thought about it  Simply for speeds sake.  If speed is what you want I would look into it.

You could do a black wash on all the armor and red parts.  And a brown wash on the hair, skin, and gold parts  Exact colors vary depending on the paint you have.  This will of course darken it more.  In which you can either choose to highlight first and then wash or vice versa.

Mr. Melons idea with highlighting is a good way to find where to highlight but there isnt really a quick way to do it.  Thankfully it doesnt really take that long in the first place.  (except on big minis its a pain)

• Like 1

I heard a simple technique for figuring out highlights a few days ago. It works best with armor but I think it can be used on anything. Simply take clear water and apply it to the area you wish to paint. Don't be afraid to drench it if need be. Then use the ambient light (or a lamp for forced perspective) to ascertain where the light hits it the most and least. Then simply wipe off the water and do your best to remember/replicate what you saw.

I'm just regurgitating what I saw on a YouTube video and by no means do I know what I'm talking about O.O

That sounds really cool and an awesome reason to brush up camera skills more. Now I may have to dig up the youtube video for that as it sounds like a neat way to do keep in mind where they have to go. Much better than my trying to guess and I have no problem drenching a mini if it will help

the quickest and easiest way to shade a mini,....is dip it (army painter makes what is known as dip which is basically auto shade. ) I dont use it personally even though Ive thought about it  Simply for speeds sake.  If speed is what you want I would look into it.

You could do a black wash on all the armor and red parts.  And a brown wash on the hair, skin, and gold parts  Exact colors vary depending on the paint you have.  This will of course darken it more.  In which you can either choose to highlight first and then wash or vice versa.

Mr. Melons idea with highlighting is a good way to find where to highlight but there isnt really a quick way to do it.  Thankfully it doesnt really take that long in the first place.  (except on big minis its a pain)

Speed used to be a top priority for me and I loved getting 3-4 minis done in a week. Now I want to actually push my skills and get better than I currently am. I toyed with using a dip as well. Especially as I finally found a store here that sells the stuff and talked me into trying Citadel again. I will try your method for the shadows (kinda what I aimed for on Finari) and use Mr Melons for highlights. Then I will likely experiments as I know at least 1 or 2 areas I am going to want to have the appearance of heat.

This is a biggish mini. I want to get this down as I think it will make the minis look much better, plus after that my next mastery project will be learning how to make really nice bases for the minis as well. 

Anyways short end is that taking time is not an issue at all. Really I am painting in between school work and packing as I move in June. So I don't mind if it takes longer and my mom is enjoying seeing the pictures as she can't see the minis in person until I move in June. 

I'll start the mini later when I wake up after I do somethings for school so I don't fall behind.

• Like 3