Flamehawke's Projects

On the plus side, having spent a lot of time doing basecoats you should have developed more brush control.  Being able to start with a neat & tidy basecoat gives you a nice starting point to work on shadows & blending. 

Good luck with school, and I'm looking forward to seeing how your skills progress!  :)

• Like 3

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what LB said. a good base coat is the foundation for a good paint job. shadows and highlights get to be a little tricky, but I quite enjoy them. Dipping is good for knocking out a figure quickly, or in my case, I use it for doing groups of mooks that don't need to be painted to the same level as a shelf piece. 

• Like 2

Alright. After being a bit quiet and getting a chunk of school stuff out of the way. Well until I actually sit down and create the combined from different pictures that I have to do. I did a couple of things on the Frost Wyrm, but only one picture as my brain shut down when I did that step. I am doing a type of priming my mom suggested to me to help with the layers above. So I did the back and portions of the head. Like I said I am trying several things and am nervous about them, but until I do them I can never learn how to do them.

I want to eventually mimic a type of glow/gleaming effect. i also want to work on my highlighting and shadowing. So here is the blue priming. Since I only have Reaper paints and those are limited in scope I chose to use LED Blue to get a cooling effect. 

FrostWyrm_zps4d114432.jpg

• Like 11

Apparently I lost my pictures for in between last stage and this one. Since I have no washes and no container s to put a wash in I have to use the inks I have on hand instead. So I used purple ink over the main body and red ink over the belly and a couple of key spot for the  top. I intent to next go to certain spots and paint in with ghost white. As the main body color since I have noticed it has a blue tint to it and will figure out how to do the shadows and highlights next.

Inked1_zps53aef0ab.jpg

• Like 11

This my last one before bed and perhaps for a day or so. I need a rest before I make sure it is on smooth, do the top of the scales and get a bit  added back in for shadows of the blue shades. Those scales will end up a brilliant red with some white and yellow done correctly to indicate the heat a remorhaz can throw off even though it is a creature of the north.

Here is the Ghost White done on it for the skin.

GhostWhite4_zpsbb531fc3.jpg

It is a bit messy looking due painting in tight spots. Still not great at that, but I figure it will come with practice.

• Like 10

That blue & white is a very striking effect!  I don't know that I would have had the patience to pull that off, so kudos to you!

To be honest LB painting is one of the areas i have a ton of patience for. I can sit still for hours just working on minis and realize how cramped I feel when I stretch at the end. That is an accomplishment for me as I usually bore easily and go find something else to do. I have never liked holding or sitting still unless i am painting a miniature. The only other things I can focus on so well is prepping my game, but that can be very easy to distract me from.

Thus far this is the only hobby I have that I am able to focus on so singularly without fail.

• Like 3

One of the fantastic things about miniature painting is instant gratification !

Working for years as a computer geek, I relish the fact that a few movements with paint

produces visual, and substantial change on the miniature I am painting.

I am rather cerebral; but nothing satisfies as much as seeing a miniature that I have

created in my hand. !

• Like 2

I have to agree Jason. I love seeing the finished product of what I painted. I enjoy it even more when it is both time and labor intensive for some reason. I derive more pleasure from it the more effort it seems to take.

@LB If you think that skin work was impressive for patience... Just wait until you see the next portion of what I am doing which is multi-step and will be posted when it is complete. I am outlining each scale in red, then I will add some orange, then some yellow and finally white to indicate the heat radiation. I will be working out something similar for the frills, but I have no experience with blending so it likely will not look that great. (especially on the scales since they are smaller and my magnifier is in Omaha)

I will post pictures once I finish all the scales steps on him

• Like 2

Soooo...

Ignore my last post after about a week on all the portions I was adding red to or putting on this darker shade of red I decided I will show each step as it completes as it is a pain to complete each section and makes me wish I had my visor as annoying as it can be. 

Anyways. This step of red I used Spattered Crimson for as I wanted a dark red for it to show it heating up. As I said I am building up to white at the edges of the frill, center of the scales and belly.

FrostWyrm1_zps84e32e09.jpg

FrostWyrm2_zps787b4990.jpg

So I know on the portions I had already painted red it can be hard to tell the shades apart at times, but I promise it get easier as I press on. It also does not look overly neat currently. I hope to fix that as I go.

• Like 9

Phew. Bored and promised my roommate I would stay up with her so I am working on the Frost Wyrm. I did the Lava Orange, Sun Yellow and Pure White for the rest of the scale. belly, and frill colors. I think the colors are slightly off for the effect I am after, but it is a bit hard to do. 

I think it looks interesting and definitely appealing to me. I think it looks better than I expected it would. As a note this is not glued yet as I find it hard to paint some minis when i assemble first.

FrostWyrm_zpsf6a24b8e.jpg

I hope this is of interest to people.

• Like 15

Okaaaay. I finished my Frost Wyrm last night. Took Talae's suggestion especially as I made the eye muted shade of blue.  I am down to touch up work to ensure it is covered with enough paint to not see the layer below it. I would be showing pictures, but I have to find my camera first. Apparently it decided to hide while I was sleeping

Alright. Found the camera out in the kitchen for some reason. And took the pictures. Then I used photoshop to stitch them into one file. So here it is...

Final_zpsecd3410f.jpg

Hope it meets approval. I am rather pleased that it turned out as well as it did. I was afraid this would fall really flat. Now I will pick my next mini and will use the shadow and highlight. Someone at Nerdvana showed me a very simple easy shadow technique. After that I can figure out the highlights.

Edited by Flamehawke
  • Like 14