Flamehawke's Projects

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The wyrm turned out great.

For a red hot glow you have to transition from a super dark red (pretty much black) to white with a lot of orange and/or yellow depending on the hot. You also need to reverse things where the highlights are where the shades would be and vica-versa.

• Like 4

Since I intend to purchase a second I'll try that on the next one. I had not realized a reversal would work. Now I have an excuse to purchase a second. I need more practice so I can make it look even better. I learn something new about painting minis.

This is why I post them here. The tips for improving are wonderful and I can put them to work in a wonderful way.

• Like 1

Your wyrm looks really neat! I love your colour scheme. The only advice I can give is to work on your colour transitions a bit. Blending is actually really easy once you get the hang of it. The trick is to thin the paints and then apply gradually lighter or darker colours blending into the next colour. I recommend the Painting Clinic on youtube. Helped me greatly. ^_^

• Like 3

Hmm. I'll go look it up. I like having videos as I can pull them back to a point I need gone over again. Well that and the fact I can have trouble recalling what was said to me unless I have a way to access the information when I actually need it.

So I shall hunt down this Painting Clinic as it can always be good to hunt up more information to improve painting skills.

• Like 2

Your wyrm looks really neat! I love your colour scheme. The only advice I can give is to work on your colour transitions a bit. Blending is actually really easy once you get the hang of it. The trick is to thin the paints and then apply gradually lighter or darker colours blending into the next colour. I recommend the Painting Clinic on youtube. Helped me greatly. ^_^

Hmmm. Found it. Might go through on these videos when i work on minis. He seems to explain layer fairly well and I see a good many useful tutorials

• Like 3

I learned a lot from the "Girl Painting Video"s that Alexandra puts out.

Just wish her voice didn't put me to sleep.

I usually look at the video without sound at first.

Then struggle to listen to her and NOT fall asleep !

She has a great video where she demonstrates how to paint in layers, increasing the color with each overlap.

She's on youtube also.

• Like 1

I just washed my metal minis. First time I ever did that as I did not know i needed to. I can tell a difference in the feel and look of the mini. Shocked me to say the least, next I will likely prime them all to save time. Still deciding in full what to paint. Thinking I will do Sophie and the Strumpet for my friend. See if I can finish one or both before I move.

I learned a lot from the "Girl Painting Video"s that Alexandra puts out.

Just wish her voice didn't put me to sleep.

I usually look at the video without sound at first.

Then struggle to listen to her and NOT fall asleep !

She has a great video where she demonstrates how to paint in layers, increasing the color with each overlap.

She's on youtube also.

I will hunt those up. I might be able to stay up through them as I am used to listening things I find dull and staying awake so I don't get in trouble (classes tend to be dull as they go over technical things in too gray of detail for my tastes.)

• Like 1

LOL.. you cracked me up !

I used to write my note in latin, or another language to keep my prof's from knowing that I thought they were

moron's.  Good luck with Alexandra, her voice is just  so monotone, and unaccented I can't help but fall asleep.

My other friends have the same problem.

• Like 2

I have listened to Alfred Hitchcock. He does the same exact thing. So long as it is something I want to know then I can pay attention.

I will stay awake for her if I use her videos more. I have to really pay attention as she seems to be very soft spoken.

Edited by Flamehawke

Alright. I started my next mini, but I am missing my SD card so I can't take a picture.

I decided to experiment with new ways to do and this time I am not going chicken out of it. Since I had little to use and can only buy a few things to help. I got some corks and I found some poster tack. I used it to stick the mini to a cork and see if it makes it easier paint. I am happy it seems to be working  currently for at least priming.

I am painting the Strumpet from the bones line. I have primed it is splintered bone to help with later painting. I hope to find my SD card so I can take pictures easily again.

I actually checked there first as that is the sort of thing I would do. Sigh. It has to be here somewhere. I just have to find it is all. I likely will as the last of the stuff gets packed away. Just an annoying thing to happen is all.

• Like 1

Okay. Found the SD Card on my bedside table for some reason...

Anyways here is the strumpet primed in Splintered bone more to help my eyes than anything on the mini.

Strumpet1_zpscb9ace46.jpg

This one is for my friend and roommate. So things will be done slowly to make her look like how my friend envisions her than me

• Like 5

By the way. People should feel free to comment, give advice or such even if I don't ask for it. I might find the advice very useful to improve the mini.

I took the frost wyrm to a game store in town with painters. They gave some advice to make it look even better. I did get annoyed as they did not notice the sealer had frosted even on close examination. They said I was being too hard on my paint job in regards to the frosting causing problems. They said it could work as a display piece (which would make frosting really horrible) and it was a perfect play piece. I questioned them due to that really as no matter what that frosted appearance is unacceptable to me.

• Like 1