Flamehawke's Projects

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. I missed a couple of things, but I am still mastering a few things. That may be updated at some point when I fix a couple of things I noticed on it on closer inspection.

I will admit I decided to document my mini painting so I would recall what I painted in what colors. Then decided to take a chance and post them up as WIPs since the community here is super friendly and helpful.

Alright. Next stage of the strumpet. I nearly painted  her corset the same color as the dress, but then decided to make it and part of the arms a different color. I admit it is a bit messy currently, but I generally clean up those parts as I advance further along and get more cleaned.

The dress is in Sapphire Blue and the corset is Sun Yellow.

Strumpet2_zpsb475599d.jpg

Strumpet1_zps84339e25.jpg

• Like 12

Alright. I have added more to the strumpet. A few details. I did her skin and then added a wash to darken it. Hope I got that right.

Strumpet1_zpsb1b4745c.jpg

And my friend wanted me to rebase her onto a wood floor. She bought the supplies she thought appropriate and who am I to argue. She bought me little wood disks, balsa wood, and craft glue. I think even given the balsa wood she bought me I messed something up on this.

Base_zps870d1839.jpg

• Like 7

Alright. Took a deep breath and plunged into trying to build up highlights for the first time. I have to admit it is harder than I thought and I am fairly certain I screwed up somewhere along the line, but I did it. It looks decent for if I set it down on the table, but I am certain that with practice I will get better I develop a better feel for how it works. So many new techniques in one project...

Anyways here she is facing the one she wants to tempt into her bed. (Its blurry. Either too close or table was accidentally bumped)

For both I was aiming for a simply lighting above the figure.

Highlight2_zps8494e540.jpg

This is the one I think looks worse and shows a need for improvement on the process, but I feel pleased with this first attempt so far.

Highlight1_zps1e8bbc42.jpg

As I said for a first attempt I think it went decently. Might need to update my flesh wash though. Or start investing in triads for flesh

• Like 6

Hmmm. I'm sure I can get a mechanical pencil fairly easily. I can do that. Thank you for the advice.

For the shadow/highlight I intend to keep going. For now It looks pretty decent at arm's length so I count it as a win for a first attempt.

Thank you very much for the feedback and advice. I really appreciate it as really I just have down what what colors will do the job I want. Mainly work well and convey a certain message about the character it is representing.

As far as highlighting/shading goes, the mantra around these here parts is: Higher Highlights and Deeper, Darker Shadows, it's all about the contrast especially when taking pictures of these figures. It's taken me a long time to take this advice to heart and to apply it, I still have difficulties (just like a lot of others) and don't go as far as I should. Just keep practicing and taking the advice from people, you will see how quickly you improve when you apply the honest critiques. 

• Like 1

Which is why I asked for any advice to improve them. My friends are great for telling me how wonderful the minis look, but they don't paint them. So they tend to miss things I need to do to improve.

I admit to being very nervous about this as it is my first time trying it. Before I just always went with flat colors and I realized I wanted to paint better. Only way to do it is to open myself up to critiques and advice.

• Like 1

I agree, that's why in my WIP thread I'm always asking for advice how people would do things or what I can do to improve. The "atta boy/girl" is all fine and cool, but that doesn't help you as a painter. The real help comes when people give you the honest critiques and help that will make you better as a painter, when they are specific about what looks good or what could look better. Try to improve on one thing at a time, take one technique such as highlights/shading and just work on doing better at that for a while, then move onto the next one when you are comfortable and work on that as you are still applying what you learned from before and just continue to grow and seek feedback. Practice, practice, practice and more practice will only improve your skills. You have a very solid foundation and good use of colors and are continuing to get better.

• Like 1

Thank you. I have worked a long time on making sure my colors work together. I found it easier to always keep the color wheel in mind, along with how you get certain colors to ensure they work well together. 

I have plenty of minis to practice on. I still have minis from the first kickstarted and more from the second. I will master it just by sheer volume of minis to use.

• Like 1

Alright. I worked on the blue part of her dress today. I think I was a bit happier with it, but not perfect by a long shot yet. I think it might have been a bit easier as there was more to work with. Also my hand chose to not shake as badly (of course that might have been due to me not being as nervous this time.

DressHighlight1_zps67fc3ed3.jpg

Just as a not I already adjusted a line on the back which I had meant to highlight and nearly forgot until I saw the picture.

DressHighlight2_zps1fe849cf.jpg

Alright. Feel free to comment or leave advice. Whatever you want to do on this

• Like 6