Flamehawke's Projects

When you say wick, what do you mean by that?

Remove excess paint so it doesn't pool. People use parchment paper, a damp sponge, coffee filters, and even towels to do this. Just make sure whatever you use doesn't have fibers or fuzzies that come off onto your brush and then onto your figure or you'll get yourself frustrated. 

ETA: Others use the sides of their palettes.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 4

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wicking is also a great way to help maintain the brushes point. If you paint for an extended amount of time (I'll paint for at least 6 hours straight sometimes) your brushes will lose their sharpness. Rolling the brushes when wicking, while ensuring you get all of the excess paint off all of the brush, will also help to maintain the points. I learned it from the wife. If you paint for an hour or two you really don't have to do it as frequently, but I'm a masochist.

• Like 4

How do you know if you are wicking too much or not enough?

Sorry for threadjacking.

You want enough on your brush that it flows nicely and evenly on the figure. Too much and you'll see pooling on the figure and it going into crevices. I apply my normal thinned paint like I do with glazes as far as how much paint is on the brush. Just damp enough to apply a coat of paint. It also helps to prevent chalkiness when the paint dries.

• Like 2

How do you know if you are wicking too much or not enough?

Sorry for threadjacking.

I don't mind. Whatever helps others with their painting works for me. I really don't mind my thread being used for questions that helps them get the answers they need.

• Like 2

Awww! I think I've been missing this thread! You're doing great and getting great advice! One thing, while you're playing around with glazes and washes, if too much paint comes off (didn't wick enough), I immediately rinse my brush, wick off excess water, then use it to pick up excess paint. That has saved me from having to repaint areas quite a few times. Keep up the great work!

• Like 3

Awww! I think I've been missing this thread! You're doing great and getting great advice! One thing, while you're playing around with glazes and washes, if too much paint comes off (didn't wick enough), I immediately rinse my brush, wick off excess water, then use it to pick up excess paint. That has saved me from having to repaint areas quite a few times. Keep up the great work!

I just wanna add that you pick up the excess run off by simply placing the tip of the dry brush into the wet area and letting the brush tip do all the work. It will suck up the excess for you, then you just rinse and wick dry, repeating as much as needed. It comes in handy when wet blending too.

I'll keep an extra brush handy for this too so you don't have to immediately stop either.

• Like 2

Ditto on the extra brush part. Have an empty brush near to hand, dampen it quickly when you slop, then use it to clean the slop.

It's best if this is an older brush; sometimes you may need to scrub if your paint dries enough to leave a "water mark" when you pull up the excess.

• Like 3

I've used an extra brush. I think I find it slower... either that, or I'm more prone to leave paint marks in the corner of my mouth when I put the paint loaded brush handle in my *mouth. LOL!

*sory Pingo  :down: At least I'm not a brush licker! 

Edited by Kharsin
  • Like 3

I've used an extra brush. I think I find it slower... either that, or I'm more prone to leave paint marks in the corner of my mouth when I put the paint loaded brush handle in my *mouth. LOL!

*sory Pingo :down: At least I'm not a brush licker!

I don't use an excess brush, tis okies.

• Like 3

By the way. People should feel free to comment, give advice or such even if I don't ask for it. I might find the advice very useful to improve the mini.

I took the frost wyrm to a game store in town with painters. They gave some advice to make it look even better. I did get annoyed as they did not notice the sealer had frosted even on close examination. They said I was being too hard on my paint job in regards to the frosting causing problems. They said it could work as a display piece (which would make frosting really horrible) and it was a perfect play piece. I questioned them due to that really as no matter what that frosted appearance is unacceptable to me.

What kind of sealer are you using? is it spay on or brush on? If it's spray on, then too much humidity and moisture can make that frosted look. With brush on it means that there is too much water on your brush.

• Like 1

It was a spray-on and yeah. I was cursing myself for that when I saw it happening. I should have thought better when I went to do it, but was over eager. This is the first time I have ever had the issue crop up as I usually only do it in deep summer and it is only out side lomg enough for the spraying to happen and in a controlled area

I have decided with great sorrow I will stop painting until after my move as I am far too stressed between college and the move to paint reasonably. sigh. it saddens me, but I have to be able to focus on the mini and I feel too distracted and like I am not giving the Strumpet the attention she deserves.

So until June I will be taking a break and likely I will have a second one going as well for my nieces and nephew to show their work as well. Though those might be more Show-off threads, but whatever keeps them interested.

• Like 2