Sign in to follow this  
scorpio616

Anyone recognize this sculpt or the sculptor's style on this video game box art?

Beauty & the Beast for INTELLIVISION

Saw this box in person, and now I can't shake the feeling that giant is kinda familiar, like maybe it is a old mini or  maybe the giant was sculpted by a classic sculptor. I'd assume the rest of the diorama is clay, but that giant sticks out to my eyes for some reason.

Best image i could find....

39057_front.jpg

• Like 3

It is a Ral Partha hill giant, possibly made by Tom Meier.

(found with little help from google, never saw this mini in person) :-)

rp-hill-giant.jpg

Edited by Teskal
  • Like 9

Is that really a Mize sculpt?  Must be a pretty early one.  I didn't recognize it.  Not even sure if it appears in any of my catalogs. 

Teskal had better Partha-Fu than me for this one.  No mean feat!  I feel like I should give you a prize or something. 

• Like 2

how about a bottle of partha paint for his partha-fu?

Those are biting (yes, biting, not fighting) words to Buglips!

• Like 3

Is that really a Mize sculpt?  Must be a pretty early one.  I didn't recognize it.  Not even sure if it appears in any of my catalogs. 

Teskal had better Partha-Fu than me for this one.  No mean feat!  I feel like I should give you a prize or something.

I wish I had the original catalog, but sadly I only have access to the on-line ones. This one shows up in at least a 1982 and1983 catalog 13-002, in the Children of the Night series. Dennis Mize was the only sculptor as far as I know, who contributed to that line.

I've kind of wanted to paint this miniature, but his hairy arms, legs and chest have always kind of put me off. It's a cool miniature though. I was really surprised to see that miniature on a game box.. A little piece of Partha lore that I never knew about before. I wonder in what other odd little spots Partha minis have made little cameos...

• Like 3

Didn't recognize the miniature, but I definitely recognize the buildings as now quite old International Hobby Corps (IHC) HO scale models, also made popular in the credits of "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood".  The brown one in the lower foreground is their hotel.

I recognize the distinct brick patterns on the corners, which I always hated, even as a kid.

• Like 3

Wow, here I thought the Castlevania II cover was art thefty. I don't agree with every Item on this list, but some are blatent.

Some of those are blatant; some others are nothing more than similar tropes and types. But none of them used actual photos of someone else's product the way this one does.

What I'm wondering most about are the other two figures and the conversion of the giant's chick-holding hand. At least looking at the box from afar they seem to have "modern" clothing, but equally it could be the paint job. From the two-headed ogre in the same Children lf the Night line, I know there was a naked version that could maybe be easily converted, but that's just crazy speculation. The climbing hero reminds me actually an awful lot of the climbing thief in the Grenadier thief box, except that one has a skull cap instead of that gorgeous blond head of hair. My curiosity has been aroused.....

• Like 1

What I'm wondering most about are the other two figures and the conversion of the giant's chick-holding hand. At least looking at the box from afar they seem to have "modern" clothing, but equally it could be the paint job. From the two-headed ogre in the same Children lf the Night line, I know there was a naked version that could maybe be easily converted, but that's just crazy speculation. The climbing hero reminds me actually an awful lot of the climbing thief in the Grenadier thief box, except that one has a skull cap instead of that gorgeous blond head of hair. My curiosity has been aroused.....

This game box is really interesting.  I don't think it's the climbing thief.  I'm looking at mine and his left arm is higher up than his right, his left leg is much more bent that this guy, and he has a sack and a dagger in his back and a coil of rope running down the back of his right leg.  To many differences to make converting worth the trouble, I think.

I'm guessing the two humans are HO scale disco dancers or something like that. If you look at their poses you'll see what I mean.