Sign in to follow this  
TGP

Did you miss the total lunar eclipse?

A tiny sliver of NASA's budget supports a wee little webpage called The Astronomy Picture Of the Day. As with all things NASA an acronym results: APOD. If you missed the eclipse, they did not:

eclipse_apr15th_dp.jpg

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140416.html  But do click on the link for the caption, explanation, and further links --- for the sake of SCIENCE.

Moving on to April 17th:

C523-3144-8199_900c.jpg

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140417.html This took a day or two for someone to composite. But, again, do click on the link for the caption, explanation, and further links --- for the sake of SCIENCE.

Also look for the very subtle " > " link on each APOD page, which will take you to the next day. April 16 to 20 have just been particularly cool. (Your tax dollars zapping the moon with a laser, how cool is that?)  Here is the April 20 image hidden with spoiler tagging:

volcano_stefnisson_960.jpg

...but again I recommend checking out the original. (BTW, The original image often will link to a high-res version.)

• Like 6

I didn't exactly miss the lunar eclipse, as I was up that night and knew it was happening, but it was more sort of looking out the window at my desk and noting: "Moon's out tonight", later: "Huh, it's gone now", and still later: "Oh, it's back again".

I didn't see the "blood moon" itself, but no matter, there are three more lunar eclipses this year [Edit: over the next 18 months], and then the world ends, or something like that.

APOD is a great site for desktop backgrounds, as is the Hubble space telescope website's gallery: http://hubblesite.org/gallery/

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
  • Like 2

Yes, because it was cloudy and snowing that night.

Fortunately there will be more soon enough.

• Like 1

I thought I was going to miss it but the clouds cleareed and I was able to see some of it. I couldn't watch it long though since I needed to be up a few hours later.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gary Pryor
      2nd attempt at creating a steam-punk elephant-women mad-scientist, representing a PC in a game I am running. Since such a model does not exist I made one.
      It consists of the following parts:
      The base model I had printed through HeroForge  I pinched the cables and coils from a warmachines model I found on ebay.  Finished it off with some lightning I had laying around from the previous attempt (I think it was creating action figure dioramas, but I have thrown out the packaging long ago). Nothing on the model is Reaper, but I painted it with Reaper Paints.

I had a lot of fun trying out all kinds of configurations with poster tack until settling on this combination for the rigging. The only thing it is missing is her faction symbol on the shield, but I wasn't sure how to make a stencil small enough. If any has any technique for adding coat of arms to a models, outside of trying to free hand it, I would to hear it. Here are a few pictures. The other model is for scale, and is just what I had handy.

• By Mocha
      Hi folks! I hope everyone had a Happy Easter! Painted this Mousling on last night's Twitch livestream :) Worked on some freehand lace patterns and put a normal-sized penny (I swear!) next to this little guy for scale. He was so much fun to paint 

• By ttuckerman
      April Fools! Happy Easter!
    • By Thrym
      I bought in on the Kickstarter for the board game, Planetarium.

It's a great game and the family loves it.  But we want real planets to spin around the sun.

So, I have taken it upon myself to make some.  I know, shocking.

Here's the game:

The game came with slotted stands for upright cardboard tokens for the planetoids.  But they are flat and hard to see on the board if parallel to your view.

Where to start?

First and quickest thought was to take a ping pong ball or four and just paint the planetoids on them as seen in the tokens.  But where's the fun with that.

Besides, I wouldn't be Thrym if I didn't use bark or some other basing material.  Here we go!

Ping pong balls ... close:

These are "Practice" Golf Balls available at my local non-Dollar Tree dollar store.  They come apart ... so expect to see them again!  WOOT!

But, the first one I want to make is going to a version of Planet B a turquoise colored planetoid.

Shown above and here in the Player Mat:

So, I started with the mini-wiffleball and glued small pieces of bark to it.

And then spray primed it gray:

Enjoy and Stay Tuned!
    • By Sirithiliel
      Taken with my new telescope and my Iphone held up to the eye piece

• Who's Online   48 Members, 4 Anonymous, 152 Guests (See full list)