Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
Basilisk from the Bones 5 Core Set.
I wanted to give him the classic green and gold coloring of the basilisks of lore, and I am happy with how he turned out.
Learning how to blend and layer is a continuous process of improvement for me, so tips and advice are welcome!
One of the two selections this week was the basilisk. I immediately knew I wanted to this guy as blue when I saw him, but didn't realize I'd go orange, too.
* Started this one with a brush coating of the new dark purple from Bones 5. I mean, you get these new colors, you gotta use 'em, right?
* Lightening up the purple to blues with rich indigo, then again to aquamarine. I wanted the blue to really pop.
* After getting all the blues in place it immediately occurred to me I wanted to go in a different direction. I looked at the color wheel and saw orange on the opposite end of the spectrum. Let's do it. Used it as a filter to not lose the dry brushing color and it ended up making a cool skin effect. Sweet!
* Using the orange now as my basis for something brighter and could lighten up, I placed it between all the scales and used it to bring forward the shadows.
* The shadows weren't bright enough, so I took the liberties of using an orange/yellow mix to show scales on the underbelly and match them to the little dots I found on this guy's skin. With there only being a few dots they looked out of place, so I added some more dots to bring it out. May have gone a little heavy handed...
* Taking a note from my Werewolf I did in a previous post, I used the Drakenshade for areas where the muscle or armor were and used it very sparingly. Looks great and worked great! Helped define the musculature.
* Eyes pop, but feel I could have made them better.
* I love the way the bone and horns look, but I'm not sure they work for this basilisk. I originally had them as blue, but opted to keep them light. Not sure how anyone else feels about this?
* The scales on the feet needed something and rather than going orange, I went with the blue seen above. Again, seems pretty bright and I'm not totally sold on it, but it works.
This guy was fun, looks good overall, but also has a LOT going on for colors. Obviously, this is a departure from classic basilisk colors, but then again - IT'S FANTASY! I thought making the yellow areas look as though they are soft spots for a team to target. Not sure it worked fully, but it was fun. Win.
If you have any feedback or comments, please lay them on me. I can't get better without some direction from the team.
3D Design from GloomyKid Miniatures printed on my Elegoo Mars.
Part of the Shifting Sands Project.
There are many strange creatures wandering about in the Desert, some seek their shelter in abandoned ruins.
Beware the traveller who might stumble on such a beast!
Design Taloc and Kroq-Gar: Lost Kingdom
Design Tree Trunks : Artisan Guild
Design Jungle Plants : PrintYourMonsters.
Printed on Elegoo Mars.
Skulls from Greenstuffworld.
Flock from several companies.
Water Effect: Vallejo Still Water.
Part of my Lost World Project.
When the Reptilians go to War they often bring their Beastmasters who command vicious creatures.
But there is one who is the most fearsome of all, Taloc the Beastmaster is a formidable warrior himself wielding his ceremonial weapons there are few who can withstand him, but his mount is the most terrifying of all.
Her name is Kroq-Gar and she's the largest Ancient One to be found in the Lost World.
How it came to be that she chose to bond with Taloc nobody knows, but she did and Taloc only needs a gentle touch or whispered word and Kroq-Gar will do as he pleases.
She can swallow a human whole.
There are other terrible creatures in the Jungle, but even the mighty Carnosaur is no match for Kroq-Gar.
With her spiked tail and huge teeth she can kill any creature and her back is protected by a spiked boney ridge.
Taloc made sure to protect her even further by adding golden plates to her side and a headcrest.
When Taloc and Kroq-Gar appear on the battlefield there is no doubt who will be victor.
Many pics, hope you like her.
Some close ups of Taloc.