Kharsin

From the Plains of Nubia: 14321 Bow Sister

Hello all! It's been a while since I'd been working on my Exchange Mini and didn't get to post a WIP. I think I was going into withdrawals but I'm about to rectify that, hopefully not to the point of boring everyone to death.

Here's the next WIP! Bow Sister #14321, whom I'm painting up for a very good friend who love to play Munchkin with us. She always gives me grief because I demand to start as an Orc, as I tend to use Varaug all the time. At any rate, this is for her!

All washed and mounted in Miniature Holder. I love using these things, if for no other reason than they keep the mini from falling over... EVER! I had fits when just using corks. These prevent needless touch-ups.

post-12973-0-05381600-1398065270_thumb.jpg

All primed... Not the most exciting thing, but I love the look of a newly primed figure. NOT shown here are her quiver and her sword & dagger combo.

post-12973-0-19815600-1398065271_thumb.jpg

This will be the first time I go for an African skin tone. I'm using the Reaper Dark Skin Triad, so we'll see how it turns out. Luckily, there's not a lot of skin on this one, so I won't necessarily have to pull out all of the stops! Skin tones intimidate me for some reason, but it'll be nice to not have to try to pull off "fair" skin this go-round.

post-12973-0-11785000-1398065272_thumb.jpg

Blacklining isn't my specialty. It always comes out looking like a 4yr. old did it. I don't think I tried blacklining last time, but I'm planning on going with a golden-bronzish look with the armor and figured I'd try blacklining again. I'll most likely just go back over this with Intense Brown in preparation for the metallics I'll be using.

post-12973-0-21806400-1398065273_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-23519200-1398065274_thumb.jpg

I actually managed to get these eyes on the first try, which is saying a lot! I think they came out pretty good, so I'm not going to fiddle with them anymore. The right one looks kind of funny in this pic, but it looks good when viewed from a normal level and at normal scale. Of course, I realized after seeing this pic that there's no real outline on the eyes, but I'm curious as to whether I'll need it on such dark skin. Hmmmm....

post-12973-0-03351100-1398065275.jpg

At any rate, that's all for tonight! I'm sure I'll post more of this Nubian Princess as I work on her. I still haven't really figured out a basing scheme or even the cloth colors... Possibly some red/black/white combos to go with the bronzy-gold armor... We'll have to see!

-K

P.S.: I've been looking at tutorials on how to string bows. Any suggestions as to how any of you have done them in the past? Sewing thread or wire? Stretched plastic sprue? Feel free to leave comments, questions, explanations! Thanks for viewing!  :upside:

P.P.S.: Just a tip for those of us who are still newer to the hobby... ALWAYS keep a bottle of nail polish remover close at hand. While mounting her pins, I managed to superglue her to my fingers not once, not twice, but THREE times in a row! I'm not sure how it happened as it normally does not, but like jury duty, your number just comes up sometimes. Luckily, I had said bottle of nail polish remover close at hand and was able to spare my poor fingertips!

Edited by Kharsin
  • Like 10

Ya, those holder are great. Well worth the money.

She's looking good so far. Massive voodoo had a bow string tutorial not to long ago, I'd check there.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out later today... Gotta get some sleep! LOL!

A very nice start! The miniature holders are nice. I tend to use my old craft paint bottles but these look better and being able to grab from above the mini would be very nice. Good start on the eyes

What is the actual product name of that miniature-holding-thingy?

I've never seen or even heard of it before and the actual name would help when looking for it.

Thanks.

What is the actual product name of that miniature-holding-thingy?

I've never seen or even heard of it before and the actual name would help when looking for it.

Thanks.

Well I'm not sure that it has an actual name. If it does, it's in German and gets lost in translation. I purchased this one from PK-Pro. It's a bit costly (a luxury item really) but I really like that I have never had a mini fall over with it. Here's a link to the page I purchased it from:

http://www.pk-pro.de/index.php?a=2224〈=eng

Thank for the comments everyone! It's great to be WIPing again! LOL!

• Like 1

Okay! I've progressed some more on the Bow Sister. It's late so I'm going to make this a quick one...

I decided to mess around with complimentary shading (I guess!) by doing my armor base coat in Peacock Green. The below are 3 shots of the green base coat on the armor.

post-12973-0-99183600-1398153943_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-24910400-1398153945_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-20335400-1398153946_thumb.jpg

Next I base coated the cloth areas Midnight Blue. Here are 2 shots of that.

post-12973-0-29360800-1398153947_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-29558100-1398153948_thumb.jpg

Finally, I laid down a layer of Carnage Red, followed by Vallejo... Carmine Red, I think.... 3 shots. I also glazed over the cloth with Reaper Pure Black mixed with Vallejo Glazing Medium to cut the blue down a few shades.

post-12973-0-39277200-1398153949_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-48765900-1398153950_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-58500300-1398153951_thumb.jpg

The red looks very red in person, and I'll continue to layer it up as I go. I suppose I've essentially gotten most of my base colors down, and will continue to highlight up from there. Essentially my inspiration for this color scheme is red Samurai armor, which I found fitting for an archer. I see from my pics that I got a little crazy on my last glaze, but of course, it's late! Hopefully, it'll turn out well! LOL! Comments? Concerns? I'm all ears!

-K

Edited by Kharsin
  • Like 6

Well, I worked on her for a while tonight, but you can't really tell! LOL! Don't you just hate when that happens? At any rate, she's pretty challenging as I don't have a tremendous range of reds and I've never done African skin before. These pics look somewhat wanky as well, probably due to the close proximity to the Ott light. 

At any rate, I'm pretty much done building up layers of red on the armor and will probably start my accents tomorrow. I'm not quite sure what highlights I'm going to do on the dark parts of the figure. I probably need to bring the darker parts down a few more levels of darkness (gee now I sound like one of the 40K peep...) There aren't very many folds on the cloth parts of the figure to highlight, so I'm going to have to figure this one out. At any rate, when I start accenting the armor it should pull the attention from the dark recess of the figure anyway. It's a learning process! 

Here are some pics:

Did some mids and highlights on the skin, which looks really chalky in these pics, but not so much in person. I probably need to glaze down a notch or two, but I'll look at it more later.

post-12973-0-73643600-1398238050_thumb.jpg

Started base coating the bow. I'd like to build it up to a dark lacquered wood color, but I'll have to find some tutorials on lacquered wood as I haven't painted it before.

post-12973-0-53282900-1398238051_thumb.jpg

I like the way the red on the cloth is going. I'm going to have to practice with tassels before. They will probably end up being gold, as will the trim. I'm not sure what the heck is going on with the cloth in the front. It looks like it was supposed to be herringbone pattern from top to bottom, but the cast just doesn't contain that level of detail. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it... Hmmm... Maybe black/red alternating patterns? Maybe white and black? Hmmm...

post-12973-0-40634700-1398238052_thumb.jpg

This red is more true to color than the previous pics. The Ott light was too close for the former pics I'm sure. You can also see the color of the greaves and the leather skirt pieces. I'll probably try to freehand some lacing onto the greaves when the time comes.... probably... try... LOL! They look kinda funny just sitting there though, almost as if they were intended to be a continuation of the pants, but the cuff looks too much armor just to paint them as pants. So laces it shall be!!! (attempted) 

post-12973-0-24417400-1398238053_thumb.jpg

That's about it! After looking at these pics of the cloth in the front, I may just end up green stuffing the herringbone pattern smooth and trying to paint a motif on it. The top pic is literally what it looks like. The problem is that the pattern does not terminate cleanly, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to go all the way to the bottom or terminate. However, this is what mine looks like and I'm stumped for now.... LOL!

Thanks for checking out the WIP! If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them! I normally pick up speed from this point on once i kinda figure out where I'm going.

P.S.: ALSO! My Exchange Mini should arrive at its destination today, so maybe we'll get some pics of it put up somewhere! I think it came out pretty decently! Y'all can be the judge!  :upside:

• Like 4

Pahooey! This mini is kicking my butt... I'm too tired to carry on tonight. I started gilding the armor tonight and now I've had enough. I'll have to go back tomorrow and correct a few mistakes and try to even out the gilding on the plates. 

You can pretty much see where this is heading in this photograph. 

post-12973-0-08494100-1398320593_thumb.jpg

She looks terrible in this one! I'm not sure if it's the camera, the light, or what as she doesn't look this chalky or washed out in person.

post-12973-0-20209200-1398320594_thumb.jpg

Back view. I think fatigue made me get off track with the gilding on the greave and with the shading on the pants spilling over to the sash.

post-12973-0-11445400-1398320595_thumb.jpg

Here's a view of what I mean by touch ups! Gotta get them looking better!

post-12973-0-08508200-1398320596_thumb.jpg

I'm kinda stumped again with highlighting the pants and the hair. They're both basically black, but I'm not sure how far to take the highlighting up towards white. I'll need to look around as there's not a lot of definition in the cloth. Also, I think the dark skin triad left her too dark. I'm going to try to add some Mahogany Brown to the Dark Skin and see how that does us. In the meantime, I need some sleep!

-K

• Like 5

Oh...very nice. The red came out very well and is a great contrast to her skin. It even helps give her face more warmth.

Black can be a bit tough to conceptualize at first. I learned it as: the shade of black is black, and the midtone of black is black, so you only really have to worry about the highlight. As long as the majority of the surface is a black, then it will read as black. I usually use a darker grey as the highlight for black cloth. For a shiny leather surface, I go up to a light grey, applying it with a much more abrupt color shift to try to make it shiny looking.

Of course you can go off the deep end and play around with different "blacks," such as a blue-black, a red-black, a green-black, and then use pure black as the darkest shade color, but that is a different can of worms.  :devil:

• Like 2

That's what I assumed. There are a few highlights on there already in Vallejo German Black. I may need to go a bit lighter... thanks for the advice!

Nice Recovery !

Had me scared for a bit with the gold highlights !

Back on track again !

Bravo !