My VERY first mini - Bones "Mr Bones" 77195

Khaos WolfKat

Curiosity got the better of me...

I took a bit of paper napkin, twisted it to a fine point, stuffed it in the end of a plastic coffee stirrer, and secured it with a small paper clip.

I then painted most of the base of my current mini. Good Lord, it really works. With thinned paint, it covered well, left no brush marks and had about the accuracy of a typical size 0 brush. Durability is an issue, but then you just tear off the end and continue.

I'm thinking I might never buy a brush again. Well, maybe.

Good job on your first mini!

Yeah. It actually worked quite well! I'm pretty sure that inexperience, short time, and lack of magnification played a much larger part in the sloppy work than the napkin. I'm really quite surprised that no one else seemed to have thought of it before. It seemed obvious to me. Waiting for my turn with brush. Napkin is sitting there. Duh and done!

I've got 20, plus a pearlescent medium and a light wash.

To better enable your full addiction to this hobby, the number 20 is commonly used as an abstract maximum and minimum.  So all of us have precisely 20 miniatures and 20 paints.  No more and no less.  [...]

How VERY convenient! Thank you for that!

I an easily see it taking days or weeks for me to paint just one mini to my satisfaction, for sure! I guess that means I won't spend quite as much on minis, at least. ;)

Oh, would that it were so!

^_^

At first, you'll buy a figure (well, maybe two or five) and paint a figure. When you do that, you'll see a dozen figures that you'll plan to buy "some day".

At that point, just remember, a pile of miniatures might be a decent radiation shield, but it really doesn't make a very good retirement plan.

Then remind me.

Hmmmm.... I suppose the fact that I haven't even finished painting the first one and already have 8 (not counting Mr. Bones) and plans for specifics of most of them may bode ill for my game/hobby budget.

I've got Vanja, Fire Giant Queen; 2 Silverhorn Unicorns; a Minotaur; a young fire dragon; werewolf; Spirit of the Forest; and Large Earth Elemental. There would be a few more on that list, but I got the last two Forest/Earth Elementals, and they were out of the Pit fiends, Eldritch Demons, Hydras, all the other dragons, and the little wolf familiars, and they don't have the Dire Wolves or Warg in Bones yet . ::(:

Also, I now want Ghostly Summons, Virina, Female Demon, Shaeress, Dark Elf Queen, Giant Spider, and the little ratties.  And maybe some extras to try different paint jobs. I think it's far, farrrrr too late for me!

I'll ummm.. remind you of.. That thing you said before. Err.. Or something. Oooh shiny!

Just noticed I've been reading this thread but haven't commented.

So, very nice for a first mini painted with a paper napkin. I think I would have wept under those conditions, for all that I'm pretty sure I remember paintng with a bobby pin once. Much improved on the second pass, too.

I hear you on the obsessive detail-oriented painting. Are you ever in the right hobby!

I came in from a fine arts background too (or rather, I painted minis as a kid, gave them up as a mom, and came back twenty years later, more or less, to find the whole landscape utterly changed). What sort of work do you do?

I think it probably helped that I had no pre-formed ideas about optimal conditions. 

I sculpted some and drew/painted a fair bit when I was younger, as well as quite a variety of other "artsy" stuff. As for what sort of work I do now, Welllll.... I make soap and other herbal bath/body/medicinal products, I make various other crafty things like canes/staves (the hitting and walking sort of canes), paddles, other interesting "toys", leather/fur pouches and such, dream catchers, jewellery, custom beads, and other random crafts. I do web design, graphic design, sales, marketing, consulting, management, editing, and other such things for small businesses. I'm a minister. I do piercing and decorative scarification, fire cupping and healing energy/massage work... Clearly, I couldn't decided what I wanted to be when I grew up!

• Like 2

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it probably helped that I had no pre-formed ideas about optimal conditions. 

I sculpted some and drew/painted a fair bit when I was younger, as well as quite a variety of other "artsy" stuff. As for what sort of work I do now, Welllll.... I make soap and other herbal bath/body/medicinal products, I make various other crafty things like canes/staves (the hitting and walking sort of canes), paddles, other interesting "toys", leather/fur pouches and such, dream catchers, jewellery, custom beads, and other random crafts. I do web design, graphic design, sales, marketing, consulting, management, editing, and other such things for small businesses. I'm a minister. I do piercing and decorative scarification, fire cupping and healing energy/massage work... Clearly, I couldn't decided what I wanted to be when I grew up!

Ohhh that sounds like fun stuff to play with.  Its really interesting how many places people on the forum come from.

And welcome to the forums/madhouse.  Please feel free to join us in the randomness thread (we're all nuts... but we're chocolate coated nuts at least).

The first mini looks really cool!  your touch up makes him look even better!

Ohhh that sounds like fun stuff to play with.  Its really interesting how many places people on the forum come from.

And welcome to the forums/madhouse.  Please feel free to join us in the randomness thread (we're all nuts... but we're chocolate coated nuts at least).

The first mini looks really cool!  your touch up makes him look even better!

Definitely lots of fun! Lots of work too, and not very well paying at all for the moment (trying to get my sales/projects back up since I was out of commission for some time due to breaking my sacrum. (Pro tip: Don't break your back. It hurts!)

Anyway, I'm sure I'll end up participating in flights of random fancy. Or maybe fancy randoms.. Like, really nice ones with peacock feathers and sparkles and... erhm.. Wait. What were we talking about again?

Oh yeah! My mini!

I'm planning for him to look WAYYYY better once I'm finished with him. It's going to take a while, since I've got a very busy couple weeks and will only have time to paint a little bit per day, and not necessarily every day. I'll keep posting the updates to him though. :) (You can take that as either a warning or preview! LOL)

Also, thanks for the compliments, and, everyone, please do feel free to offer constructive criticism as well!

I an easily see it taking days or weeks for me to paint just one mini to my satisfaction, for sure! I guess that means I won't spend quite as much on minis, at least. ;)

AAAAAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! *wipes tear* aheh. Ha.

Won't spend as much on minis, indeed. Heh.

I'm already painting a whole bunch faster and only on my 2nd mini. I fear your fateful prediction was on the mark. I'm..umm.. kid of adding things to my cart on the Reaper store right now. I was actually looking through this thread to find the list of ones I want that I posted. Ahh well. At least it keeps me off the streets or something.