Sign in to follow this  
azizcansaythis

finally i got my miniature that i wanted, but...

Wait...  Card Kingdom has paint days?  I really, really need to get out there sometime.  Perhaps this summer.

i dont even know that about the paint days.

Edited by azizcansaythis

It is an awesome looking miniature and I may have to now add another miniature company to my list.

sigh.

Oh well it is nice to see so many nice ones out there though.

Dark Sword makes exquisite minis. I have a few of them. My only complaint is some of those tiny arms need pinning, but that doesn't seem to be an issue with this figure.

In all seriousness now. Where do I find some good information on pinning. I could likely use it in the future for some minis it looks like.

• Like 2

I'm a small-brush user, almost notorious for it in fact, but 3/0 and 5/0 are definitely too small.  0, 2/0, and a 3/0 for the tiny details would be the smallest I'd go - that's my usual set-up. 

Huh. And here I am, thinking that a 0 is too big for anything but basecoating. I use 0, 10/0, 20/0, and 30/0 for the most part.

Those brushes just wouldn't work where I live (well the 0 is fine but that's the smallest brush I use). The paint would dry on the tip before I got it to the mini.

Hmm, looks like I was misremembering, actually. Card Kingdom has occasionally hosted one-off paint classes and such, but I can't find evidence of a regular paint day like I thought there was. Never mind then! (Though it might be worth getting in contact with them and seeing if they'd be up for something like that...)

If you want to have good visibility to the small pieces, you'll probably want some kind of magnifier. I started with a $30 magnifier lamp from office depot. Something like this http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/420036/Realspace-Clamp-On-Magnifier-Task-Lamp/ but cheaper, or you could look at an Ottlite from Michaels.

For the details, having plenty of light is important. A lot of folks will recommend something with a natural light bulb as well. I use one of these with a natural light magnifier, one clamp lamp with a natural bulb and a bright CFL for the room itself while painting.

tldr: Magnification and more light are your friends

like this one from officedepot?  http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/420099/Realspace-Magnifier-Task-Lamp-17-12/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-Desk_Accessories_Dcor_and_Lighting-_-420099-IQ_PE%20&Channel=Google&mr:trackingCode=0ABF50D5-24E1-DF11-B41F-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_multichannel&mr:ad=36223934756&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=65098682276#firstTab

Hmm, looks like I was misremembering, actually. Card Kingdom has occasionally hosted one-off paint classes and such, but I can't find evidence of a regular paint day like I thought there was. Never mind then! (Though it might be worth getting in contact with them and seeing if they'd be up for something like that...)

Yep, contact them and get it started.

If you want to have good visibility to the small pieces, you'll probably want some kind of magnifier. I started with a $30 magnifier lamp from office depot. Something like this http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/420036/Realspace-Clamp-On-Magnifier-Task-Lamp/ but cheaper, or you could look at an Ottlite from Michaels.

For the details, having plenty of light is important. A lot of folks will recommend something with a natural light bulb as well. I use one of these with a natural light magnifier, one clamp lamp with a natural bulb and a bright CFL for the room itself while painting.

like this one from officedepot?  http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/420099/Realspace-Magnifier-Task-Lamp-17-12/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-Desk_Accessories_Dcor_and_Lighting-_-420099-IQ_PE%20&Channel=Google&mr:trackingCode=0ABF50D5-24E1-DF11-B41F-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_multichannel&mr:ad=36223934756&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=65098682276#firstTab

I would not recommend that one. You will probably find that you have to hold the mini to close to the magnifier and you won't have room to get your brush in there. For those that use magnifiers the optivisor (or similar knockoff) is popular as are reading glasses. For me I just take my glasses off.

If CK isn't too responsive, I can try Green Lake Games. It's a smaller space, but they were agreeable last time I tried to gather a paint day. I just couldn't get my friends to agree on a day that worked for everyone.

The one I have isn't listed on the site. It was from Staples and had the mechanical swing arm, a 3x magnifier, and a natural light bulb. But essentially, yes, like that. A lot of people complain the lamp head gets in the way with a lamp like that. I haven't had much trouble with that however. My biggest problem is already needing glasses to see normally, so I need that extra boost for fine details.

If CK isn't too responsive, I can try Green Lake Games. It's a smaller space, but they were agreeable last time I tried to gather a paint day. I just couldn't get my friends to agree on a day that worked for everyone.

The trick to setting up painting days is not to try and please everyone. Pick a day that works for you, stay consistent with it and it will grow. The group I started in Denver meets on the 2nd Saturday at one of the local stores as well as the 4th Thursday in Ft Collins. There is a group meeting every Friday in Greeley and we are working on getting a date re-established for Colorado Springs. You just have to sit down, pick a date that works for you and the store and hopefully people will start making the effort to get there.

• Like 1

I've used something similar, but with a swing arm, and found I could work with it if I was careful about how I held my brush and figure.  The brush can come in contact with the lens if you aren't careful, and some would find this terribly annoying to work with.

Later I went with a headband style magnifier and ultimately an Optivisor.  I still use both of them and sometimes the magnifying lamp instead.  For lamps, I've used incandescent and daylight CFL.  The latter aren't as hot and I prefer the whiter light.  I have an Ottlite LED lamp, too, but I've only used it for a short time.  Very cool temperature with white LED is nice, and I plan to use it more.

If your eyesight is pretty good or you use contacts, you may get away with reading glasses alone as a magnifier.  Mine is not so good and I wear glasses, so an Optivisor works better.   If your prescription permits, you can remove glasses to get better vision for close work.

I recommend against a magnifier on a stand; I find it hard to look through them without ruining my depth perception and accidentally jamming my brush into the mini. A head-mounted magnifier (from reading glasses to Optivisors) is going to serve you much better, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I also say that the visors/reading glasses are the best way to go for perception reasons. I tried a magnifying glass stand at first and hated it, I kept bumping into it with my brushes. Then I got a visor and fell in love with it, much easier to see and do those details on and it doesn't mess with your perception. Like all things though YMMV.