Sign in to follow this  
azizcansaythis

finally i got my miniature that i wanted, but...

I will vote for the readers as well. The amount of time you will spend trying to figure out where your brush tip is in relation to the mini just isn't worth it. I also like the rosemary brushes, in particular the eclipse and the mongoose but all of them are long lasting and hold a point well for a long time

I recommend against a magnifier on a stand; I find it hard to look through them without ruining my depth perception and accidentally jamming my brush into the mini. A head-mounted magnifier (from reading glasses to Optivisors) is going to serve you much better, in my opinion.

yeah, ima go w/ the Optivisors and buy it.

Edited by azizcansaythis
  • Like 1

I use a magnifier on a stand (with a built-in light). It took quite a bit of getting used to. It throws your depth perception way off. The visors are probably better.

Overall, I prefer the visor style magnifiers.  I've heard some people claim they can't use them.  I don't know if this is true, or if they simply gave up before they made the adjustment.  In my case, it didn't take long.  I can switch between the two magnifiers I have (one an Optivisor, one from Harbor Freight) without any problems.  My magnifying lamp works almost as well, but it gives me less freedom of movement, and can lead to neck cramps if I use it very long.

I use a magnifier on a stand (with a built-in light). It took quite a bit of getting used to. It throws your depth perception way off. The visors are probably better.

i changed my mind, ima go w/ this one since optivisors are kinda pricey. i found this at hobbytown usa  in tukwila, but i forgot to take a pic on the back side of it.

0b2ae837-eda4-4bd4-85fc-739a2051547c_zps

• Like 3

Overall, I prefer the visor style magnifiers.  I've heard some people claim they can't use them.  I don't know if this is true, or if they simply gave up before they made the adjustment.  In my case, it didn't take long.  I can switch between the two magnifiers I have (one an Optivisor, one from Harbor Freight) without any problems.  My magnifying lamp works almost as well, but it gives me less freedom of movement, and can lead to neck cramps if I use it very long.

how much was the harbor freight head magnifier? 

I don't see the one I bought on their website, but this one is similar in design with features mine does not have.  Mine was quite simple, no lights, no extra magnifier on the outside.  Mine does have a flip down bifocal magnifier behind the main one, however, and I think this one does, too.  Anyway, the one below is very cheap, but I didn't check the shipping.  I got mine from a local store.

http://www.harborfreight.com/magnifier-head-strap-with-lights-38896.html

If you can, try before you buy. I suspect there's a reason so many of us end up using the brand OptiVIsor. I have another brand (Magni-Focuser). My eyes go wiggy within minutes of trying to use it, and I've never found anyone else who can use it comfortably to give it to so it's not a complete waste of money. (And that's taking it to painting days as well as trying friends.)

Another alternative to look into is MagEyes, which you may be able to find local at Hobby Lobby as well as on Amazon. (Their own website - http://www.mageyes.com/) If you are a person who wears glasses and ends up needing bifocals (which kicks in a lot sooner than you might think - early 40s as a rule), this works well with them, since you'll be used to looking down slightly to use the MagEyes, and the reader part of bifocals is at the bottom of a glasses lens. (Whereas you look up slightly to use a visor style magnifier.) I have the MagEyes, and it does work, but I'm so used to using a visor that I find it hard to adapt to how you best use the MagEyes.

Also OptiVisor now sells a variant style called OptiSight that is a lighter and less expensive different style of headband. It looks similar to the MagEyes in style. It comes with three strengths of magnifying plate, and you can buy additional ones. The biggest innovation is that it comes in different colours! ;->

• Like 2