I had asked this question in the LPK5 WIP thread but hadn't heard a response so thought I would toss it out here in hopes of hearing what people had to say.  My apologies if the double post is taboo,

Anyhoo, the instructions in LPK5 don't mention how to do the hair (likely because it is covered in an earlier LPK -- which unfortunately I only have LPK1).  So, for my dwarf, I am considering making him a red head, but have a very limited paint collection.  I have LPK1 and 5 (neither of which are any help in the red head department).  I also have the first set of the MSP HD colors (1-18 I believe).  So my question is whether or not using Burning Orange as the base color with Rusty Red as the shadow and Fireball Orange as the highlight would work?  I'm not familiar with how the HD colors work and I know that they are not true triads like in the regular MSP line.  Will this come off as too orange?  Not shade well?  Any other problems? 

As always, thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds plausible. I usually work my way up from the shade color when I'm doing hair, and for red hair I like to base in a brownish red, move through a distinct red up to an orange highlight (or yellow for a "strawberry blonde" look).

• Like 2

Marsya is the mistress of crimson tresses, for good reason. This is the iconic example.

On rereading, I see you had a specific question rather than just asking about red hair in general. I blame sleep depand jet lag... I think that "triad" would be more carrot orange than truly red, but will work. For helping blend the colors together, I'd recommend starting with your midtone as the base and adding share our highlight colors to that middle rather than trying to use them separately like a triad color.

Edited by Last Knight
  • Like 5

I had asked this question in the LPK5 WIP thread but hadn't heard a response so thought I would toss it out here in hopes of hearing what people had to say.  My apologies if the double post is taboo,

Anyhoo, the instructions in LPK5 don't mention how to do the hair (likely because it is covered in an earlier LPK -- which unfortunately I only have LPK1).  So, for my dwarf, I am considering making him a red head, but have a very limited paint collection.  I have LPK1 and 5 (neither of which are any help in the red head department).  I also have the first set of the MSP HD colors (1-18 I believe).  So my question is whether or not using Burning Orange as the base color with Rusty Red as the shadow and Fireball Orange as the highlight would work?  I'm not familiar with how the HD colors work and I know that they are not true triads like in the regular MSP line.  Will this come off as too orange?  Not shade well?  Any other problems? 

I don't own very many of the HD line paint so I can only look at the color swatches on the website. I would think you could make those work, they do look very orange though. I would add some brown in either to the paint directly or as a glaze all over much like dsmiles said. However if you want to keep it a bright orange red which those colors look to suit very well. I would go just a bit darker with your shadow color and work all your colors until you are happy with the contrast. Then take your Rusty Red and use it as a glaze all over the hair area, bringing the overall tone back to a red rather than orange. I find the HD line to have a bit denser pigment so you may have issues with it thining to a glaze if you have some brush on sealer I would add it to the paint when thinning it so it retains more of its elasticity and doesn't become to chalky.

Does that make sense?

@LastKnight thank you for referencing the Red Hair Triad tutorial. Its always fun to see someone mention it maybe I should do some more tutorials.

• Like 6

One thing I like to do with red hair is lightly highlight it with metallic copper. In the sunshine our hair tends to glow, so adding the copper highlights simulates that effect. Makes it extra pretty  ^_^

That is an excellent idea. I never would have thought of that on my own.

Sounds plausible. I usually work my way up from the shade color when I'm doing hair, and for red hair I like to base in a brownish red, move through a distinct red up to an orange highlight (or yellow for a "strawberry blonde" look).

Thanks, this really makes sense!

Marsya is the mistress of crimson tresses, for good reason. This is the iconic example.

On rereading, I see you had a specific question rather than just asking about red hair in general. I blame sleep depand jet lag... I think that "triad" would be more carrot orange than truly red, but will work. For helping blend the colors together, I'd recommend starting with your midtone as the base and adding share our highlight colors to that middle rather than trying to use them separately like a triad color.

Awesome link!  I hear you about the carrot, I was a bit worried about that myself, but at least I can say . . . "Science!"

I don't own very many of the HD line paint so I can only look at the color swatches on the website. I would think you could make those work, they do look very orange though. I would add some brown in either to the paint directly or as a glaze all over much like dsmiles said. However if you want to keep it a bright orange red which those colors look to suit very well. I would go just a bit darker with your shadow color and work all your colors until you are happy with the contrast. Then take your Rusty Red and use it as a glaze all over the hair area, bringing the overall tone back to a red rather than orange. I find the HD line to have a bit denser pigment so you may have issues with it thining to a glaze if you have some brush on sealer I would add it to the paint when thinning it so it retains more of its elasticity and doesn't become to chalky.

Does that make sense?

@LastKnight thank you for referencing the Red Hair Triad tutorial. Its always fun to see someone mention it maybe I should do some more tutorials.

I think this makes sense (he says knowing he's still a complete newb :p)  Fortunately I do have a few browns from the LPKs.  I realize that the easiest thing to do to at least get a passable color would be to simply by the red hair triad, but I am trying to use what I have for now for a variety of reasons.  With a glaze, as I understand it, its consistency is even thinner than a wash?  Is that right? 

Perhaps a bit easier would be to simply try mixing in some brown to the regular color.  Would you go with a darker brown or a lighter?  My gut tells me (particularly for the shade) to go with something along the lines of the Intense Brown.  Not as blackish as the Walnut, but certainly a solid brown.  There are also the leather colors in the LPK5 which might be a little less intense than the Intense Brown (pun not actually intended :P)

For thinning, will the sealer cause any problems with trying to correct mistakes?  I ask because I know I'll make mistakes simply by virtue of the fact that I've really only worked on 4 minis previously.  Would using thinning medium work?  I can use either, so not sure which is better.

@redambrosia:  Awesome idea, I will definitely add metallic copper to my "to buy" list.  Probably won't use it on Mr. Dain simply because I am waiting to place an order at Reaper until I've built up enough funds to make a nice big purchase at once, but that is an excellent idea.

To everyone:  Thanks again for the tips, I really appreciate it.  I realize I could have always just experimented for science! but its definitely a nice feeling to at least have a general idea as to what to go with.  And if you have any more, keep 'em coming!

• Like 2

Oh, my copper paint is some cheapo craft paint I got from Michael's. I haven't gotten around to buying the nice metallic paints (except golds and silvers). I don't used them enough to buy expensive paints yet, and the craft ones are actually quite good. I can even thin them.

The difference between a glaze and a wash is in the application. Both are highly thinned, but a wash is allowed to pool in the cracks to create a shadow effect, while a glaze is applied consistently across an area to color-shift the whole thing evenly.

As for thinning, most people just use water. You can buy distilled water if you want, but in most places tap water is fine. When really thinning though, it might be useful to use thinning medium or brush-on sealer to help it stay together. As I understand it, they're essentially the same substance, so yes, either will work just fine.

• Like 2

So with a glaze, do you try to apply it evenly by only having a little bit of paint on the brush?  Just trying to picture how to keep it from pooling.  Obviously you need to be worried about how much paint is on the brush even on a wash (which I've learned the hard way ;P) but just trying to visualize how to apply it differently.

@redambrosia:  Aye, that would likely work as well.  Its just more a matter of I know I'll be buying from Reaper soon enough, and I'm enough of a penny pincher that I hate paying for shipping when there's a way to avoid it.  :p  Using what I have currently simply helps to get me painting again since there's no substitute for actual practice, and I can always make excuses why not to paint if I really wanted to.

• Like 1

So with a glaze, do you try to apply it evenly by only having a little bit of paint on the brush?  Just trying to picture how to keep it from pooling.  Obviously you need to be worried about how much paint is on the brush even on a wash (which I've learned the hard way ;P) but just trying to visualize how to apply it differently.

Yes, you use a dry brush (not a dry brush you use for dry-brushing), put some of the really thinned glaze on it, then get it so that the brush is damp (wipe it off gently, some people use like parchment paper or even coffee filters to get the wetness down to being damp) with the paint and apply it to the areas you want glazed. Glazes can take many "thin" applications to work, but they are a great way to also blend colors together for a more natural transition.

ETA: Clarification. 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd