Sign in to follow this  
scorpio616

So what is the layout in a step pyramid like? Anyone got any maps?

A WFRP game I'm running has been going pretty well, but the PCs might be running across a lost city of the lizardmen and I'd like to know if anybody knows of any good maps of the inside layouts of Central America style pyramids. I'm not having much luck finding maps of RL or RPG step pyramids so I figured I'd ask here if anyone knows of any decent ones.

It will be Tlax-City of ghosts, so while the PCs will likely run screaming into the jungle eventually, they are really good at will power tests so they may have time to get some sight seeing in. 

Edited by scorpio616

As far as I know, Mesoamerican pyramids didn't have underground chambers like Egyptian pyramids. They were solid, with a platform and a temple on top.

The closest thing to an inside would be the unusual Cinco Pisos pyramid, which is one low platform with five successively smaller temples on top of each other.

• Like 1

While I like B4:The Lost City, the maps just feel like a set of stacked dungeons. Guess I'll just try and keep some symmetry when i bust out the Dwarven forge pieces.

Thanks for the information folks.

Worldworks Games has a terrain set with a pyramid that I can hunt down a link to if you are interested in building some cool terrain for this.

This place had a tomb in the bottom where they found that famous Mayan "astronaut" sarcophagus. But as far as I know, the tomb was a very close-walled thing with little room to move in and no real large chambers as you may expect in a dungeon.

I think with the lack of actual resources to draw from, as far as ancient Mayan temples are concerned, you may as well just make something up. I'd just model it on Egyptian stuff, and maybe make the chambers smaller?

• Like 1

Real pyramids (even the Egyptian sort) were very boring on the insides. Not nearly as neat as games and movies make them out to be. I would advise doing what Hollywood does and make it up. :B):

• Like 6

The D&D Hollow World setting had some pyramids. The Kingdom of Nithia supplement has a nice looking pyramid interior, the Nightwail module has a very large pyramid with several maps and the Sons of Azca campaign supplement has a very nice looking smaller stepped pyramid with mapped levels:

ndn31g.png

Then there was Warriors of the Eternal Sun based in the Hollow World. It had a pyramid to explore, though obviously the interior had little resemblance to the real world counterparts. I found a walkthrough with the pyramid maps here (only use if you are okay with players hating you, there are a LOT of secret doors, one way doors and traps): http://lparchive.org/Warriors-of-the-Eternal-Sun/Update%2007/

26-wotes006-054.png

• Like 1

What if the pyramid itself didn't contain the rooms/dungeon but had a long low tunnel into the ground or cliff nearby which is where an underground city resides? A city of ghooooost lizaaaards!

• Like 1

The D&D Hollow World setting had some pyramids. The Kingdom of Nithia supplement has a nice looking pyramid interior, the Nightwail module has a very large pyramid with several maps and the Sons of Azca campaign supplement has a very nice looking smaller stepped pyramid with mapped levels:

ndn31g.png

Then there was Warriors of the Eternal Sun based in the Hollow World. It had a pyramid to explore, though obviously the interior had little resemblance to the real world counterparts. I found a walkthrough with the pyramid maps here (only use if you are okay with players hating you, there are a LOT of secret doors, one way doors and traps): http://lparchive.org/Warriors-of-the-Eternal-Sun/Update%2007/

26-wotes006-054.png

Green Warrior needs food badly!