ReaperCon 2014 Report

nytflyr

Another ReaperCon come and gone, and there were many changes between shows, and I think most were for the good

The hotel was nice and accommodating, it was a good size for the show with what looks like some room to grow. my only complaint about the hotel (and this is a complaint about most hotels) is that its very difficult to regulate the temperature in the rooms, set it to something comfortable when you go to bed and you end up hot and sticky a few hours later. The breakfast items were good, I managed to get into the HoF banquet and the food there was also good. considering all the swag, it was a no brainer. it was also very nice to have a place to change clothes, stash your goods and maybe take a quick nap without having to drive several miles to do so.

The con layout was good, it didn't feel cramped (some would say intimate) like that last several ReaperCons. The only quibble about the layout would be the classrooms needed a bit more light.

Speaking of classes, they were exceptional as usual, I took Lovejoy's airbrush class and Wiebe's sculpting class. (and got the Skainter ribbon... I thought the ribbons were a nice touch)

The boneyard and shop help were also amazing, thanks for all their help. I really appreciated the make a list and its shipped back to the con feature for items that needed to be cast. the only downfall is in previous years when I had time to fill I would walk over to the boneyard and dig though the bins, at least the scrap table was at the hotel so that helped a bunch there.

Lastly I liked the warlord tournament setup this year, I didnt want to spend the entire con playing warlord, in fact I just wanted to play one round and because of the new format that was possible.

overall I think moving to the hotel is a big plus and am already looking forward to next year!

• Like 9

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did less than you but enjoyed my time that I was there just as much.  The classes I took were very informative (but I was a bit hot the entire 4 hours i sat in there) and the banquets were awesome and I liked Saturday's even more because I won something in the raffle. :)  The award ceremony was great too with lots of awesome work on display and getting the recognition they all deserved. 

For a first ReaperCon I was very happy even with some of the crazy stuff happening due to the new venue away from HQ.  I am hooked for life and glad it will be easy for me to attend every year from here on out.

• Like 5

First Reapercon for myself as well. I got some great info from the classes. I went to both banquets and enjoyed them even without winning any raffle prizes. And Corporea shared her chocolate pie recipe with me.

I did better than I expected in the paint contest, and all of the judges I talked with were friendly and very helpful with advice for how to improve on my work. Even the judges from other divisions were very helpful and reviewed my work for pointers. Every one of them to a "T" was friendly and helpful. In the artist's area, I was able to talk with several of the artists for far longer than I would have expected. You know these are friendly folks who are happy to talk with us when they're inviting you to pull up a chair and chat. Special thanks to Aaron Lovejoy, Gene Van Horne and Izzy Collier for their advice, tips, stories and time.

As a new con goer, the one thing I did not like was the scheduling of classes vs games. It felt like a lot the time, morning and afternoon each, it was down to a choice of taking a class, or playing one of the games. This was because the classes started on the even hours and a lot of games started on the odd, with most scheduled for two hours. Maybe there was wisdom there in not having everyone rush all over the hotel at the two hour mark. Maybe I'm just feeling there was so much more to do than I had the chance to get to. "Always leave 'em wanting more."

All together I had a great time, and I'm really looking forward to next year.

• Like 6

Oh my, oh my. I *adore* visions of future past. "Popular Science" magazines, pulps, B-movies -- wonderful, wonderful outdated and obsolete visions of the future.

I have an anthology of late Victorian pre-radio sci fi that includes a story about communication with Mars with a massive *telegraph* made by winding copper cables around an iron mountain. That's steampunk era and might be a little early.

I've also been enjoying the increasingly fusty-looking 'eighties future of Shadowrun and early cyberpunk. That might be a little late.

So my guess would be the silver jumpsuits and capes and big hair and marvelous devices of the vision of the future circa. 1925 - 1965.

• Like 4

Oh my, oh my. I *adore* visions of future past. "Popular Science" magazines, pulps, B-movies -- wonderful, wonderful outdated and obsolete visions of the future.

I have an anthology of late Victorian pre-radio sci fi that includes a story about communication with Mars with a massive *telegraph* made by winding copper cables around an iron mountain. That's steampunk era and might be a little early.

I've also been enjoying the increasingly fusty-looking 'eighties future of Shadowrun and early cyberpunk. That might be a little late.

So my guess would be the silver jumpsuits and capes and big hair and marvelous devices of the vision of the future circa. 1925 - 1965.

...so.. any hopes we might encounter Pingo at next year's Reapercon?
  • Like 4