ReaperCon 2014 Report

nytflyr

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my, oh my. I *adore* visions of future past. "Popular Science" magazines, pulps, B-movies -- wonderful, wonderful outdated and obsolete visions of the future.

I have an anthology of late Victorian pre-radio sci fi that includes a story about communication with Mars with a massive *telegraph* made by winding copper cables around an iron mountain. That's steampunk era and might be a little early.

I've also been enjoying the increasingly fusty-looking 'eighties future of Shadowrun and early cyberpunk. That might be a little late.

So my guess would be the silver jumpsuits and capes and big hair and marvelous devices of the vision of the future circa. 1925 - 1965.

...so.. any hopes we might encounter Pingo at next year's Reapercon?

We ... might. We just might.

The logistics might be a little complex, but I've consulted with the gods* and it might indeed be a doable thing.

It would certainly be wonderful to meet people I've become online friends with. And to see all those tiny artworks in person.

So ... yes, maybe.

*Hermes, god of roads, Apollo, god of parking spaces, and Zeus, god of good hotels.

• Like 7

Already got most of the costume. And Berni wants to jump in there for next year, too. I'll finally have my two great loves in the same place on the same weekend, I hope.

Need to dig out my bandolier and my zap guns...

• Like 7

Retro sci-fi also brings up the opportunity for some cool Chronoscope releases in that theme (plus space explorer Sophie). A couple months ago I'd put a request in the Chronoscope 'want' thread for pulp/retro scifi models, perhaps next year's theme will see this eventuate.

Edited by ctsteel
  • Like 3

*Hermes, god of roads, Apollo, god of parking spaces, and Zeus, god of good hotels.

So, when did they become gods of all that? Hermes I understand, being a messenger and all. But I never pictured Zeus as the god of good hotel rooms. Maybe Hestia, being home-away-from-home, and all. Is Apollo because he drives a chariot? ::o:

Also, does anyone have a picture of the save the date card you can post on the boards? I'd love to see it ^_^

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 3

Hmmm, I'll have to see if there's an appropriate Fiasco Playset for the new theme, and if not, I have some research and writing it do.

Mmmmmm...Monty Python style space soap operas...

That may be just a bit too silly. ;)

So, when did they become gods of all that? Hermes I understand, being a messenger and all. But I never pictured Zeus as the god of good hotel rooms. Maybe Hestia, being home-away-from-home, and all. Is Apollo because he drives a chariot? ::o:
I'm ... not sure where I ran across the information. Apollo is the god of archery and hitting targets, and I think thay may be where parking spaces come from. And one of Zeus' primary roles is as the god of guests and hosts, very important to travellers in ancient Greece.

EDIT: There may have also been something about Hermes being the god of roads and travelling, while Apollo was the god of the *ends* of roads and the journey's end.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 2