2014 Feedback

Hymn

...and why DIDN'T the auction include "A Date With ReaperBryan?"  :wub:

Bryan was saying that he was going to put in a certificate to BE ReaperBryan for 4-6 hours to start immediately after the auction.  Just in time to be responsible for helping pack up.   :devil:

I guess that certificate got lost on its way to the auction table.   :;):

Ron

• Like 9

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another possibility might be having other things one can do with Reaperbucks.  Maybe using them for some of the games, or else small tidbits one can throw them in on.  That'd help keep the inflation down.

Or what about some conversion to Boneyard ounces? Something like 250 bucks to the ounce.

• Like 1

Reaperbucks wont really ever be able to be converted into hard currency like that. The auction items were donated so essentially there is no hard value for them thus it is easier to use the Reaperbucks for them. If you convert them into boneyard ounces it gives them a monetary value and defeats their purpose.

• Like 5

Reaperbucks wont really ever be able to be converted into hard currency like that. The auction items were donated so essentially there is no hard value for them thus it is easier to use the Reaperbucks for them. If you convert them into boneyard ounces it gives them a monetary value and defeats their purpose.

This is absolutely true!

The best "alternative" use I've seen for ReaperBucks so far was for in game bonuses. GMChris ran a Star Wars game two years ago that allowed you to buy extra, black market goods for your character with ReaperBucks before entering into the module. I thought it was brilliant, and knowing that I would not have enough bucks to be competitive in the auction, I was more than happy to throw in for some upgrades.

In this theme, I would love to see ReaperBucks used as a sort of currency for bonuses, advantages, or even special favors in games and activities around the con.

• Like 6

Understood.

The best "alternative" use I've seen for ReaperBucks so far was for in game bonuses. GMChris ran a Star Wars game two years ago that allowed you to buy extra, black market goods for your character with ReaperBucks before entering into the module. I thought it was brilliant, and knowing that I would not have enough bucks to be competitive in the auction, I was more than happy to throw in for some upgrades.

In this theme, I would love to see ReaperBucks used as a sort of currency for bonuses, advantages, or even special favors in games and activities around the con.

I like this for sure. Good idea.

• Like 2

I think that Reapercon was FANTASTIC.  Sure, there were a few hiccups.  However, with this being the first year with everything away from factory, you have to expect some surprises.

Here is what I loved:

- the hotel was an excellent venue.  I loved the ability to go to my room anytime I had a few minutes to spare.  The game area was bright and far enough out of the way that I didn't worry about leaving my table set up the whole time.  The hotel staff were very friendly and the amenities were very good for the price.

- The onsite Reaper store did a fantastic job selling us stuff.  We ordered items that weren't on the racks and had them delivered to us in less than a day.  Everything went great (at least from a consumer point of view).

- I thought that the painting/artist area was fantastic.  Lots of space and natural lighting.  It was easy to interact with people and paint even if you forgot to bring a light source.

- As always, the artists outdid themselves with making themselves accessible and sharing their knowledge.  I can't stress too much how this interaction makes ReaperCon my favorite convention of the year.

Here are a couple of things that may need a bit of tweeking for next year:

- The classrooms were a little cramped and the lighting a bit dim.

- The seminars were a lot of fun but could use a little more thought put into the format.  I liked the free flowing mood and participation but think that maybe a bit more structure could help bang these out of the park.

- For the games, perhaps the Reaperbucks could be only given out at the tables instead of part of our registration package.  We had a great time with running our games but found that we had a lot of no shows from people who signed up.  I would hate to think that people were signing up just for the Reaperbucks but, if they were only handed out at the games, this would put any possibility of this happening to rest.

- For people running games, if you could make up a little sign next year letting people know what game is where and when they are starting, it would solve a lot of confusion.  One of the biggest challenges was finding out which table had which game.  I know that the original plan was to have numbers on them but this got a little mixed up in the execution.

Overall, I think the positive outweighed the little challenges that popped up.  My only hope is that the convention doesn't get too big where it loses it's charm.  I also want everyone to experience ReaperCon for what it is to me - a meeting of like minded people who treat each other like they are family.

• Like 8

- For the games, perhaps the Reaperbucks could be only given out at the tables instead of part of our registration package.  We had a great time with running our games but found that we had a lot of no shows from people who signed up.  I would hate to think that people were signing up just for the Reaperbucks but, if they were only handed out at the games, this would put any possibility of this happening to rest.

I don't think this would help for the squatter issues others were having. It might even make squatting a necessity imo. We signed up for several games and only did a handful because by the time we got to the table (5 mins early btw) the table was packed and it's hard to be "those people" that show up "late" even if you are early. Hell we got to your table right on time and thankfully you reserved the last two for us, or at least we were lucky enough to have them available. Btw, Doc Bedlam's lumberjack grabbing my shrieking wife and tossing her into the lumber mill is still a highlight for us.

• Like 4

I don't think this would help for the squatter issues others were having. It might even make squatting a necessity imo. We signed up for several games and only did a handful because by the time we got to the table (5 mins early btw) the table was packed and it's hard to be "those people" that show up "late" even if you are early. Hell we got to your table right on time and thankfully you reserved the last two for us, or at least we were lucky enough to have them available. Btw, Doc Bedlam's lumberjack grabbing my shrieking wife and tossing her into the lumber mill is still a highlight for us.

I think if there is going to be a pre-registration for games, then those who register need to receive a ticket or receipt that confirms that they are in the game. Game masters then need to check tickets before they start and confirm that everyone who has a ticket is in the game. There, of course, would be a cutoff, say 5 minutes after the hour to then allow squatters to join in. This is pretty much how it's done at GenCon and it seems to work out pretty well for them.

That said, and I may be repeating myself, I had no one come up to my game and declare that they were pre-registered. I honestly don't know if anyone had a reserved slot at my table, but I know all of my spots on the schedule were listed as "unavailable." If people pre-registered, I didn't know anything about it.

• Like 2