Sign in to follow this  
kacey3

Tell Me About your Fiasco

As many of you may know by now, I'm the "Fiasco Master" of ReaperCon and I want to humbly thank all of my many players for sitting down at a table and playing their hands at Fiasco. There were so many great stories woven at those tables, I would love it if the players would regale us with their recolections of their game sessions.

As the one who simply brings the books and materials and sort of just guides players though the very light rules of the game, I enjoy sitting back and listening to the radio dramas that emminate out of the players' imaginations. My only regret is at the "Fiasco After Dark" session is that I was running from table to table and never really got the full lowdown on all three tables. I'd love to know how that office building caught on fire, or how Pickle ended up in jail, or why the lovely barmaid was buried in the mines under the town, or if those kids ever really did get their bicycles.

So please, take a time to share your stories and show people how crazy and creative Fiasco can be!

• Like 6

I played my first game this weekend. Fantastic! My favorite part was trying to create scenes that dovetailed with the end scene we had previously crafted. We had to make sure Behia got shot AND the money.

• Like 1

I played my first game this weekend. Fantastic! My favorite part was trying to create scenes that dovetailed with the end scene we had previously crafted. We had to make sure Behia got shot AND the money.

That will likely be one of my favorite cinematic scenes for a very long time, and an example of how you can not only play with time, but also craft a gorgeous sequence of scenes regardless of how silly the story gets.

I heard a lot of great tales from the Fiasco tables, but I wasn't one of the players. Next year, I will correct that mistake!

• Like 1

I heard a lot of great tales from the Fiasco tables, but I wasn't one of the players. Next year, I will correct that mistake!

We'd be glad to have you. And as I say every year, I can pretty much set up a game on demand. You just need to bring yourself and three other people. If we learned anything this year, we can handle multiple simultaneous Fiascos with very little additional effort.

The "Fiasco After Dark"'s were some of my favorite moments of the con. As far as the Office Building catching on fire...well you can thank Bryan for that one! Our story pretty much spiraled out of control on the tilt (mostly his fault) pretty quickly. I'm not sure I can post about the story because I was forewarned that what happens at the con stays at the con. I would love to give a retelling of our story for everyone to see it and use it as an example but I would need his blessings as it is more adult oriented and may be moderated....Although, if I had one thing to say about our story, it's that Dr. Bedlam likes big butts and he cannot lie...

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 2

I know you were there for this one, kacey3, but ReaperBryan missed out on the mystery of the London Slasher.  I loved how we were ALL suspected of being the Slasher at least once over the course of the game--and how we were all just bumbling around trying to make one crime or another happen.  A bloody magnificent good time! 

• Like 1

I know you were there for this one, kacey3, but ReaperBryan missed out on the mystery of the London Slasher.  I loved how we were ALL suspected of being the Slasher at least once over the course of the game--and how we were all just bumbling around trying to make one crime or another happen.  A bloody magnificent good time!

For the one game that I actually got to sit in on, this was a fantastic one. Three great players sitting at the table with me and an awesome story to tell!

• Like 2

The game took me a little to get my head around, but once everyone's tires bit the gravel, it was off and speeding down the road, hot on the heels of crazy with psycho in its sights, to utterly mangle some metaphors. It was great fun.

And I had to harass Miss Melons to make up for rescuing her from the zombies earlier. Balance in all things, after all. Although I was greatly surprised to discover that Howard (The Rat) was such a karma houdini. Even I thought he deserved a far worse end than he got!

• Like 4

The game took me a little to get my head around, but once everyone's tires bit the gravel, it was off and speeding down the road, hot on the heels of crazy with psycho in its sights, to utterly mangle some metaphors. It was great fun.

And I had to harass Miss Melons to make up for rescuing her from the zombies earlier. Balance in all things, after all. Although I was greatly surprised to discover that Howard (The Rat) was such a karma houdini. Even I thought he deserved a far worse end than he got!

It sounds to me that I'm going to have to get the whole story from ReaperBryan.
  • Like 3

Fiasco…

Cast of Characters:

Jack – aka Tim or Shadowraven (forum handle)

Albert – aka Andrew (Shadowraven’s Brother)

Mary – “Warlord Queen of the Con† Erin (from Virginia), do not know forum name

William – Terry or Bonwirn (forum handle)

The following story is being retold in chronological order.  However, the events of the evening did not occur in this order, in fact, they didn’t occur in any rational order at all.  It was more of a … uhm, well, you will just have to play a game or two of Fiasco to really understand.

William and Jack are trying to cook up a get rich quick scheme.  They have hit upon a grand plan.  Kids are always riding bicycles in the streets, right?  So why don’t we have the kids race and take bets on them?  All we would need is a few bicycles to get us started.  Of course, there are problems with any plan.  These problems, however, not the ordinary run of the mill problems.  It seems Jack and William are sitting in jail from their last get rich quick scheme.  Officer Angus McBreckinridge has overheard the conversation and really doesn’t like Jack.  Officer Angus gets Jack in more trouble so that he gets to spend another six months in jail.

William, on the other hand, gets out and starts working for the local hospital as IT support.  He has “security screened†Mary’s email to know that she is having a garage sale and is selling her children’s bicycles.  William approaches Mary, and to not freak her out, geekily explains how he knows she is selling bicycles.  This really creeps out Mary, who is having a really tough day.  One of her patients, Angus McBreckinridge, has a very aggressive form of cancer, and is not expected to see tomorrow.  On her rounds, she overhears that Angus wants to change his will.  His favorite nephew Albert is in the room and Angus is explaining just how he wants the will to be changed. 

Mary comes into the room to check on old Angus, and Albert takes the opportunity to slip out for a cup of coffee.  While he is gone, dear Angus passes away.  Mary is now even more upset.  Could her day get any worse?  Mary is trying to let Albert know that she has overheard Angus’ dying request to change his will without breaking any hospital rules for patient confidentiality.  As they are talking, Jack barges into the room, knocking a defibrillator cart into Albert and knocking him down.  Mary tries to find out why Jack is in the room, since only police officers and relatives have been to see him.  Jack gets Mary to believe that he is an old police buddy of Angus.  Jack can’t let anyone know that he was at the hospital to get revenge on Angus.  Albert has recovered and recognizes Jack from the AA meetings they both attend.  They leave the room to share a cup of coffee.  Jack tries to get Albert to have a beer with him, but since Albert has been going to AA rather religiously, he has taken up a different vice.

The next day, Mary runs into Jack on the street.  Still believing Jack is a cop, Mary asks him to speak to a co-worker, William, who she believes illegally read her email and tried to by some bicycles from her.  William and bicycles rings a bell with Jack, who agrees to help Mary.  Jack heads over to William’s place and finds him in the garage fixing bicycles.  He is very upset that William has started working “their†get rich quick scheme without him.  Jack has been busting it trying to get the races started, but it is hard to run the races, fix the bicycles, and recruit kids for more races.  William agrees to help out, but, as it turns out, doesn’t really help at all.

By the end of the week, Mary has thought it over and just wants the bicycles gone.  She sees Albert at a local coffee shop and believes she can solve both her problem and his.  She talks with Albert and lets him know that she overheard Angus’s last words and agrees to go see the lawyer with him.  But first, she asks if Albert has a larger car, as her small car won’t fit all the bicycles and she really only wants to make one trip to Williams.  Albert agrees to help her transport the bicycles.

William calls Jack to ask for help today, as he has several races.  William tells Jack to bugger off, as he’s busy.  William implies that he is sharing 50% of the profits but Jack is not doing 50% of the work, and that if Jack isn’t going to start helping more, Jack is going to be getting less and less money.  Now, Jack is really mad and decides to confront William.

Jack finds William in a neighborhood near his house, running races and taking bets from the parents.  Jack starts to argue with William, but William asks Jack to step into the ally so the parents and kids don’t see them arguing.  They argue about money and splitting the profits.  Jack threatens to beat up William if William tries to cut him out of the scheme.  William realizes that Jack is dead weight, and chooses to knife him right there in the alley (not shooting him, because all the kids would come running).

As he is walking out of the ally, Mary and Albert drive by and see him.  They turn the car around and pull into the ally to drop off the bicycles.  Mary and Albert discover Jack’s body in the back of the ally.  They call the police, who questions all the people in the area, including William.  Now, William still has blood on his hands and passes it off from several cuts on his hands from repairing the bicycles.

The next day, Albert goes to the lawyer’s office to inform the lawyer of the change in the will.  Mary is sitting on the couch, which confuses Albert a bit.  When Albert tries to inform the lawyer of Angus’s request, and the fact the he has a witness, the lawyer tells Albert that he is currently going to inherit over one million dollars, while the rest of the family, including some illegitimate children, won’t inherit anything.  In fact, one of those illegitimate children is out in the lobby.  Albert goes out to tell her that he won’t be needing her, and that she is really his half sister…

That’s all that I remember from that game.  If you participated, and remember it differently, please post and I will edit.

Of course, you could always play a game or three of Fiasco and put your own twist on the story...

• Like 1

I thought everything was going fine until Pickle was arrested and when I drunk drove to go get him out of jail I kind of adopted Paul, his prison cellmate, and disowned Pickle.

Then when I had to fix the financial reports I passed the buck to Pickle, who passed the Buck to MissMelon's character, who pawned the work off onto the already-fired Todd Love (but she didm;t know Todd Love had been fired, you see) so she could dump Todd for Paul, who tossed Pickle aside like an old overcoat and took Miss M to Alaska (Which is an island south of California on the maps, right?).

Todd then returned to the building to kill Paul for Pickle, who was angry that he had been dumped by his father, and ended up blowing up the building himself, catching Howard on the 10th floor, fighting for dear life, where he finally escaped just as things looked bleakest.

For Ranjit (me), it ended very poorly.  When the building burned down, I lost my work visa and returned to India(na) where I had now become an untouchable caste and worked forever as a beggar.  Miss M and Paul lived happily ever after in Alaska, although it was colder than they thought a tropical island should be, and Howard... moved on, really.