Sign in to follow this  
kacey3

Tell Me About your Fiasco

The "Fiasco After Dark"'s were some of my favorite moments of the con. As far as the Office Building catching on fire...well you can thank Bryan for that one! 

Not Me!  I may have started the scene with those words, but it turns out Todd Love did it with a bomb Pickle gave him!  

Ranjit was innocent, and yet he got deported anyway!!

Didn't Howard hire Pickle to do his books for the business he started with his severance pay as well...mostly for the promise of new crayons to do them in?

• Like 3

I'll do my best to recall this, but the memory is getting fuzzy...absolutely nothing to do with the Shinerbock...The other participants in game should feel free to jump in and correct any errors or forgotten bits.

Bill Kincaid rode into town five years later after a one time fling had found and married another man. He had never intended to return to this west Texas boom town but he had tracked the man who killed his brother three years ago to his hometown. He went to the hotel to get a room and a drink and to his surprise found Daphne (played by Corporea) asking him what he wanted to drink. After an uncomfortable exchange in which he found that the she had married the man she dumped Bill for, then divorced him. He asked if she knew anything about a "Mad Dog" (can't remember the character's full name,  a little help here Jeff since it was your character) and that he was lookin' for him 'cause he killed his brother. She told him that a man by that name worked for her ex husband but didn't go by Mad Dog. Somewhat hopeful on both lines of inquiry he left to see what he could find out about the whereabouts of Mad Dog.

After speaking with Bill, Daphne was asked by the owner of the hotel/saloon/gamblin' hall, and her ex-husband (again who's character's name escapes me, I believe it was HerzogBrian playing the role IIRC), who she was talking to. She gave him the short version and he starts formulatin' a scheme to see if there's a reward on this Mad Dog character. She goes to see the Marshall to see if there's a reward. Turns out the old Marshal did eventually find a telegram with the reward information which she kept for herself in a scheme to try to get back against the town.

While Daphne was off visiting the Marshal, the hotel owner was meeting with Mad Dog (though he didnt' know him by that name) who owed him money and did "odd jobs" for him to pay off the gambling debt. They start hatchin' a scheme to take out this Mad Dog character and Bill, get the reward, and dump Bill into the mine the hotel owner also owned as part of a faile joint venture between him and Daphne during their betrothed years (and was apparently only good for dumping bodies into, stashing money, and holding kidnapping victims). During the meeting they hatch this scheme and also arrange for Mad Dog to pay off his debt by being the house card shark.

After that conversation, Mad Dog looked around the room and found a mark. Some guy he'd never seen before leaning up against the wall trying to look nondescript while observing the whole room. He talked Bill into a game of five card stud. Fencing with words and bets while playing Mad Dog denied ever going by that name or ever having been in Nebraska, let alone killed Bill's brother. Bill however was convinced.

The next day, Bill was out in the town and came across Daphne. He asked how her ex could have such a low down dirty scoundrel working for him and stated he was going to kill him. I don't really remember much else from this exchange or the one between Daphne and her ex. (It was about that time that Corporea had to leave the table and go to bed) The ex's next scene was him with Mad Dog in the mine. He had one more job for Mad Dog to do and sent him back into town to kill Bill Kincaid.

Just outside of town Bill met Mad Dog on the road with his pistol drawn. Obviously shakey and uncertain how to proceed Mad Dog played along and moved off to the side of the road, distracting Bill by keeping him talking. Bill couldn't be dissuaded that Mad Dog had killed his brother, but was inexperienced at being a highwayman and wasn't really a cold-blooded killer. While talking Mad Dog slipped his Derringer out of his sleeve and shot Bill, who fired wide and high, in the shoulder. Bill, in a fair amount of pain ran into town. Mad Dog picked up Bill's pistol and ran off into the night.

Bill went to the Marshal's office and tried to get the Marshal to open the door. The Marshal, being old and somewhat hard of hearing, was slow to react and despite Bill's calls to let him in and to form a posse to get Mad Dog didn't get to the door in time. Bill passed out from blood loss before the Marshal got to the door. (Accompanied by me stopping talking in mid sentence, going stiff, and falling out of my chair. Bryan apparently thought me falling out of a chair was hilarious.)

The ex had a serving girl go get Bill and take him to his room. The ex went to get the Doc out of one of his girls' rooms. Doc cleaned out the wound and stabilized Bill, things were looking good for him continued ability to breath, so the Doc left and the girl watching over Bill. The ex went into the room and told the girl to go take a break, and smothered Bill with a pillow.

Mad Dog, thinking Bill was going to come after him figured that if he kidnapped Daphne it would give him some leverage with Bill. So he found her, bound and gagged her, and took her to the mine where he was planning to make good his escape. What he didn't know was that she had worked herself loose, took Bill's pistol and escaped while he was stuck in a hole to big for the ex to fit through trying to retrieve his cache of money. By the time he got loose, she was gone.

This is where my memory fails on the specifics. My next scen was Bill being lowered into a pauper's grave (the ex took all his money out of the room) with only the Preacher and the grave digger in attendance. After that the climax was the Ex and Mad Dog staring down in the mine. Convinced he wasn't going to get out alive, Mad Dog decided his only chance was to cause a cave in and take the ex down with him. He lit a match and dropped it into a crate of dynamite and ran like heck to a branch cave. The ex was buried in rubble and Mad Dog was trapped. Bill's final scene was a flashback to bits of his life with his brother, his (short) time with Daphne (all happy scenes) then fades to the cross over his grave. The ex clawed his way out of the rubble of the explosion, without the hotel and now this worthless hole. Switch to pitch black. Mad Dog lights a match. We see a pile of burnt matches and that the box is empty. The match goes out.

Edit: Daphne was really the only one who got out of the whole ordeal ahead as the new proprietor of the hotel, and her player wasn't even there.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 2

Isn't it amazing how with no rules at all our characters die horrible tragic deaths, but in most RPGs we fight like crazy to keep every single HP we can?

That's a large part in why I gave up on RPGs and switched pretty much exclusively to wargaming. The groups I were in in became so focused on tactics and the fights that I figured it would be more intellectually honest to just wargame. I was not having fun because the story got sidetracked everytime somebody started a fight. I have found that because the wargame doesn't try to tell a story I can create my own to follow the events that occur during a game. I try to remember to post those on my blog.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 2

Isn't it amazing how with no rules at all our characters die horrible tragic deaths, but in most RPGs we fight like crazy to keep every single HP we can?

I have found that because the wargame doesn't try to tell a story I can create my own to follow the events that occur during a game. I try to remember to post those on my blog.

I find that no matter what game I'm playing, I tend to make characters and play out a story in my head.

• Like 3