I'm looking for a Sci-Fi game to get into, but want to avoid GW for the time being. Cost is not a factor, as I value game mechanics and sculpt quality far more. But the single biggest criterion is that the theme shouldn't be mixed (e.g. sci-fi cowboys) - I'm looking for something more traditional. Does anyone know of a game that fits these criteria?

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"You call that 'painted?'"   "Way to roll a one, loser!"   "What's the matter, baby stuck in rough terrain?"   "The player isn't your real dad."

Have you looked at Infinity by Corvus Belli?  It's my fave!    Right now I'm fighting off Matic's Deadzone impules, I really like the Reb faction.

keep your eyes pealed for the the CAV kickstarter this summer!  

I've just picked up Infinity. I'm still going through the rules, haven't played yet, but so far I like what I've seen. The overall theme is nothing particularly new: several human factions fighting for dominance when the huge alien armada comes knocking at the door. There are several human factions, some are kind of standard with some space-marine lookalike (religious guys with heavy armor) other are more unique (like golden age Islam in space or Greek mythology heroes recreated by a superintelligent AI). Also, one of the two alien factions strongly reminds me of the coventant from HALO, if that's your coup of tea.

But they just announced a new edition for later this year, so you may want to wait few months before committing to it.

EDIT: :ph34r:

Edited by briggart
  • Like 2

As the maintainer of the Victorian Science Fiction/Steampunk version of FUBAR, I gotta shill:

http://www.forgeofwar.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15

15-30 figures per side, machines of war optional but highly encouraged.  I made a British force using the Chronoscope Brits, Brood of Panayak, and Jeeves.

• Like 1

I forgot Mercs Too. I may be picking up a copy soon*...

MERCS is awesome if you like your scifi hard and your game more tactics based. You can download everything that you need to test the game from www.mercsminis.com (scroll down that page to find the rules, data cards, etc.) and proxy your minis.  If you like it enough to buy the rulebook for the advanced rules and fluff, hold off for a few months. They're releasing a new book and cards for v2.0 sometime this summer. 

Also, there's no way that I would call BT a skirmish game. Yes, you only play it w/a few models per side, but it is not a fast playing game like what most people would consider "skirmish".  

Edited by Chrome
  • Like 1

I have to put in a plug for Gruntz if you want a great deal of flexibility and Tomorrow's War if you like a hard near future scifi. Bit of a learning curve for TW but rewards good tactics over uber armies.

Tomorrow's War is more of a platoon level game. You can do skirmish with it, but it's best at platoon/light company from what I can gather. I have it, but couldn't get my kids' heads to wrap around the reaction mechanic.

I'm also working on something, will probably make it available when it's done. More to follow on this.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ced1106
      I backed their previous Halfling Yeoman riding chickens 😁 so figured I'd give them a shoutout!

TAG - Gobudai, Riders of the Shimmering Horde.  28mm Old School Goblin Warg rider miniatures. Metal.

"Pledges at £85, and over will be upgraded to our, FREE WORLDWIDE shipping service."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chickstaterii/tag-gobudai-riders-of-the-shimmering-horde

• By Gadgetman!
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662635043/to-the-mummys-tomb-a-halfling-expedition/description

Story
      After the estate of one Fomo Barrowblight (who many moons ago, and with heavily laden bags, had said he was just off for a morning walk, never to return) was sold at auction, there came to light a strange scroll that appeared to be a map of the final resting place of a lost tribe of halflings.  These cousins lived down in the scorching Southlands, amidst endless dunes that had buried whole cities and civilisations.
      The newly elected (and so still very enthusiastic) Halfling Town Council had organised an expedition to make contact with their fellow halflings, with the aim of swapping some stories and recipes, and who knows, perhaps even coming back with some interesting new cakes.
      And, after many great perils and travails, the expedition found itself in a mysterious location known as 'The Valley of the Things'.  Here, recipes in strange hieroglyphs were marked on tomb walls,  guarded jealously by High Priests and long mummified pastry chefs.  
      The expedition takes time to assuage the fears of the High Priests that they are here to steal the sacred recipes and make formal diplomatic relations.  But Fomo Barrowblight and another mysterious figure seem intent on stealing the recipe to the sacred pie and have already gleaned some of the ingredients...
      To the Mummy's Tomb!
      Introducing a series of  Eight Fantasy Miniatures in 28mm scale from a halfling expedition to the burial grounds of their cousins, in the desert southlands. 
        Halfling Town Council Five
      The latest elected Halfling Town Council, has been responsible for launching the expedition to the distant Southlands, as always, it is made up of eight different townsfolk from all walks of life.

I've already pledged for the whole set, why haven't you?

• By Gadgetman!
      A huge 2 for 1 KS!  
      (You get BOTH Humans and Halflings in one project! )
      Bloody Peasants! by Midlam Miniatures — Kickstarter

Story
      "Oh no!  It's an armed agrarian uprising!"
      Toiling in the fields for their feudal overlords, the peasants are equally quick to turn their tools to defending their lands from monstrous invaders or, when pressed to the limit, revolting and overturning cruel and greedy landowners.
      Bloody Peasants!
      A selection of human and halfling farmers in 28mm scale miniatures for all of your fantasy games.
      You can choose from humans, halflings or both!
      The Humans
      A familiar sight in the villages surrounding Midlam.
      The Halflings
      A smaller folk, doing the same jobs as the longshanks.

It's a Midlam project, so you know what that means;
      Maybe a stretch goal, very possibly an early fulfillment, and absolutely no nonsense. 

• By Mckenna35
      Finished a couple more gang members for Warlord Games Judge Dredd game.  Painted with reaper and Vallejo.  In theory they'll get used for demos so I didn't want to burn a lot f time on the bases.  These were some of their first figures in their new resin.  It's kind of like Bones I as far as material goes.  Also think they some of their early  ones in 3d modelling as the "engraving" is almost too light.  makes it hard to pick out details and you've got to be careful not to apply too heavy a coat or you'll fill in lines pretty easily.

• By Cicciopiu
      I leave this here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ragnarokminiatures/ragnarok-white-metal-28mm-norse-fantasy-miniatures/description

Looking quite good! I'm backing for the character set.
  • Who's Online   18 Members, 2 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)