• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"You call that 'painted?'"   "Way to roll a one, loser!"   "What's the matter, baby stuck in rough terrain?"   "The player isn't your real dad."

Have you looked at Infinity by Corvus Belli?  It's my fave!    Right now I'm fighting off Matic's Deadzone impules, I really like the Reb faction.

keep your eyes pealed for the the CAV kickstarter this summer!  

Infinity is really quite a good game.  As has been mentioned, 3rd edition has been announced for later this year.  However, I don't think they're going to abandon any faction.  Some minis are going to get resculpted, but as far as I know, they're not going to become invalidated.  The rules can be downloaded for free from the Corvus Belli site.  According to a recent interview with Corvus Belli, the only book that is going to be changed is the core; the expansion books will still be fine.  They're also planning to retranslate the core rules -- Corvus Belli is a Spanish company; the rules' native language is Spanish.

The stuff for infinity is gorgeous, but I have never actually played the game. But people who have tried it seem excited.

I really wish this game has minis to match each unit and that everything translated better from Spanish. 

The language thing reminds me of the batman miniature game, which is also translated from Spanish. I don't know if they corrected this, but during the beta, one of the special abilities had been translated into "insensitive". I always liked to imagine the model unintentionally hurting the feelings of the other models.

• Like 1

The language thing reminds me of the batman miniature game, which is also translated from Spanish. I don't know if they corrected this, but during the beta, one of the special abilities had been translated into "insensitive". I always liked to imagine the model unintentionally hurting the feelings of the other models.

Haha! Are you talking about the game by Knight Models?

Haha! Are you talking about the game by Knight Models?

Yes, that's the one.

• Like 1

The translation issues are a big driver to revise the Infinity core book. About 80 to 90 percent of the FAQ on the Wiki is from the core.

As far as the models go there is a very liberal proxie policy for models that have not been manufactured, even in official tournament play. The models I really wanted I've just converted.

Hey Hymn, if you want to come by and get in a demo we play about once a month over in Plano. :D

Edited by Lithian

"You call that 'painted?'"

"Way to roll a one, loser!"

"What's the matter, baby stuck in rough terrain?"

"The player isn't your real dad."

• Like 4

Played a bit of Infinity last summer before RL threw a monkey wrench into my gaming life.

The balance is pretty good, which is always a plus in a game. It's less about list-building than it is about using the pieces you bring to the table. *Aas their forum meme, "It's not your List, It's You!!!" Special Weapons Costs keep the heavy hitters to a reasonable level at any points size. My only real complaint about the game is the ludicrous amount of terrain you need to play a proper match. If your LGS has plenty available, no problem, but if your looking for a beer-n-pretzels-play-at-home game, you'll spend far more time making terrain than painting minis. Another thing is the rules for ARO can be tricky to get right the first couple of games. We went almost ten games before we got confirmation we were doing it wrong. D'oh!

Speaking of minis, they tend to be excellent, if not a bit fiddly to put together. 

Introductory price is reasonable. My Yu-Jing starter ran ~$45, and $100 got me enough minis to play 300 point games with some variety; caveat: some of those were "elite" minis, so YMMV here. If you need to build terrain, you can figure another $50 plus time to start-up costs.

A couple quick tips on terrain building on the cheap:

_ Bottle caps. If you drink bottled drinks, save the caps and glue them together. Instant barrels/equipment lockers/whatever. Makes good cover that can be placed almost anywhere.

_ Balsa wood makes a good building material for buildings, relatively inexpensive and somewhat easy to find.

_ Try to make a plan for modular terrain. Make buildings by the floor, make them stackable, fom a one-story builings to skyscrapers, based of the same design. Make stairways that can be placed next to lower buildings for access. 8"x10" is a good basic size for buildings, althouh 12"x16" works for larger stuff.  

• Like 1