what was your favorite part?

Sergeant_Crunch

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The paint is non-toxic for a reason.

With all due respect to Reaper, which is doing the best it can with what's available to everyone, "non-toxic" is a term with no legally defined meaning, an absence of meaning if you will.

If you read the text of the Federal Hazardous Substances Act, you will never once find a definition of "non-toxic."

That is because there is not one. All "non-toxic" means is that a substance has not been tested and found to be "toxic" -- which does have a federally-defined meaning.

"Non-toxic" could mean that a substance has been tested and found to be generally not harmful.

However, the vast majority of chemicals and industrial substances have not been given even the simplest of tests for safety. There is currently no requirement or incentive to do so, and a large one not to, since identifying toxic substances may lead to clean-ups, formulation changes, lawsuits, etc.

All chemicals, in other words, are considered innocent until proven guilty, and no one is in a hurry to look for guilt.

We live in a world awash with untested chemicals and the only thing to be sure of is a product labeled "toxic" is guaranteed to be harmful.

Anything not tested -- and remember, that's most industrial and household chemicals -- can be labeled "non-toxic" in the meantime.

Reaper is doing the best it can, but don't get paint near your mouth.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 3

Non-Toxic:  really means that, for its INTENDED USE, the material will not cause short term (acute) or long term (chronic) health issues due to exposure.  For Reaper paints, intended use is the application of the paint to a miniature figure using a paint brush. 

Actions that are NOT INTENDED USE include: licking paint from the brush, drinking brush rinse water, painting the back of your hand or thumb to release the excess paint, or, for that matter, contacting the paint in any manner with human skin or other organs.

We all get desensitized to acrylic paints because they are not oil based, and therefore should be less hazardous.  Please note that less hazardous does not mean non-hazardous.

Something is going to kill you someday. It's up to you to determine where to place your risk. I ride a motorcycle, daily. I'm sure the toxicity of paint is pretty paltry in comparison.

• Like 4

Something is going to kill you someday. It's up to you to determine where to place your risk. I ride a motorcycle, daily. I'm sure the toxicity of paint is pretty paltry in comparison.

While this is true, it's still in your best interests not to increase your hazards. Especially on something we easily avoidable and preventable.
  • Like 1

Probably true. But it's still good to know where the risks are.

• Like 3

I would only advocate that anyone teaching a class specify that one should not lick the brush, even if they do so compulsively.

"Don't do this, it could be hazardous to your health."

While this is true, it's still in your best interests not to increase your hazards. Especially on something we easily avoidable and preventable.

I'm not going to say I'm a habitual paint-licker, but I have been known to do so on occasion to sharpen the point on my brush. I am aware of the potential risks, but I also eat processed foods.

• Like 2

Agreed. Let's drop the topic in this thread.

I liked the people most of all.

Yep, it's a special group of people. And for probably the first time in several decades I don't mean that in any kind of sarcastic nasty way, but a good way.

I now have a Local Reaper family and an Extended Reaper family, and ReaperCon is the best family reunion ever.

• Like 4