Mr. Melons' WIPs and Platemail

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Reaper Blood Red mixed with a gloss varnish at a 3:2 ratio for the high sheen. I did roughly 3 layers of Blood red sans the gloss varnish, then did the "candy coat" of red varnish. Doing just a layer of varnish makes it too glossy and it looks fake as opposed to a more "natural" look. This guy has sleeker, less chunky armor, than the first which I think is why he came out better plus I learned what not to do from the first one. When I did the first I honestly had no direction of where I was going and tried like 3 different techniques with him before I settled on this style.

I wanna do a set in a dark blue tone at some point though or maybe purple.

Taking a break from doing the Nova Corps so I don't burn out on 'em. Ever since we got this guy I have always wanted to paint him. I used some google-fu and looked up a bunch of different colors for the 77038: Hell Hound. Since they have several different colors I decided I wanted to go to a greyish skin tone but as I started to do him I kinda thought about painting it like a panther. With no more adieu I present the start of my Hell Hound:

Stock photo 'cuz I forgot to take one without it painted (I really need to take more progression photos):

x77038_w_1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ZAtjMgXUW0.j

I took a pic to send to the wife to show her how it was coming along so here is when I just did multiple layers of blue after I covered the muscles in True Black:

temporary_zpsf89e5f6c.jpg

After talking with the wife I decided I needed to punch up the color palette on his skin so I added purple accents and kicked up the highlights too:

temporary_zps5ac38d9b.jpg

Hope you like it.

• Like 15

Colors are great and your wife was right about adding more color.

The placement of your shades and highlights looks quite good but, as ShadowRaven mentioned, the color transitions are rough for a miniature (though, to be honest I really like that style for paintings). You might want to look into feathering which is used with glazing to create\smooth transitions and it's not very hard. A quick explanation is take one color and make a bunch of tiny lines like so \\\\\\\\ then with the color do the opposite direction over the ones you just made like /////// then, once those have dried, glaze over with the color you want to be dominant (usually your base). Do that around all the edges and you should see a transition. The smaller the hashes the finer the blend.

• Like 4

The placement of your shades and highlights looks quite good but, as ShadowRaven mentioned, the color transitions are rough for a miniature (though, to be honest I really like that style for paintings). You might want to look into feathering which is used with glazing to create\smooth transitions and it's not very hard. A quick explanation is take one color and make a bunch of tiny lines like so \\\\\\\\ then with the color do the opposite direction over the ones you just made like /////// then, once those have dried, glaze over with the color you want to be dominant (usually your base). Do that around all the edges and you should see a transition. The smaller the hashes the finer the blend.

I've also only been doing this for about 3 months so baby steps, but I'll have to look this up for sure. I remember my wife being told this but haven't really been able to put it into practice. Must level up the paint-fu!

• Like 1

I've also only been doing this for about 3 months so baby steps, but I'll have to look this up for sure. I remember my wife being told this but haven't really been able to put it into practice. Must level up the paint-fu!

Feathering is probably the easiest way to blend and I think you're ready for it as this hellhound is hitting all the right notes in terms of paint-fu. As this thing is rocking. You've leveled up a few times and I don't think have admitted it to yourself. You have the feat points, it's time to spend them in blending.

Also, try brining up the fire-fur in the recessed areas to a bright orange or yellow that you have by the eyes but not quite as bright so the eyes stay focal. A good fire has inversed shading and highlighting. It's strange at first but looks right once you get it.

• Like 3

Dangit Mr Melons, did you try some Source lighting while I was gone?! What have I said about doing awesome stuff while I'm at work?? You need to practice your glazes now that you've moved on in levels, which also means slowing the F down. Less speed painting, more technical painting. Eventually you'll be able to tackle that other giant and he'll look wicked. I think next up is working on flesh and cloth before you tackle that big guy though.

• Like 3