Sign in to follow this  
Mr Melons

Mr. Melons' WIPs and Platemail

Looking really great,

your palette of color on this one is supreme.

Nice Balance Dude !

TY Jay.  I used Monarch purple for the base as the midtone, mixed a small amount of Pure black with it for shadows, and for the highlights I used Amethyst purple.  We liked the colors so much that we actually bought them to add to her collection of purples.  I also glazed it with Monarch purple to keep the contrast faded properly.  After taking Wren's class on glazing and blending I also took Clear red and glazed it with it.  It took it from a dull purple to the popping purple that you see now.

• Like 2

More work done on the weird mech that none can identify. Got the chest, head, and most of one leg done. The other day I was looking at the mini to plan where I was going with it and dropped it like a klutz. It's left arm popped off from the fall. It was a completely clean break from the joint and it was all glue that came apart. This actually made it really easy to do the left leg which is now mostly covered by the arm anyways. It's right arm refuses to come loose though so painting the right leg will be a smidgen harder. Here's where I am at so far.

temporary_zps7cae186c-1.jpg

temporary_zpse67d014c.jpg

temporary_zpsfaabae8a-1.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 14

Wow! What a great mini, and I haven't seen that series in years although I loved it! The mini's looking great and your skill have really improved from when you first started posting! Great job! Have you considered doing any blacklining to separate out the individual plates of armor? Of course that looks like it'd be a lot of blacklining... LOL!

• Like 2

/stares at Mr Melons, yeah, black lining would be great thing to try.

(I have to get him some better brushes first though @[email protected] He has one old kolinsky brush at his disposal and 3 of my old synthetics.)

• Like 5

Kharsin, I painted it black for the purpose of black lining and sadly most of the folds are so deep that the lining would have to be as thick as the shadows. It also made it look sorta cartoony so I mixed the black with the Monarch purple for a more organic alien effect. What that means though is that I need more black in that ratio so it shows better in the lining it seems. I'll definitely have to go back over the lines again then.

• Like 1

Yeah I've gotten to where I black line halfway through a project as I'd tend to paint over my previous lining. I started this on "The Picnic" specifically with the little HLP3R bot. I think I use a Raphael 0/3 to do it.... I think... lol!

• Like 2

Mr. M, we can totally be friends based on your inspiration source. I love the idea to use an Eva color scheme on this guy. Something I find helpful to remember about blacklining is that it doesn't have to be true black (you'll sometimes see darklining used as a term around the boards, and that's more my speed). You might try blue liner if you've got access to it-super dark, but thins and flows like a dream, and it will play nicely with the purple, too. Look forward to seeing this one come along!

• Like 4

I like using walnut brown for black lining. I was thinking about hitting it with blue liner to see how it would fare as well.

• Like 4

I somehow ended up with Walnut Brown, Brown Liner and Blue Liner. I tend to use whatever I feel will look the best given the color scheme. I think I'd try the blue on this one. I'm currently working with some blues and purples and will probably hit the blue liner soon. I'll probably post a mini WIP later tonight...

• Like 1

More work done on the weird mech that none can identify. Got the chest, head, and most of one leg done. The other day I was looking at the mini to plan where I was going with it and dropped it like a klutz. It's left arm popped off from the fall. It was a completely clean break from the joint and it was all glue that came apart. This actually made it really easy to do the left leg which is now mostly covered by the arm anyways. It's right arm refuses to come loose though so painting the right leg will be a smidgen harder. Here's where I am at so far.

The mech is from the Strain from Sedition Wars. 

That took a bit of looking, but I found it.  I thought it was something Mantic had done, but I was wrong.

I like finding things. 

Also, I'm enjoying the progress so far, I'd like to see how this turns out :D

/d

• Like 5

The mech is from the Strain from Sedition Wars. 

That took a bit of looking, but I found it.  I thought it was something Mantic had done, but I was wrong.

I like finding things. 

Also, I'm enjoying the progress so far, I'd like to see how this turns out :D

/d

It was at CMON and they did say there were Sedition Wars minis, we just weren't sure which one. Thanks for clearing that up =D.

It's called a Cthonian.

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 5

Been a while since I painted.  Since the wife and I have now added some Pathfinder Society games to our schedule, I felt I needed to paint a mini for the new protection Fighter I made for it.  Last night I started working on 77063: Duke Gerard.  Before I show you the pictures I just wanted you to know that the figure came missing the sword arm  for some reason so I will have to rig a different arm to it.

Here is what I've done so far:

I started by working on the skin and hair of the figure.

pic1_zps5fbbc18b.jpg

pic2_zps0413ea14.jpg

I then started on a few pieces of the armor.

pic3_zpsbb2911a4.jpg

pic4_zps04c71e8b.jpg

Pic5_zpse6e217c9.jpg

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 10