So how did people find travel to and from the con?

Pingo

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cursory research would indicate Buglips' numbers are accurate or even conservative. There would be layovers, but flight time would still be around 8 to 10 hours.

Yup.  And no direct flights. 

Out of curiosity I did some digging and it looks like a pretty good bet would be YYT --to--> EWR --to--> DFW. (For those that don't speak ATA airport code that is St. John's to Newark to Dallas Fort Worth. The codes are handy shorthand though when dealing with reservation web pages.)

That looks like two 3 hour hops. Maybe booking them separately with a good time cushion in between? 3 hour hop in the morning; lunch in the airport (There is a Starbucks in there; it's pricey but usually the quality is good); 3 hour hop in the afternoon.

I did see one flight (on Virgin) that was EWR to DFW, 12 hours duration, with a layover at LAX (Los Angeles!).

• Like 3

Cursory research would indicate Buglips' numbers are accurate or even conservative. There would be layovers, but flight time would still be around 8 to 10 hours.

Yup.  And no direct flights. 

Out of curiosity I did some digging and it looks like a pretty good bet would be YYT --to--> EWR --to--> DFW. (For those that don't speak ATA airport code that is St. John's to Newark to Dallas Fort Worth. The codes are handy shorthand though when dealing with reservation web pages.)

That looks like two 3 hour hops. Maybe booking them separately with a good time cushion in between? 3 hour hop in the morning; lunch in the airport (There is a Starbucks in there; it's pricey but usually the quality is good); 3 hour hop in the afternoon.

I did see one flight (on Virgin) that was EWR to DFW, 12 hours duration, with a layover at LAX (Los Angeles!).

Also a possibility. 

So, Amtrak recently announced this program where they give grants to artists (writers being the main target) to board a train (i think on the East Coast somewhere), ride it for a week, arting all the way, then turn around and come back. Amtrak provides all sorts of amenities. Basically it's a grant that covers the travel costs and provides the artist time to be inspired by the countryside and do art.

I wonder if a Reapercon commune could get this deal...

• Like 1

So, Amtrak recently announced this program where they give grants to artists (writers being the main target) to board a train (i think on the East Coast somewhere), ride it for a week, arting all the way, then turn around and come back. Amtrak provides all sorts of amenities. Basically it's a grant that covers the travel costs and provides the artist time to be inspired by the countryside and do art.

I wonder if a Reapercon commune could get this deal...

I'd love this but how would you prove you're a writer? @[email protected]

I flew in with british airways and out with american. BA won on all parameters from comfort, space and food quality to entertainment.

The most important thing for me when going to the US is to NOT have connecting flights within the US if at all possible. The reason being that immigrations and customs can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours in my experience, and missing flights sucks hard.

Edited by vejlin
  • Like 4

Wish I could train. Honestly sick of airplanes. Four hours of riding the edge of a panic attack is epic not fun. So much so I am considering the hound next year.

But I don't fear busses falling out of the sky. I don't like buses, I hate flying. Feel privileged, I like you all enough to do it.

I feel for you, SR, I've started getting that way myself, and it only keeps getting worse as I get older, not better.  ::(:

Mr. Boot and I have done both driving and flying a fair bit, back and forth between first Utah, then Idaho, and the Portland, OR area. Driving in the summer, flying in the winter (since our poor, old, little car can't handle the mountain passes + snow). I VASTLY prefer the driving route; even though flying may be "statistically safer than driving," driving just feels safer.

That said, I most sincerely doubt we'll be able to drive to our first ReaperCon. It was a possibility from here in Idaho, but a 30+ hour drive from Washington state to Texas is...extremely unappealing. As far as the train goes, I'm having a lot of difficulty getting Amtrak's website to tell me what it would take to travel from Richland, WA to Fort Worth (or Dallas), TX. Probably for the best, as the price is likely to be much higher than flying, plus taking about 4 times as long.  -_-

Round-trip bus looks like it would be roughly $900 or so for the both of us, with a travel time of about two days. That's not too bad, actually. The downside is an additional 2+ days spent traveling compared to flying. Also, Mr. Boot (back before he was Mr. Boot) rode the bus from Idaho to Washington a couple of times, and when he would call me while waiting for his next bus to come, the stuff I heard in the background of some of the bus stops was...a bit worrisome.  :unsure: So, there's a different sort of safety factor to consider there.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I heartily endorse Southwest Airlines as well. We've had nothing but great, friendly service from those folks, plus being able to check 2 bags for free (as long as they are under 50 lbs.) is a lovely bonus. Me and my family have flown with them many, many times and have had very few poor experiences with them. The one time Mr. Boot and I had a flight cancelled out from under us (because our destination airport shut down due to extreme weather), they took such good care of us and made sure that we were able to get a flight to another airport just a few hours away. I've only flown on United and Delta once apiece, and am not keen on repeating the experiences.  :unsure:

Sorry to ramble on so much, Pingo, especially since I didn't go to the con this year. Just sharing my own travel experiences, and planning out loud a bit.  ^_^ I do hope you find a good, workable solution that works well for you; traveling can be a right pain!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 1

I don't mind flying itself, there's just one thing I hate.  It's a weird thing, but it's why I hate air travel.

I don't like to pee on planes.

It's true.  Not sure why, exactly, but there it is.  This makes the 8-10 hour flight to DFW most intimidating.  Because at some point, with that kind of duration, there's going to need to be some relief time.

And I know, I just know that even if the whole flight has been smooth as glass the absolute second I get in there we'll be bouncing around like we're taking flak over the Ruhr dams. 

Only the fact that at the other end waits an awesome collection of people could compel me to make such a sacrifice. 

When I was flying on the MC-12W, they took out the toilets to save weight, so we were forced to pee in piddle packs (basically plastic bags with a powder to turn fluids into gel) if we were lucky, or into plastic bottles if we weren't.

I drove out from Tucson, with a one-night stop in San Angelo.  The drive up to about El Paso was pretty good.  But once you get past El Paso, it gets pretty rough.  See, I'm from California.  I've done similarly long drives in California, and they're actually kind of enjoyable, because you have all kinds of scenery.  Mountains, redwoods, the coast, you can get a heck of a view.  Even in the desert, you've got all sorts of mountains cropping up around you, breaking up the landscape and giving you something to look like.

Texas, or at least the part I drove through, is flat.  No forests.  No mountains.  No rivers.  All you have to look forward to is more Texas.  That was brutal.  Next year, if I don't have anyone to carpool with, I'm flying out.

• Like 1

Wish I could train. Honestly sick of airplanes. Four hours of riding the edge of a panic attack is epic not fun. So much so I am considering the hound next year.

But I don't fear busses falling out of the sky. I don't like buses, I hate flying. Feel privileged, I like you all enough to do it.

I dont know about you....but "busses falling out of the sky" sounds [expletive deleted] scary as [expletive deleted]. O_O

• Like 1

I feel for you, SR, I've started getting that way myself, and it only keeps getting worse as I get older, not better.  ::(:

Mr. Boot and I have done both driving and flying a fair bit, back and forth between first Utah, then Idaho, and the Portland, OR area. Driving in the summer, flying in the winter (since our poor, old, little car can't handle the mountain passes + snow). I VASTLY prefer the driving route; even though flying may be "statistically safer than driving," driving just feels safer.

That said, I most sincerely doubt we'll be able to drive to our first ReaperCon. It was a possibility from here in Idaho, but a 30+ hour drive from Washington state to Texas is...extremely unappealing. As far as the train goes, I'm having a lot of difficulty getting Amtrak's website to tell me what it would take to travel from Richland, WA to Fort Worth (or Dallas), TX. Probably for the best, as the price is likely to be much higher than flying, plus taking about 4 times as long.  -_-

Round-trip bus looks like it would be roughly $900 or so for the both of us, with a travel time of about two days. That's not too bad, actually. The downside is an additional 2+ days spent traveling compared to flying. Also, Mr. Boot (back before he was Mr. Boot) rode the bus from Idaho to Washington a couple of times, and when he would call me while waiting for his next bus to come, the stuff I heard in the background of some of the bus stops was...a bit worrisome.  :unsure: So, there's a different sort of safety factor to consider there.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I heartily endorse Southwest Airlines as well. We've had nothing but great, friendly service from those folks, plus being able to check 2 bags for free (as long as they are under 50 lbs.) is a lovely bonus. Me and my family have flown with them many, many times and have had very few poor experiences with them. The one time Mr. Boot and I had a flight cancelled out from under us (because our destination airport shut down due to extreme weather), they took such good care of us and made sure that we were able to get a flight to another airport just a few hours away. I've only flown on United and Delta once apiece, and am not keen on repeating the experiences.  :unsure:

Sorry to ramble on so much, Pingo, especially since I didn't go to the con this year. Just sharing my own travel experiences, and planning out loud a bit.  ^_^ I do hope you find a good, workable solution that works well for you; traveling can be a right pain!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

So, near as I can tell the closest Amtrak station to you is in Pasco, you would have to first take the Empire Builder to Chicago, then change trains for Dallas. 1st leg to Chicago is 39 hours or so, the 2nd leg to Dallas is 21 hours so 60 hours by train, 120 hours total round trip.