Painting Contest - Be a Spaceship Superstar! (ends Sept 7th, 2014)

Wow.  Didn't know that about the sculpey.

I've seen a lot of sculpts that used green stuff for the final details (to avoid needing to rebake).  I honestly recommend mixing apoxie sculpt with green stuff- it makes it react a little better, and makes it way easier to smooth out.  If you're wanting something you can vulcanize, make the mix about 1/3 apoxie and 2/3 green stuff.  It casts just fine that way.

Now, about this competition:

Man, I've got all of these new Relic Knights minis to paint up, a Grace is Gone that's been wanting a competition paintjob for a while too.

But that image at the start of this thread makes me want to dig up my old Space Crusade and Warzone minis for this contest.  They'd love to have paintjobs far beyond what they deserve.

Plus, there's that bones mini that looks like Marcus Pheonix and just wants some hard shadows to show off his cheek bones and moody lighting.

So many choices.  I'll probably enter more than once.

Oh no, you're entering. Tell me it isn't true as the thought of my work standing anywhere near yours is terrifying. And you're entering more than once?  You might as well just cut my heart out right now  ::): 

Aw, boo. I noticed a long time ago that contests are more fun the more people enter.

I love seeing all the different approaches too.

Please don't stress out. Your work is lovely.

• Like 3

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and with corporea/pingo/odingrandson/cash/willen and anne entering!!!  think how us lowly mortals feel!  :down::unsure:

oh well there is always a chance for the door prize and a ribbon! :devil:

I also get bragging rights that my entries showed up in the same thread as the gods / goddess of the paint brush! 

Edited by robinh
  • Like 5

Currently trying to SCULPT the Emperor's throne itself. Much harder than it looks, much much harder. I'm trying to use sculpey to do it, but I might have to do it in a few different tries with green stuff or milliput, not sure. 

OMG.  I MUST SEE THIS.

• Like 4

Currently trying to SCULPT the Emperor's throne itself. Much harder than it looks, much much harder. I'm trying to use sculpey to do it, but I might have to do it in a few different tries with green stuff or milliput, not sure. 

OMG.  I MUST SEE THIS.

Look in my signature, I have a link to my WIP for the whole project. I need to take a few new pics as I've painted the throne black and am now putting in the purples for the seat.

• Like 4

and with corporea/pingo/odingrandson/cash/willen and anne entering!!!  think how us lowly mortals feel!  :down::unsure:

oh well there is always a chance for the door prize and a ribbon! :devil:

I also get bragging rights that my entries showed up in the same thread as the gods / goddess of the paint brush! 

I don't know what I did to get mentioned in that company but  :blush:

Took vacation time this week to stay home with the daughter, but used some free time to move along this. Hopefully one of my minis will be done soon... and then the Doctor!

• Like 3

Nice! Vacations are the best. I just took a few days off the week before last and called it a "Paintcation" = Painting + Staycation. I selected a mini just for this contest! I've been looking forward to it for a few months now since I saw the initial post. I hope to enter more than one entry. I know we'll see more entries as we get closer to the deadline. Best of luck to all! :)

• Like 2

Unfortunately, I am a little behind. Travel, kid's vacation time, plus recent developments bringing down my enthusiasm a bit is playing against me.

Still looking forward to finishing the TARDIS diorama anyway, just... need a new spark or burst of painting activity.

• Like 4

Unfortunately, I am a little behind. Travel, kid's vacation time, plus recent developments bringing down my enthusiasm a bit is playing against me.

Still looking forward to finishing the TARDIS diorama anyway, just... need a new spark or burst of painting activity.

You mean I might get my currently 15% completed Star Wars dio done before you?? 

• Like 3

Quite possibly.

Unless I decide I want to go airbrush all the way and actually get stuff done  :devil:

Sad kitten eyes on approval holder for expenses gave me budget for a traditional trigger style airbrush, where I can get better control. Based in my experience on the pistol-style ab and being almost capable of doing quite small surfaces with it, I am looking forward doing more, block shading and highlights with an airbrush. 

And perhaps I get the push for this. I want to present the dio to a local contest in September as well.

• Like 1

I need to get motivated tonight, have 3 projects on my desk in various states. I don't like this, not one bit. I usually only have 1 project at a time, but I started flitting around doing a bit of this and a bit of that the other day and it continued for a few days... Ended up putting the Star Wars dio on the back burner and moving the RBG Vignette up to the front.

• Like 1