Pingo....for some reason I couldn't help but notice that the pics of the faces kinda seem like they are looking at the person under them....O_O

I like the partial mask concept on Svetlana btw.

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 2

I love these so far. The blue is a beautiful shade and I love the eyes especially the princess. Can't wait to see them finished.

• Like 2

The faces have a really nice gestural painterly look to them.  When seen in tightly cropped photos like that they remind me of Frans Hals' portraits.

• Like 1

Nice start, and an imposing line up of giants wanting paint!  Might be a long time before they're finished, but I figured I'd skip to the end and just start following now.  So I don't have to worry about missing anything epic.  ^_^

• Like 3

Just a few notes.  

02599 Frorigh was sculpted by Jason Wiebe, 77107 Svetlana by Derek Schubert, and 77106 Boerigg by Gene van Horne.  I don't know the concept artists' names.  The Otherworld frost giant is sculpted by Paul Muller.  The jester is from Black Scorpion, but I haven'tfound information on who the sculptor is.

Reaper's Frorigh figure is pretty front-heavy.  His center of gravity is barely on his base.  When I first assembled him the slightest brush against his backside would send him toppling nose-first.  After considering various options, I decided to mold a small wedge of epoxy putty under the base.  I raised the front edge about 2mm, tapering down to the back edge.  Now he will still go over if you give a good wallop to his backside, but a simple table bump won't do it.

I have seen people put Frorigh figures on large bases, which is probably the most sensible option.

• Like 4

Duochrome would be cool to see.  Since I am pretty sure that you would easily pull this off I will watch and learn something.

I am already liking the colors btw.  I like browns and blues together though so that's probably got something to do with it.

• Like 4

Definitely interested in watching this one Pingo. I love that the close ups of their faces look like oil paintings!

• Like 2

Love the skin on these. I'll look forward to the duochrome scheme (side note, my phone's autocorrect wanted that phrase to be "monochrome Schenectady" which sounds like maybe a White Stripes coverband), as the brown and blue is triggering all kinds of happiness amongst my rods and cones.

Lovely eyes, too.

For Fohrig, I'd definitely suggest a wooden round, Luke you can get at Michael's. Easy and heavy.

• Like 4

Love the skin on these. I'll look forward to the duochrome scheme (side note, my phone's autocorrect wanted that phrase to be "monochrome Schenectady" which sounds like maybe a White Stripes coverband), as the brown and blue is triggering all kinds of happiness amongst my rods and cones.

Lovely eyes, too.

For Fohrig, I'd definitely suggest a wooden round, Luke you can get at Michael's. Easy and heavy.

Seven Nation army was playing as I read this post.

OT:  Really liking the way the giants are turning out.  Paying close attention as I still have mine to do, and I think that some limited color schemes could be useful.

• Like 3

That jester is going to look interesting...

Love me some brown liner. My washes have never been the same...

• Like 2

Are you familiar with  Goscinny and  Uderzo 's Asterix comics? This picture reminds me of Cacophonix the Bard having another of his usual run ins with Fulliautomatix the smith

post-8022-0-63016400-1399250452.jpg

• Like 7

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Venun
      I got this Frost Giant King in the last BoGW Europe. Glitterwolf put it in there I believe ( @Glitterwolf).

I aimed for a fastvpaintjob, then noticed more and more details during the paint.
      Tried my best at a frostbite-ish effect on the sword. In the end I loved him so much he deserved a proper base.
      I went with an icy base, without the often seen crackle effect. There was no tutorial for what I was aiming for, so I winged it.

The rock is a piece of driftwood with wall filler.

I'm quite happy on the outcome. What do you all think?

Bonus content: WiP pictures

• By MoonglowMinis
      Today I wanted to show off some cheap 54mm Vikings that I painted up as Frost Giants.

I made these guys close to a year ago, and they were among some of the first larger sized minis I had worked on, so they're a little rough, and that's before looking at the quality of model, but if someone else is in need of a lot of giants like I was, then this might be useful to them!

So these guys are from Tehnolog, a Russian miniatures company that I know very little about.  The minis are made out of a soft plastic like novelty toys you can buy with tickets at an arcade.  They also have abysmal detail.

They're meant for 54mm wargaming, and I believe there's an intended game system that accompanies the line, but my goal was to get some cheap giants for D&D.

They fit nicely on a 2in base, and could probably fit in with the smaller Reaper Bones giants, but they're definitely a little undersized.  I remedied this by giving them each a boosted base, with the leader getting two layers.  At a glance, they tower over a standard medium sized mini.

The details were rough and there were some ugly mold lines here and there.  But they're serviceable.  They might work better as a half-giant if you want to use 5e's Huge Frost Giants.

More pictures of each giant below the Spoiler:

Tehnolog also has a few other lines of fantasy-esque minis if you're a fan of cheap minis.  I am still considering getting one of their other lines to convert into cheap-o Fire Giants.

What's your favorite obscure miniature substitute?

• By Pingo
      Coincidentally, I had this figure very nearly done two days ago when the sad news of Diana Rigg’s passing was made public.

It always was a tribute to her incandescent portrayal of Emma Peel in the old British TV show “The Avengers”, but now it’s a memorial as well. Requiescas in pacem, Ms. Rigg.

The figure is “Pandora King (Classic)” from Crooked Dice miniatures. Crooked Dice has a minis game based on cult TV and they’ve produced a lot of different figures suitable for that sort of storytelling.

• By Pingo
      Happy birthday, @TheAuldGrump and @Inarah. I hope you enjoy this. Notes follow after the photos.

This is Grenadier’s Hippogriff, #138 from the Fantasy Lords series way back in 1983, now sold in lead-free pewter by Mirliton Miniatures, Italy. It’s well sculpted, with securely fitting wings.

I wanted to paint something different from the common hippogriff colorings, something with a little challenge to it. So I decided to go with several black and white patterned creatures. The front end is based on an osprey, the wings on a hoopoe’s, and the hindquarters on a zebra, all somewhat modified to suit the figure and to blend where the shifts happen.

Whenever you’re going to paint a chimeric model, a creature made up of the parts of other creatures, it’s a good idea to go look at real animals to see how their colors and feathers and skins look, and also how they blend into other things. If nothing else, there are excellent visual resources on the internet.

Technical notes:

• By Otyugh
      My Reaper habit started with a Friday night gaming session...

"Tom felt a breeze wafting up from the chamber beyond. For some reason the air was hot and heavy, even though he was walking along a passage deep in an abandoned mine."

"Ummmm. Sorry, but we have to stop here today." I did not have a dragon mini to use to harrass Tom. A salt shaker just does not have the same drama as slapping the correct monster mini down on the table. I also could not handle everyone laughing at my poor (ugly mishapen) solder dragon.

Time to take a trip to the old Lone Star Comics and see if they had a Dragon that I could afford.

As usual, walking into Lone Star was like entering Alladin's cave of treasures. Real Partha, Grenadier, Rafm, and more distinctively sparkled, beckoning, despite the cost. A Dragon was too far out of reach.

Back along the wall, there was something new. There were affordable minis on the back wall!

I was able to score a package of villagers, some weapons sprues, and a real Dragon mini.

Tom was promptly roasted to a medium rare, and eaten by the freshly painted red Dragon the next friday.

Don't laugh too hard, but this is the solder dragon in question. It is amazing what can be made with a soldering iron, a little flux, a bit of solder and a ton of patience. It did in a pinch, but was retired after the Reaper dragon made its appearance.

• Who's Online   26 Members, 1 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)