Sign in to follow this  
Hymn

What We Can Do For Reaper

I has a crazy idea...those of us who do maille may call it insane...but make them a Reaper logo banner out of anodized aluminum...that would be tough but epic

• Like 5

Enthusiasm and positive focus goes a long way, too.  Inducing Reaperlust is easy if all you do is love it and can explain why - very much soft sell.  It makes people want a piece of the action, like you know something they don't.  It's a lot easier to make a convert by showing your love for the product than it is to give people the stinkeye and say something like "why are you buying that crap?"

Nobody likes Mr. Poo-Poo Parade, but everybody (except maybe Mr. Poo-Poo Parade) likes the cheerful person beaming with Reaperlight because they've become One of Us. 

Mouslings are gateway minis, remember that.  They also make excellent gifts.  Treat people like the atmosphere here on the board, it works just as well in real life.  Positive reinforcement.  Make friends.  Find new people at model shows, contests, even at the store and be encouraging, knowledgeable, friendly.  (and maybe give them a casketworks out of your backpack so they can read the pamphlet catalogue at home) 

Any store run with any sense (many are not) will quickly smell profit in the wind and join in.  Encourage people to ask for Reaper stuff at the store, and only use the web order as a second resort.  Reaper supports local stores, so we should too.  Get them in for a piece of the pie, everybody wins.  If suddenly multiple people are asking for Reaper at the counter, the store ought to start stocking it.  If they don't, it's their problem.  Any FLGS that's not moving lots of Bones and the paint that goes on them isn't trying very hard to make money, because in my experience the stuff practically sells itself. 

Edit to add:  Also, remember the effect we saw here with my "fun first" thread.  Not everybody wants to be Rembrandt, and a lot of people are intimidated by miniatures.  Don't make it worse by pushing too hard - instead show how simple, fun, nice, and easy it is to start out with.  I think it's highly significant the growth this board has seen in new members, and the number of people we get in here who are gunshy from "the outside".  It helps the hobby to have more people slinging paint and having fun than to be snooty and exclusive, and I'd rather have 100 happy average people painting tabletop than only 1 master. 

Master painters are swell and all, but they're the second priority.  The first priority is always to get people started painting to begin with. 

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 11

Hmmm...

There's a comics shop two blocks from my house.

It has a minuscule selection of Ghemz Wurkshappe stuff, figures and paints.

Maybe ... maybe the proprietor would like to see a Reaper catalogue ...

• Like 11

I have to say that the dragonlings from the order notes thread will make excellent gateway minis if\when they become available.

• Like 7

cute is, for me, the best gateway drug to a mini addiction.

I've been fighting off Chibi Miniature purchases since September...I don't know how much more I can hold out.

• Like 5

Yeah I get the 'We can special order them for you' all the time. Pandamonium in Garden City Michigan is the store w/ the best selection of Reaper on the walls that I've seen in quite some time. It's nice having a place I can browse and pick up a figure or two without having to mail order. Actually, I hardly ever mail order, I'd rather buy from a FLGS but the only one I've found w/ any Reaper minis so far has been one w/ about 50 total on a paint peeling wall of an old house w/ much needed work on some hard wood floors. (The guy is nice, but seeing how he isn't putting money into the presentation of his business makes me sad. It's in an area w/ parking problems, and would be a great store if only got the old house the store is in renovated)

I'll also give Pandemonium a thumbs up as well. Lots of stock and very friendly. Just wish it was a little closer. And they did not carry Reaper paint the last time I was in there.

• Like 1

I dunno, I keep managing to get people hooked on a version of a Reaper game that hasn't had active support aside from keeping the figures available without even trying. Pretty  much what Buglips said, except most of the time the figures really do sell themselves, the enthusiasm just helps.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 6

Any store run with any sense (many are not) will quickly smell profit in the wind and join in.  Encourage people to ask for Reaper stuff at the store, and only use the web order as a second resort.  Reaper supports local stores, so we should too.  Get them in for a piece of the pie, everybody wins.  If suddenly multiple people are asking for Reaper at the counter, the store ought to start stocking it.  If they don't, it's their problem.  Any FLGS that's not moving lots of Bones and the paint that goes on them isn't trying very hard to make money, because in my experience the stuff practically sells itself.

My FLGS just started selling Bones but only on a single rack. I make a point to buy one every week and ask whoever is at the counter to expand their selection. I agree...seems really easy to push.

• Like 5

Yeah I get the 'We can special order them for you' all the time. Pandamonium in Garden City Michigan is the store w/ the best selection of Reaper on the walls that I've seen in quite some time. It's nice having a place I can browse and pick up a figure or two without having to mail order. Actually, I hardly ever mail order, I'd rather buy from a FLGS but the only one I've found w/ any Reaper minis so far has been one w/ about 50 total on a paint peeling wall of an old house w/ much needed work on some hard wood floors. (The guy is nice, but seeing how he isn't putting money into the presentation of his business makes me sad. It's in an area w/ parking problems, and would be a great store if only got the old house the store is in renovated)

I'll also give Pandemonium a thumbs up as well. Lots of stock and very friendly. Just wish it was a little closer. And they did not carry Reaper paint the last time I was in there.

They stopped carrying Reaper about 6 months before I moved. They had a very spartan display, with not updated paints. But I did buy at least 1 of my two hard cases of HD paints there, even after they got rid of their Reaper display rack.

• Like 3

I'm not sure if our soon-to-be LGS (no idea about the F part yet, we'll see :) ) carries Reaper minis, since they're website is rather...less than informative. Once we've settled in, I'll be scoping it out for sure, armed with bare Bones, paint and the Casketworks I got in my swag bag. They won't know what hit 'em.  ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 6

They stopped carrying Reaper about 6 months before I moved. They had a very spartan display, with not updated paints. But I did buy at least 1 of my two hard cases of HD paints there, even after they got rid of their Reaper display rack.

They told me (not too long ago) that they were going to carry Reaper paint.  They were just waiting for the Reaper factory to get them their display rack and stuff.  Perhaps that wasn't true.  But I'd make the drive there more often IF they had the paint.  Otherwise it's easier to order off the Reaper website for one stop shopping I guess.

• Like 2

That's what I am finding out I need to do here. There is like 1 or 2 more stores I can check, but so far it's pretty much a Reaper wasteland.  :down:

I do like the ability to buy a paint bottle or so a week (it helps keep the husband from noticing  :ph34r: ) but for me, it's the browsing of the minis I really like. 

Oh and the bargin bins! (But I'm gonna have to be sure to scour the area before Borwin comes back!  :lol: )

• Like 5

They told me (not too long ago) that they were going to carry Reaper paint.  They were just waiting for the Reaper factory to get them their display rack and stuff.  Perhaps that wasn't true.  But I'd make the drive there more often IF they had the paint.  Otherwise it's easier to order off the Reaper website for one stop shopping I guess.

Mine had the same problem, even though they really wanted the paint. The owner kept saying that they were waiting on the display rack, which I found odd, and asked if he'd contacted Reaper directly about it. He replied that he goes through a distributor.... (there's already a thread discussing distributors and such, so I'm not trying to start a discussion here). It might be a similar situation for your FLGS.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 3

I find that asking for product (just got my FLGS to carry MSP) and singing the praises of Reaper work well enough.  Hold a semi-regular paint club works too.  I post on the store's FB page when we are getting together and we get new people to indoctrinate.

• Like 3