Sign in to follow this  
Nissiana

Nissiana's WIPs

After ReaperCon, I'm flush with ideas, plans, and goals motivating my painting. One of those goals is to paint on a more regular basis, so I'm starting this WIP thread to provide a little outside motivation and accountability to keep me on track while my schedule goes crazy--unlike last year, when I came back inspired, but didn't manage to do any painting for several months!  

I've got several things which have been benched for various lengths of time in addition to the new projects I'd like to try, so I'll probably intermittently grab something off the shelf in the midst of starting something from scratch. 

I'll also try to come up with a clever name for the thread - haven't dredged up anything appropriately alliterative as of yet.

Come along for the ride!  I'll try to provide some pretty pictures along the way :)

Edit: Project Index

Bones Dain Deepaxe

DarkSword Female Mage/Druid

Bones Hydra

Edited by Nissiana
  • Like 10

So, project 1: reclaim the work space.  As a lot of you know, Sanael and I make up a 2-painter household, so we share a paint table.  And occasionally paint together at the same table.  We've posted our work area before in a couple of threads - let's just say that when two people in the same house go in for the same hobby as hard as we have for minis, you need a dedicated room for it.

Unfortunately, we're currently suffering from a condition known as "show house*"  combined with post-con explosion all over the craft room.

*While not contagious, show house is a chronic condition suffered by those in the performing arts - when involved in a show, all housekeeping duties tend to slide due to the increased amount of time spent out of the residence for rehearsals, performances, and the like.  One may have periodic relief from show house in the off seasons, but relapses are frequent, predictable, and often severe.

Those who like to see things organized neatly may wish to look away.

The workbench (primarily storage and construction area for Hirst Arts blocks, as seen in the bins behind the piles of swag and clutter):

20140501_1516131-e1399388414528-168x300.

The table - from a slight distance (workbench is on the left).  The clutter is obstructed by the paint-tier:

20140501_1515551-e1399388296281-203x300.

The carnage in full view.  This is the stuff of nightmares for me, friends:

20140501_1516231-e1399388353869-168x300.

At this point, I've been carving away at it for about two days straight.  Some definite progress has been made, but there is still a great deal of effort still to come before I'm happy with it.

• Like 11

SAVE ME, REAPERFRIENDS! She's destroying my beautiful workspace! All the clutter, all the bits and bobs that will definitely, one day, almost certainly maybe get used in that one diorama idea...she's sweeping it all away!

Things are going into DRAWERS, if you can believe. Things are getting "organized" and "put away." It's horrendous. Awful. Terrib--

Huh. I haven't seen that set of pliers in years....where was I? Oh, yes:

TERRIBLE! The paints are in racks, for crying out--

We have HOW many bottles of Clockwork Brass?! When did that happen..?

Err...ah! RACKS! I can't find anything in all this...this...NEATNESS! Make the madness stop!

Ooh! I can actually access the Hirst for that diorama, now...

• Like 12

Wait... wait.

You have how many bottles of Clockwork Brass?

*....pitter patter*

You know, if someone would happen to be in VA one of the times I grace the state with my presence, that someone might already have a bottle of Clockwork Brass.

Just sayin'.

• Like 4

Wait... wait.

You have how many bottles of Clockwork Brass?

*....pitter patter*

You know, if someone would happen to be in VA one of the times I grace the state with my presence, that someone might already have a bottle of Clockwork Brass.

Just sayin'.

:wub:
  • Like 4

Thanks for the compliments on the set-up, folks.  It's much better now!

The table - clear, open space!

post-3334-0-37029200-1399573866_thumb.jpg

But what did I do with the paint?  To the walls with it! (Also, a project whiteboard):

post-3334-0-16555600-1399573864_thumb.jpg

Underneath the table is also now effectively used:

post-3334-0-21419900-1399573868.jpg

From left to right in the above picture: A wheeled cart of items I like to have close at hand (drawers for palettes, painting rigs, airbrush supplies).  In the desk shelf, a stack of bins with projects in progress, the light tent for photos (folded up), painting notebooks and references, and over on the right side of the desk is the air compressor and spray booth for the airbrush.

And, I promised to leave Sanael's shelf-o-shame alone - I haven't touched it:

post-3334-0-58970000-1399573861.jpg

NOW I feel like I can focus on painting when I'm at the table!

The workbench got some clearing and organizational love, too, although most of that took place inside the drawers.  

post-3334-0-10052200-1399574593.jpg

And all of the mini swag from ReaperCon has been filed away into the Bins of Storage - one of the few places in the room I'd already had organized:

post-3334-0-05973600-1399574590_thumb.jpg

Whew!  Now on to the fun part!

• Like 17

Eeeugh. She's put LABELS on things. Now I'll be expected to put stuff back where it belongs!

...she already knows I'm literate, so I can't pretend to be incapable of reading the labels...

Ah, well. Chaos can still reign inside my brain...

(and I have to admit, the new paint racks are pretty snazzy!)

Edited by Sanael
  • Like 12

I am humbled,and awed,and speechless at such an organizational manifestation !

However, it is DIABOLICAL, unworldly, its... OFFICE LIKE.. EKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK !

Incredible looking Nissiana, really is, but but but...

I need my clutter to foster my creative juices.

a Once a week toss out, and clean up works for me.

I keep on hearing heavy boots on cobblestones looking at those photos.

Love your organizational skills, impressive.

I'm going to sit at my painting desk, and wrap my toes around the cobwebs !

• Like 2

I... drops dead at the sight of a proper painting area and minis storage for said proper painting area. 

I believe I am going to drool at the space for a while.  Do you have proper gaming space as well?

• Like 1