Nissiana

Nissiana's WIPs

Thanks for the cheering section.  I have to admit, without the encouragement, I might have given up after the earlier frustration - especially after how nice the fabric looked right before I put the design back in.

Yes that freehand is coming along awesomely! I must admit that I'm intimidated to do freehand as it takes so long for me to just get the highlights right! LOL! Great work on the cloak and I can't wait to see the finished piece!

I've felt that way for a looong time myself. I've always been afraid to "ruin" all the hard work I've already put in.  One thing this process has taught me is that it's OK to mess up!  It's only paint, and if I got it to a point I liked in the first place, I'm pretty confident I get it there again if I go astray.  ::):

• Like 5

Lol! Your determination is greater than mine. For clarification you'd have to check out my Kurff the Swift WIP. He's still sitting around waiting for a base. I'm about to base him so I can start with my Summer exchange though. That's besides the point. Great job!

• Like 1

I went over and took a look at your Kurff WIP, Kharsin.  I feel your frustration on Kurff.  I have a mini here that I call "Eric the ugly Pirate" who also suffers from a mis-cast/facial deformity - and ultimately, I came to the same decision, which was to just call him done already.  There are some things paint can't fix (and I'm not enough of a greenstuff wizard yet to resculpt things as delicate as faces).  

I've got a...significant...shelf of shame.  Lots of things waiting for basing, or various amounts of paint.  One of the things I'm hoping to do this summer (and there are many things on that list) is to start clearing things off of that shelf.  It's tough, because summer is usually the busiest time of year for me, but I'm trying to work in some painting whenever I can.  I find the more things I can call "done" and cross off the list, the more excited I am to get back to the paint table, so I'm trying to generate some positive momentum.  

Cash - I remember that cave girl! I'd love to see her finished up.  One of these days I'll get started on the one Bombshell model Sanael has said I can paint, but she's pretty far deep in my queue. 

• Like 3

Ugh, casting defects. Noreth has one on the right side of his face. No nostril, I had to reshape the cheek a bit and the eye socket and part of the eye is weird. Did my best and it's not horrible but I didn't want to start over once I realized how much it was throwing things off.

We should start a "Miscast Support Group..." "Hello! I'm Kharsin, and I have a deformed project...."

• Like 6

Laurana is still waiting patiently for her base touch up.  She's already been sprayed with sealer, so the base just needs to touch up a little rub-off from the painting process and a little bit of flock.  Hope to knock that out tomorrow.

In the meantime, it's back to the experiment board.  I'm trying to learn how to use my airbrush with a bit more control, so a Bones ghost is my current guinea pig for that:

post-3334-0-03642000-1403412548.jpgpost-3334-0-03324800-1403412546.jpg

I made life a little harder for myself by attempting some spooky lighting effects, but it's been fun playing with the colors and tweaking the variables on the airbrush to get predictable results.  I'll go in with a brush and finish him out, but he probably won't get a ton of in-depth brush love.

I also started another project (while several others glare at me from the Shelf of Shame - I've got some angry bench queens right now.  My excuse is that this is going to be for an encounter coming up VERY soon in my current game, so I needed to have something ready to go....)

This is not the entire piece, just the base:

post-3334-0-48610100-1403412561.jpgpost-3334-0-62963100-1403412558.jpgpost-3334-0-88654600-1403412564.jpg

One of my notes from ReaperCon this year was to have a little more fun and interest in my basing.  So that's one of the things I'm working on here.  This is the most involved base I've put together, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with it when I put some paint on it.  There are a lot of things on this base - some Hirst Arts blocks, a whole lot of cork, aquarium gravel, a big plaster rock from a model railroad terrain mold, Milliput for some gap filling and building up some levels, and some pumice paste to finish it all off.  It was a lot more time-intensive than I intended or planned - probably about 4 hours. In my defense, this isn't a small base - that's a couple of CDs stacked at the bottom.  Hopefully I'll be able to cut that time down with a bit of practice.

What's going on the base, you ask?  That will have to wait for the next update!  :devil:

Edited by Nissiana
  • Like 12

My summer schedule has been, um, heating up, leaving little time for painting. Up until this weekend, I've been away from painting quite a bit.

With some impending encounters for D&D coming up, the project above is sidelined momentarily. In order to be ready for prime-time, the bones hydra got a lot of my time this weekend--our party is destined to face an Iron Pyrohydra that's been abandoned in the bottom of a dungeon for a long time, so I decided to work on making him very rusty with a lot of orange and brown colors.

With a BIG brush, I put in the base coat of brown liner, and then roughed in the main colors with the airbrush. I'm still working on figuring out that machine, so there's a lot of manual brushwork still ahead.

As of this round of photos, I've mostly been concentrating on getting some of the detail to come out of the faces...

post-3334-0-27931700-1404678122_thumb.jpgpost-3334-0-24091300-1404678107.jpgpost-3334-0-88019300-1404678115.jpg

There's a lot still to do on the necks at this point, so the following picture is only dry-fit - they're not attached yet.

post-3334-0-04201300-1404678112_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

I've done a little more work on the heads, bringing up some more highlights. He's destined for tabletop, and I'm trying to get him done relatively quickly, so the blending is a bit rough, but I do like how the contrast is coming along.

post-3334-0-34716400-1404917819.jpg

If I were in the notion to make a diorama piece, I would position a hapless adventurer right in front of those faces, getting stared down by all of this doom.

post-3334-0-07241000-1404917824.jpg

Side shot - the center head has gotten a little more of the highlighting love at this point, which you can sort of see in the above shot, mostly by virtue of the brighter spikes.

post-3334-0-09647200-1404917829.jpg

I'm not looking forward to trying to get finished photos - there's so much going on here that it's hard to find the right camera focus!

Edited by Nissiana
  • Like 9

We should start a "Miscast Support Group..." "Hello! I'm Kharsin, and I have a deformed project...."

How about a Forum called the "Castaway's and Forelorn" Mini's suppurt Group.

I remember my  frustration with two face malformations, fortunately, they were able to be put "In Shadow".

Glad to see that Everyone is still painting, and moving forward !

• Like 1

Beautiful control on your Hydra...

The tonality of the colors match each other so well !

What a great feel it has !

Fantastic !