Classes You Wished For That Weren't

I should have explained above. I was not thinking of making complete items... At most, half-ruined houses like the ones on that Warlord table that also had the graveyard. Like you said, fit on a CD base.

four hours of casting? That would be more difficult than watching paint dry... Biggest issue is having enough copies of one mold to make sufficient casts to make one item, let alone enough bricks during this casting period to make six or eight builds in the final class. Most building kits or dungeon kits take at least 12 casts, some take 16-20, and some 30+ of multiple molds.

15 minutes to show how to mix, fill the molds, discuss the plexiglass method and the scrape method. Bring out a mold filled the night before/class before (should be set up by then ) , show how the bricks remain wet for a period of time, usually 24 hours unless you use a dehydrator or toaster oven.

I begin to perceive the logistic difficulties. I had a totally different idea of the drying time. Although, what substance are you casting? The reason I ask is that I watched somebody filling HA molds at a gaming store one time. He had 2 or 3 molds. The bricks were drying a lot faster than 24 hours for him. He was able to de-mold bricks within an hour or two. :blink: What was he using?

He would fill the first one. Squeegee it; put it aside. Repeat for the second one. And the third. Maybe take a short break;

Then he could un-mold the first set.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used Excalibur, Merlin's magic, Hydrostone, hydrocal and even PoP.

Depending on stiffness of the mix, it is usually 15 to 20 minutes for the stone to set for demolding. If the piece is thinner or has a lot of detail, then I let it sit a little longer as the brick is brittle and can crack if stressed. Typical turn around time for molds is roughly 30 minutes from mixing to demolding. You could possibly get six casts done in four hours, but there is a lot of downtime in between and folks would be more turned off than interested.

Also, there is a cure time for the brick to get completely dry. If you glue a brick that is "wet", the glue seaps I to the wet area, making that part of the brick crumbly and the joint between the two bricks very weak. That is the reason you have to wait before gluing the bricks.

A quick Sci Fi build on a CD would need two molds for floor and walls. Some builds may even need a couple casts just to have a more consistent wall appearance. I have been putting a lot of thought into this for my local FLGS, so I hope I am not coming across as a know it all.

• Like 2

I love so many of these and wanted to propose a few ReaperCon 2015 class ideas of my own:

Warp Drive - how to re-invent yourself, stay inspired, and keep improving when painting in a similar style for a long period of time.

Workspace in SPAAAACE! [Working title] Space themed, dressed as FemShep... "Painting Tech with FemShep"; "Mass Painting Effect"... ok I'll stop. 
Want to see the tools-of-the-trade in action? Learn how to spot each mold line before you prime, different priming techniques, suggestions on lighting when painting, pros/cons of synthetic & natural brushes, and last-but-not-least, pictures of professional painters' painting workspaces-- heaven. 

Getting Down to Business - [or "I'm Commander Shepard & this is my favorite miniature store on the Citadel"] 

Overview of branding, marketing, and how to use social media to stay relevant in your miniature business. (I attended Shannon's "Miniatures for eBay and Commission"-- super-inspiring! I recommend her class to anyone interested in a successful eBay business presence!)

...and last but not least:

Damage Report! - how to fix your foibles and mask your mistakes. Like said, it's super-helpful to know how to salvage a miniature that's, well, frakked. 

• Like 6

If John does it, you'll need to slow down the video about 30%. ;->

as a victim of his 'How Not to suck" class, I disagree. In a video you can go back and rewatch sections a few times to get the idea of it, so you shouldn't need to slow it down, just encourage people to go back as needed

• Like 4
  • Reaper User

Ed (Reaper CEO) and I have discussed a Hirst class in a one hour and 45-minute timeframe. We have an idea on how it might be done, and a couple of Reaper peeps and helpers who do Hirst from time to time. But I will need to do a dry run (take your d4 pun damage!) to make sure it will work before it goes on the schedule. ::):

We have tried subjects that range over multiple classes in the past, and it is less than desirable because to get the most out of those subjects a student needs to sacrifice a lot of class time learning only one thing, and for the complete experience also needs to be lucky enough to score all of the component classes. We would rather not do this. So it needs to fit in a 1 hour 45 minute class slot. ::):

• Like 10

I absolutely loved Lazlo's Fire and Earth class two years ago, and would like to see a similar offer again. I could even see these topics being split up. We spent about 60 minutes on fire, then had to rush a bit on earth. It was all great, but I would have liked to spend more time on marble and other unique stone types.

• Like 1

You probably could make it and put it all together in under 4 hours if you used styrene. It would weight far less too.

and totally defeat to title of the class... Casting and Building with Hirst Arts...

You probably could make it and put it all together in under 4 hours if you used styrene. It would weight far less too.

and totally defeat to title of the class... Casting and Building with Hirst Arts...

Got it! The class is about how to cast plaster in pre-made molds. Figure most would have done this with self-made molds while growing up. But need to keep in mind that many had different experiences and may not have done metal casting, welding, etc while growing up.

Edited by groovyedwin