Role play tips n tricks

I find it easier to RP well when I've got a history and personality down for my character. With that in mind I have a few character info sheets from the interwebs and made up. And I write up back stories. Which is fun ^_^

• Like 5
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most of the time I consider it good advice to just wing it and go with it (even if it is wrong) rather than halt the game for a rulebook study session (...but note down the query and look it up carefu

RP is much easier and more fun if your character has strong, built-in desires and motivations. Why are you out adventuring? What are you hoping to get from other people?   An old DM of mine made the

If I could give only one tip to help someone have fun with rp'ing, it would be to play something completely counter intuitive to your own personality. It helps people step out of their comfort zones;

I find it easier to RP well when I've got a history and personality down for my character. With that in mind I have a few character info sheets from the interwebs and made up. And I write up back stories. Which is fun ^_^

RP is much easier and more fun if your character has strong, built-in desires and motivations. Why are you out adventuring? What are you hoping to get from other people?

An old DM of mine made the point: Rational people do not choose to go out adventuring. Why is your character out here? What made you do it?

And now, a random anecdote:

Wizard Player (trying to hide): I polymorph into an invisible stalker!

Other player: Can you do that?

Wizard Player: It lets me change into any creature I know.

DM (with evil grin): Have you ever seen one?

• Like 9

Might have been posted but what are your tips n tricks for having fun role playing ? Maybe it's something about your favorite character maybe how you tricked the dm ? Here's afew of mine

- get a bag of holding, fill with weapons and give to local towns people (after saving the town) for a possible Militia on call

- have something weird with your character to role play, mine has a fork tongue (great voice role play, sounds like he has a lisp) & a spell scar gimp hand (frost bite) which is also fun

My fighter was collecting weapons from defeated enemies as trophies until he was given a bag of holding. From then on, he hoarded every single weapon dropped from defeated enemies. In addition he stored forging materials such as small anvils, hammers, tongs, buckets, coal, bellows, etc. We had a slave rebellion in a campaign and we ended up with the superior numbers. I love the look the DM gave. Wide-eyed, sort of like O_O. When he looked over the inventory list. Kind of ruined his plan for the night.

Tips I have found to be useful: It's always fun to give your character a weakness or two or some defining trait. Recovering alcoholic: how do you deal when people start drinking around you? What do you do when royalty offers you a peace drink? Do you lapse? Pacifist: what's the back story behind this decision? What happens when it reoccurs? What will cause your character to forsake his pacifism?

• Like 4

- Curiousity about the world.  Think Andrew Zimmerman or Anthony Bourdain - travel to new places, meet new people, try their foods.  Familiarity can lead to empathy and a desire to help people.

This reminds me of one of my favorite charaters to play. He was a Halfling Barbarian Named Percy the wonder cook. He was halfling height  but well built and would easliy get upity with anyone he met. Prone to raging during a fight but not generally useful in combat (he always picked off more than he could handle). He considered himself quite the Chef despite getting thrown out of his home town. He opened a tavern and the cooking was so bad they removed him from the town and burned the tavern to the ground. He carried only a few relics from his past and wore them as armor. His helmet was an old cooking pot with a handle, his shield was the same pots lid (treated as a buckler) He had his trusty meat cleaver (treated as a dagger) and wore a cloak made of the red and white stripped tablecolths. Underneath he wore traditional chef clothes. His reason for traveling was to find new ingredients and new recipies throughout his travels and he gladly oined the party when he was told he could make the meals for the group (something they would regret later) If I remember corectly he died trying to fight a giant and singlehandedly save the party or something like that...

• Like 3

The cliche start-off to an adventure is: all-your-characters-met-up-in-a-tavern. To avoid that, one time I started a campaign by having all the characters meet in the middle of a battle.

All the characters were in the same little walled town. The League of Orcs / Kobolds / Goblins attacked in the middle of the night bursting out of tunnels all over the place. They had secretly undermined the town.

• Like 8

The cliche start-off to an adventure is: all-your-characters-met-up-in-a-tavern. To avoid that, one time I started a campaign by having all the characters meet in the middle of a battle.

All the characters were in the same little walled town. The League of Orcs / Kobolds / Goblins attacked in the middle of the night bursting out of tunnels all over the place. They had secretly undermined the town.

The last time we started an adventure in a tavern it was on fire. And the orcs were attacking. I think we ended up burning down every tavern we went to that game . . .

PS

• Like 5

Characters should have hooks, and the hooks should tell the GM where you want to be punched. Mixed metaphor, I know.

So, give your character weaknesses and vulnerabilities OR overriding drives that will lead to the kind of stuff you want. It can be as simple as listing people your character owes debts of blood, honour, or cash. Then give the GM permission to mess with those people.

• Like 3

Whatever you make, make it entertaining for everyone. 

The Battle of Greenock was pretty entertaining. It operated as a constant series of random encounters because the D6 rolled for encounters was set to 5 out of six instead of the usual 1 out of six.

There was an NPC gnome illusionist, running about tying to defend the the place, a character for me to run. He was armed with a Wand of Blunder which was a custom version of the Wand of Wonder and he was cursed into thinking it was a good idea to use it. He gave me a means of giving the characters magick help if they got into serious trouble.

I had an encounter chart with endlessly recycle-able squads of Orc-Gobbo-Kobolds. Some were mixed groups, some were as simple as three Orc archers, there was hapless town guard versus 4 Kobolds, all sorts of little encounters. Constant descriptions of skirmishes, and running figures in the distance, horsemen riding past (chance to trample a foe).

There was no attempt to wargame out the whole battle, or give the players any sense of the big picture, just tried to account for the PC's role(s) within the crazy swirling battle.

• Like 6

We do a lot of Pathfinder Adventure Paths, so I try to make characters that REALLY like the idea of the campaign.  My current PC's father was a pirate, he thinks, so he went off to become a pirate!  The details of the adventure are irrelevant to him - he's following in Dad's footsteps! 

Best TRICK ever?

My six year old son, playing in a game with us jaded graybeards.  He was allowed in only grudgingly, with us oldsters being certain he couldn't handle the complexity of 3.0 (this was, after all, 11 years ago). We had not counted on Autism-brain being inordinately good at rules...

So we're in a dungeon. Low on HP. Spells running low, but not out. Healing low.  We're trying to decide to rest for the night or try one more room, certain that a hard encounter will kill us, but an easy one, or better yet, a safe room, is just what we need.

Us graybeards are afraid to open the door though.  

The six year old, wizard.  "I cast invisibility on the door.  What's behind it?"

Rulebooks come out. Target: One Object or Creature. is a door one object or many? Under Object Creak DCs, DOOR.  It's clearly, by Rules, one object.  We're stunned.  Over 40 years collective experience and none of us had ever heard of this being attempted.  But there it is.

So Now the door is invisble.  Orc on the other side looks up, sees the wizard, comes charging in! SLAM.  Invisible is not the same as not actually there.  Orc stunned for 1d4 rounds, we enter, the door now being visible again, Coup De Grace the orc, and have a safe room to rest for the night!

And my son was lauded as that night's MVP.

make an effort (so think about your character, their motivation etc, try to make them different from your last one, give them a voice/accent etc)

agree with your the GM and other players why the PCs are together (and stay together), if you don't the group will split, leaving the GM to run several sub parties which is a pain in the backside and leaves people sitting around mucking about, fiddling with phones/tablets etc  potentially for hours

(split parties are fine occasionally when there's a good reason for it, especially if only part of a group can show up for a few sessions)

choose your roleplaying group with care, some players (and GMs) just won't work well together. If it's not working, try different game style, try another system, try cutting the troublesome player/GM, try another group (if you're the odd one out),

If things are getting stale a one off with pre-gen characters can be a fun way to freshen stuff up (I recommend Paranoia)

and most of all have fun,

• Like 6

I'll probably be back with more as it comes to me, but for now I'll drop this off:

An interesting campaign starter (I haven't actually gotten to use this one yet) instead of the old 'you're in a tavern...'

None of the characters know each other. In fact they all begin the game as stone statues!

They are in this state because: (pick one)

medusa or any other statue producing monster

evil wizard

curse

drinking the magical water from the fountain

a wild magic area

Their benefactor that freed them is: (pick one)

a good wizard

an evil wizard pretendiing to be a good wizard (what better way to find some loyal patsies...er minions...well, you know)

a divinity

a wild surge

What now?

the party runs errands for the good/evil wizard or divinity because 'well you owe me...' or out of a sense of gratitude

they've been statues for a fairly significant amount of time, so they set out together to explore their new (old) world

etc, etc....

• Like 8