• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a blue sports car next to some wine bottles on the bread rack at a grocery store a few days ago. No label, no brand, no logo, and no idea what scale it is.

:upside:

It's five inches long. [?] Made in China. Found some tiny letters on the bottom, it looks similar this:

gumpert-apollo-14.jpg

This is a toy car display in a Walgreens near me (so I apologize for the busy backgrounds). The CVS near me has a similar display, and an independent toy store has a slightly different assortment from the same manufacturers.

toycardisplay1_zpsa07361d5.jpg toycardisplay2_zps91954468.jpg

Here are a couple of detail shots. Note the variety of time periods covered, from roughly the late 1920s through modern day. There are the usual fancy cars and sports cars, but there are also sedans, station wagons, and trucks. There are a variety of emergency vehicles, although the actual fire trucks are probably too small a scale. There are some silly painted cars and some with chunky cartoony proportions for younger children, but most are straightforward scale models.

toycardisplaydetail-1_zps427fc9fd.jpg toycardisplaydetail-2_zpsab7ab719.jpg

• Like 6

King Soopers and Krogers carry a lot of the ones I see in the post above. Regrettably, I'm not finding any 1920s style trucks or roadsters I'm currently hunting... or another pink Cadillac to use as Elvis transport.

if its 1920s/1930s style vehicles, check out lledo's line of metal cars... they seem to hit the sweet spot

Aw, that's not fair. Lledo went bankrupt in 1999 and was bought out by Corgi, which is not exactly easy to find in the US.

It's like recommending Rackham miniatures. Yes, they may be perfect for one's needs, but without a time machine one cannot reach them.

Funny to see this thread. I bought a humvee (pimp mobile) and 50's era police car last week in Krogers for zombicide. Looks right to the eye next to the figs. I thought they were labled 1/40. They are just a touch longer than the card board cars that come with the game.

if its 1920s/1930s style vehicles, check out lledo's line of metal cars... they seem to hit the sweet spot

Aw, that's not fair. Lledo went bankrupt in 1999 and was bought out by Corgi, which is not exactly easy to find in the US.

It's like recommending Rackham miniatures. Yes, they may be perfect for one's needs, but without a time machine one cannot reach them.

found a metric crapload on ebay, seen them in flea markets and thrift stores as well, so they are out there (50 and counting)

I think those cars must sell like hotcakes, at least around here.

A week after I took that picture the display had something like half that number of cars.

A few days after that it was stocked again with an entirely different assortment, including ice cream and taco trucks, modern sedans and luxury cars, assorted Humvees, more little kiddie cars, and some very shiny race cars.

I guess one should just keep one's eyes open for what one is interested in.

This is a toy car display in a Walgreens near me (so I apologize for the busy backgrounds). The CVS near me has a similar display, and an independent toy store has a slightly different assortment from the same manufacturers.

toycardisplay1_zpsa07361d5.jpg toycardisplay2_zps91954468.jpg

Here are a couple of detail shots. Note the variety of time periods covered, from roughly the late 1920s through modern day. There are the usual fancy cars and sports cars, but there are also sedans, station wagons, and trucks. There are a variety of emergency vehicles, although the actual fire trucks are probably too small a scale. There are some silly painted cars and some with chunky cartoony proportions for younger children, but most are straightforward scale models.

toycardisplaydetail-1_zps427fc9fd.jpg toycardisplaydetail-2_zpsab7ab719.jpg

I see those same racks in grocery stores.