Summer 2014 Miniature Exchange

fanguad

I ll start it off, Im in the US and  into US, I think most things are ok unless they look liked Meds or hazardous chemicals or unknown liquids. 

It is practically the same worldwide, I think. But more than "hazardous", think suspicious.

I had issue with a little bag of fake snow, because white powder = cocaine. The little hobby leaves got tested then as well, just in case it was something drug-related. 

Liquids are mostly always a bad idea for an international package, unless they are clearly labelled from factory and small (a pot or two of reaper paint would probably be fine). Even then, I've had packages opened due of paint, because it looks to x-ray like some kind of medicine pot.

• Like 3

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

Since it got mentioned during the deliveries of the Winter exchange, that certain items can hold things up in customs.

Could everyone list out what could cause issues for the various countries?

4. If you are mailing internationally and plan to send more than just the one painted miniature, you must contact your recipient to get any "bonus items" approved. We don't want any trouble with customs.

Willen's experience is one that I want to make sure we learn from.  If you want to send an international partner something besides just a mini, you'll have to break anonymity.  We don't want surprises (well, except for the mini).

Edited by fanguad
  • Like 4

I'd say just keep it to solid matter that can't be construed as suspicious if you are sending to another country. Leave the basing powers, liquids, and putties to being shipped within your own country so it doesn't have to clear customs. 

• Like 2

So, after a little bit of contemplation, I decided on a mini to paint up for my exchange partner - trimmed off the base, primed, got my brown liner slobbering done, and then went to look at some inspiration gallery images to identify some of the fiddly bits correctly... and saw the exact mini painted by my exchange partners, better than I have any hope of doing.

Back to the drawing board!

• Like 4

I'd say just keep it to solid matter that can't be construed as suspicious if you are sending to another country. Leave the basing powers, liquids, and putties to being shipped within your own country so it doesn't have to clear customs. 

Yeah. I feel guilty because I kinda asked my partner for basing materials (not really, I did tell him I could not get materials here) and caused all the trouble on myself.

• Like 2

Yeah. I feel guilty because I kinda asked my partner for basing materials (not really, I did tell him I could not get materials here) and caused all the trouble on myself.

Nah, don't feel guilty. It was a learning experience. Now we know, and knowing is half the battle!

• Like 3

a bit off topic, whats the correct part of the forum to start a discussion/ask questions on how to create some godzilla like minis?

WIP if you are making/converting want feedback

Sculpting if you want to know how to sculpt them

• Like 1

I know what mini I'm painting~!  ::D:

It's one of my especial favorites too, which works out nicely because it perfectly fits the parameters of my partner's request! I'm so excited, I hope they love it as much as I do!  :bday:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 2

Since it got mentioned during the deliveries of the Winter exchange, that certain items can hold things up in customs.

Well, here in NZ pretty much any food is out except confectionary. 

Wood is allowed if it's well sealed. If you want to send a wooden base here, I would suggest painting and sealing the whole thing first, otherwise if it's stopped, it will be subjected to fumigation. I'm not sure I'd want to see the results of fumigation on a painted mini.  :down:

No animal or plant materials, so no "real" scenery logs or leaves. My Winter exchange partner sent tea-leaves, which got through but certainly wouldn't have if they'd opened it for inspection.

Other than that it's pretty much common sense. No white powders, but most artificial basing materials in retail packaging shouldn't have too many issues. Outside of retail packaging it's likely to be okay as long as it's obviously not real.

Thankfully we don't have import duties or taxes on this kind of stuff unless the value exceeds NZ$250 (US$200, or somewhere around there, they changed the limit recently so I'm not sure anymore), so unless an exchange partner is feeling incredibly generous, there shouldn't be any costs involved at our end.  ::):

I believe the Australian rules are very similar to ours (isolated ecosystems DON'T unite - under any circumstances!!), so you could assume these are reasonable guidelines.

• Like 3

Well, here in NZ pretty much any food is out except confectionary. 

Wood is allowed if it's well sealed. If you want to send a wooden base here, I would suggest painting and sealing the whole thing first, otherwise if it's stopped, it will be subjected to fumigation. I'm not sure I'd want to see the results of fumigation on a painted mini.  :down:

No animal or plant materials, so no "real" scenery logs or leaves. My Winter exchange partner sent tea-leaves, which got through but certainly wouldn't have if they'd opened it for inspection.

Other than that it's pretty much common sense. No white powders, but most artificial basing materials in retail packaging shouldn't have too many issues. Outside of retail packaging it's likely to be okay as long as it's obviously not real.

Thankfully we don't have import duties or taxes on this kind of stuff unless the value exceeds NZ$250 (US$200, or somewhere around there, they changed the limit recently so I'm not sure anymore), so unless an exchange partner is feeling incredibly generous, there shouldn't be any costs involved at our end.  ::):

I believe the Australian rules are very similar to ours (isolated ecosystems DON'T unite - under any circumstances!!), so you could assume these are reasonable guidelines.

Australia is pretty much the same, that is correct :ph34r:.

Something like tea can sometimes get though, if its in commercial packaging, sealed etc, but its a risk.

• Like 2

From my quite lengthy experience with travelling and customs, almost everything that looks organic / perishable / consumable NOT in a commercial package, sealed, and approved by the originating country's health and sanity department is very likely to be impounded. 

And sometimes even with commercial packaging. It has to due with some very important border rules about animal and plant diseases. Here it is very big because we export a lot of meat, wheat, soy... and the actual value of the country stock is highly dependant on maintening certifications that your crops and livestock is free from many diseases and afflictions.

• Like 3